270soft Forum

USA 1948

I was working on one which I recieved from another, but my concentration I must admit slipped toward my other scenarios. It is not nearly ready, however. I'll give you what help I can, or if you wish, I can simply send you what I have.

Hi I am going to create a 1948 President Forever Scenario

might i suggjest a series of events saying something along the lines of "Dewey slow to campaign" which dramatically decreases his momentum, and one for "Truman charging ahead"

also, perhaphs add Eisenhower as a Democratic candidate. there was a modest push (Claude Pepper for example) for him to be the Dem's nominee

• Upvote 1

might i suggjest a series of events saying something along the lines of "Dewey slow to campaign" which dramatically decreases his momentum, and one for "Truman charging ahead"

also, perhaphs add Eisenhower as a Democratic candidate. there was a modest push (Claude Pepper for example) for him to be the Dem's nominee

Eisenhower was never affiliated with the Democrats and both parties were courting him to run in 1948. I say leave him out unless he is a Republican candidate set to "off".

I also think the series of events will help. The DNC, where Southern delegates walked out, would help the Dixiecrats' momentum. Humphrey's speech and the walk-out should help both Truman and the Dixiecrats.

There were other events too, like when the Republican-controlled Congress did nothing after Truman's challenge, or the guy yelled "Give 'em hell, Harry!" at the campaign stop.

I'd start Truman behind Dewey in the polls but give him slightly more charisma and energy, since his feisty campaigning essentially won him the election.

This is a situation where I wish you could turn off polling for a couple of months before the election, because that's actually what happened. That's part of why Truman's victory was soooooo stunning, since the last poll months before showed his approval rating in the low 30s.

I will make Eishenhower Independent also I need issues

Some issues:

Soviet Union

Civil Rights

Social Security

Public Housing

80th Congress

United Nations

Truman Doctrine

Marshall Plan

Fair Deal

Taft-Hartley Act

Health Care

Israel

Military Spending

Communist Influence

Thanks also I need event suggestions and state stats

Here are a few.

February 1 – The Soviet Union begins to jam Voice of America broadcasts.

February 25 – The Communist Party seizes control of Czechoslovakia, a day celebrated by that regime as "Victorious February" (Czech:"Vítězný únor"; Slovak:"Víťazný Február") until November 1989.

March 8 – McCollum v. Board of Education: The United States Supreme Court rules that religious instruction in public schools violates the U.S. Constitution.

April 3 - President Harry Truman signs the Marshall Plan, which authorizes $5 billion in aid for 16 countries.

April 5 – 1947-1948 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine: Haganah launches Operation Nahshon; beginning of the 1948 Palestinian exodus.

April 9 - The Deir Yassin massacre takes place in British Mandate of Palestine.

April 13 – The Hadassah medical convoy massacre takes place in British Mandate of Palestine.

April 18 – The first democratic general election with universal suffrage is held in Italy.

May 14 - The Declaration of Independence of Israel is made.

May 15 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: The British Mandate of Palestine is officially terminated; expeditionary forces from Egypt, Transjordan, Syria and Iraq enter Israel and clash with Israeli forces.

June 20 – The U.S. Congress recesses for the remainder of 1948, after an overtime session closes at 7:00 a.m. D.C. time (to be shortly interrupted by Truman's recall from Congressional recess for July 20, 1948).

June 24 - Cold War: The Berlin Blockade begins.

July 20 – Cold War: President Harry S. Truman issues the second peacetime military draft in the United States, amid increasing tensions with the Soviet Union (the first peacetime draft occurred in 1940 under President Roosevelt).

July 26 – U.S. President Truman signs Executive Order 9981, ending racial segregation in the United States Armed Forces.

August 15 – The Republic of Korea is established.

August 25 – The House Un-American Activities Committee holds its first-ever televised congressional hearing, featuring "Confrontation Day" between Whittaker Chambers and Alger Hiss.

September 9 – The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is formally declared, with Kim Il-sung as prime minister.

You can find a lot of state stats here:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

Click on "1948" on the left. It should give you percentages every candidate got in every state. There are also many tables which provide additional information.