270soft Forum

Fictional Municipal Election-2010

matvail2002

Next week or so, I will begin to work on a sort of municipal election from a fictional city called Notre Dame with three major parties and one smaller party.

Basically, these are the four parties:

-Civic Party (centrist incumbent party with an incredible party machine, been in power since 1956 and this with many realizations such a subway system, the 2008 Olympics and Expo 2002. However,the party had quite a lot of sleaze and corruption scandals since the 2005 election)

-ACT (Association of Consumers and taxpayers) (center-right party which is a grassroots movement made especially of citizens which were not happy of the forced amalgamation to form a megacity in 2000. It is very pro-direct democracy). Is strong with the middle class in former independent cities in the suburbs.

-City Project (center-left green party which is strong in a areas with are more left-wing. However, is sometimes considered out of touch with the average population with a platform which is considered too radical and not feasible)

-National Action Front (party that could be considered far-right with had a strong exposure after the immigration riots and this among working class White people which are living in more working-class districts). The city had a strong division between the West Side (middle and upper-class) and East Side (poorer in many areas and this with more recent immigration than in the West Side).

As is Paris, the city is divided in arrondissements (districts). There is ten in total:

1:Downtown core. Except for the Chinatown and a few newer condos, there is more the business district than anything else.

2:More of a bohemian and left-wing district, with a mix of affluent younger population, students and poorer working-class people as this district had been become very gentrified during the last 25 years.

3:A poorer part in the West Side with quite a lot of recent immigration from the African, Middle Eastern and Indian Peninsula countries.

4:Middle-class inner city district with a strong Italian and Portuguese Population.

5:Poorer area, with clashes between the white population and the non-white population.

6:Very rich and affluent area. The Beverly Hills of Notre Dame.

7:A very diversified district, with new middle class cities, Public Housing projects and Oil Refineries located with the biggest industrial park in the city.

8:A suburban very middle-class area. Many Commercial Centres are located in this area.

9:As the 8th district, suburban but divided between a lower-middle class area and new developments which is giving this district quite a population boom.

10:Upper-middle area. Used to be a separate independent city until 2000.

A few issues that I am thinking:

-Urban riots

-Congestion charge

-New bridge

-Airport expansion

-Immigration and asylum seekers

-New Mosque

-New central library

-New subway line

-Municipal taxes and fees

-Cycling Infrastructure (path, municipal bicycle rental)

-Relations with municipal workers

-Tramway project

-Urban sprawl

-Direct Democracy

-Public housing

One thing you may want to consider:

Rather than saying one additional new library you could have the issue be the system itself, with the right-wing position being cutbacks and the left-wing being additional spending.

Similarly for the transportation system: Cutbacks of varying degrees on the right, status quo in the center, new tramway/street cars on the left, new subway on the far-left.

Airport Expansion looks good.

New Bridge -> I guess this could work, would probably be tricky to regionalize properly, if its just one bridge be sure to locate what region its in and who it effects when exploring how this issue affects demographics.

Urban Riots has good potential, might be tricky to figure out which areas it affects positively and negatively. Are these race relations riots primarily in area 5?

Urban Sprawl is tricky, you might want to replace it by Municipal Development Board, where the left wing positions relate to curbing sprawl and the right-wing positions relate to reducing development restrictions.

Cycle Paths might want to be "Bicycling Infrastructure" this lets you do every option from nothing to on-road cycling lanes to completely separated paths.

Taxes is good, you may want to also include program fees.

Congestion Charge is a possibility, you might also want a broader spectrum of options here.

Does the city have unionized municipal workers and is outsourcing on the radar?

This is an option if you want the NAF to have good issues to campaign on. You can end up with lower taxes/reduce spending as a focus for the affluent regions and a non-appeasement stand on race riots to target the white vote in the poorer neighborhoods.

The typical campaign for City Project is tricky. They already have plenty of environmental issues so they could even have an entirely environmental campaign theme without addressing all the issues: Congestion Tax, Bicycling Infrastructure, Transit Infrastructure for instance leaves out airport expansion as a theme.

The ACT and NAF probably get a lot of similar issues I can see the ACT being pro-tax cut, pro direct-democracy as good central themes. The party should probably be less vehement on outsourcing or program cuts.

Is Education Municipal, Provincial or Federally run in your fictional city? If its municipally funded or municipally managed or both it should probably be on the radar.

Do you want intergovernmental relationships to be a potential issue, it has played well in mayoral campaigns in Toronto for instance. It's often a good issue for the center attacking the far-right or far-left, and there are plenty of areas where you need to get federal/provincial(or state) funding to carry out projects.

Do you want amalgamation to be an issue with marginal effects in 1 through 9 and a significant voter base in 10?

The NAF is not at all a fiscally conservative party. They are between CL and C on fiscal issues.

In the sense, the ACT is more libertarian on immigration like the Civic Party at C. They want a melting-pot model but are not against immigration. However, the NAF is R on immigration.

Is Education Municipal, Provincial or Federally run in your fictional city?

It is a provincial jurisdiction.

New Bridge -> I guess this could work, would probably be tricky to regionalize properly, if its just one bridge be sure to locate what region its in and who it effects when exploring how this issue affects demographics.

The district 8-9-10 would be firmly for the new bridge as strongly against amalgamation (they want a referendum on the subject).

Congestion Charge is a possibility, you might also want a broader spectrum of options here.

I will probably use the same issue as the London scenarios.

Treasurer or GOP Progressive, could you please make me a good map, if possible?

The typical campaign for City Project is tricky. They already have plenty of environmental issues so they could even have an entirely environmental campaign theme without addressing all the issues: Congestion Tax, Bicycling Infrastructure, Transit Infrastructure for instance leaves out airport expansion as a theme.

City Project is left-wing on environment things and CL on fiscal issues and immigration. They are a new party, so they are popular with some protest votes.

They are stronger on a few districts than others.

The NAF is not at all a fiscally conservative party. They are between CL and C on fiscal issues.

In the sense, the ACT is more libertarian on immigration like the Civic Party at C. They want a melting-pot model but are not against immigration. However, the NAF is R on immigration.

It is a provincial jurisdiction.

The district 8-9-10 would be firmly for the new bridge as strongly against amalgamation (they want a referendum on the subject).

I will probably use the same issue as the London scenarios.

Treasurer or GOP Progressive, could you please make me a good map, if possible?

If the making a map was directed at me, I have no experience making maps, so If I tried it I doubt it would be good. I'm also pretty busy over the next few weeks.

Sure.

3496wx3.png

2eusexh.png

2irrzvq.png

iw2ic2.png

I'm on a graphic design kick, so I'll design some flags too. Also a minor suggestion, maybe trim down the time the Civic Party has been in power (a 54 year hold on power would be amongst the longest in the democratic world) to something more realistic while still showing long term electoral dominance, say in the 20-30 yearish range.

With the scenario seemingly based in part on Montreal/Paris, for the national and regional flags I tried to draw inspiration from visual identity of various arrondissements, boroughs, and neighbourhoods from each place. For example, the regional flag of region 8 is a loose banner of arms for Mount Royal in Montreal.

National: 24q75p0.png

Region 1: 23ku2s4.png

Region 2: jv3xpx.png

Region 3: 5czrxt.png

Region 4: atn31t.png

Region 5: jjmbdz.png

Region 6: v8ey35.png

Region 7: 2i8wvmr.png

Region 8: 2a0g4mh.png

Region 9: 4lhzyf.png

Region 10: y09sm.png

With the scenario seemingly based in part on Montreal/Paris, for the national and regional flags I tried to draw inspiration from visual identity of various arrondissements, boroughs, and neighbourhoods from each place. For example, the regional flag of region 8 is a loose banner of arms for Mount Royal in Montreal.

National: 24q75p0.png

Region 1: 23ku2s4.png

Region 2: jv3xpx.png

Region 3: 5czrxt.png

Region 4: atn31t.png

Region 5: jjmbdz.png

Region 6: v8ey35.png

Region 7: 2i8wvmr.png

Region 8: 2a0g4mh.png

Region 9: 4lhzyf.png

Region 10: y09sm.png

Those flags are incredible, mind if I use them for a different scenario?

Archived