270soft Forum

Alternate American History 101

Those that have been released, or are waiting to be released.

1980 - President Brown Reelection: Completed (Version 3, Version 4 to be released); http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XVUWILQ

1984 - Gary Hart vs. Jack Kemp (Gary Hart narrowly wins election): (Version 1) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FGWX0UES

1988 - Gary Hart Reelection: Currently Being Worked on

1992 - Planning Stages

1996 - Dream Stage

2000 - ?

2004 - ?

2008 - ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am really bored, and so I have decided to spend that time creating scenarios based on another I am in the process of creating, the reelection of President Brown in 1980. Basically, it is nothing more than alternate history, but I have had to do a lot of research, and it is very time consuming. I assume Jerry Brown would have been able to win reelection, albeit narrowly, since his energy proposals would have slightly alieviated the Oil Crisis, and there would likely have not been a hostage crisis in Iran. Also, he would have abandoned the price controls in favor of a balanced budget, allowing the economy to begin recovery early (In OTL, Carter kept the wage and price controls, which were later abandoned under Reagan). However, I am not sure where to go from there. Vice President Frank Church will be dying from Cancer in the middle of the 1984 primaries, and I am still trying to work out his term. We'll see.

As for 1980, who would be the candidates? Any that possibly decide to try and oppose Jerry Brown?

(I assumed that Ronald Reagan would bow out of the race, giving his support to Phil Crane. The main contenders as a result are George H. W. Bush and John Connally, with Phil Crane and John Anderson close behind. Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford are off candidates, as is Howard Baker.)

I am really bored, and so I have decided to spend that time creating scenarios based on another I am in the process of creating, the reelection of President Brown in 1980. Basically, it is nothing more than alternate history, but I have had to do a lot of research, and it is very time consuming. I assume Jerry Brown would have been able to win reelection, albeit narrowly, since his energy proposals would have slightly alieviated the Oil Crisis, and there would likely have not been a hostage crisis in Iran. Also, he would have abandoned the price controls in favor of a balanced budget, allowing the economy to begin recovery early (In OTL, Carter kept the wage and price controls, which were later abandoned under Reagan). However, I am not sure where to go from there. Vice President Frank Church will be dying from Cancer in the middle of the 1984 primaries, and I am still trying to work out his term. We'll see.

As for 1980, who would be the candidates? Any that possibly decide to try and oppose Jerry Brown?

(I assumed that Ronald Reagan would bow out of the race, giving his support to Phil Crane. The main contenders as a result are George H. W. Bush and John Connally, with Phil Crane and John Anderson close behind. Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford are off candidates, as is Howard Baker.)

Some Democrats who might oppose Brown:

Walter Mondale

Ted Kennedy

Lloyd Bentsen

Alan Cranston

Some more Republicans:

Bob Dole

Ben Fernandez

Who did Brown beat in 1976 in this hypothetical scenario? Ford or Reagan?

If Reagan, I'd throw Richard Schweiker in there, since Reagan promised to select him as VP in 1976.

Right when I start I get access violation

Wait, what? How exactly did that happen? It worked fine when I did initial testing before I released it. That is, unless you put Independent-Anderson on, I have been toying with putting him and Phil Crane on as possible independent characters, but I am not sure. If that is the case for the violation error, just leave him off. Otherwise, I need more information.

Alright, here is a new link for the scenario which works: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XVUWILQ

The other link is now invalid.

For those who do get the scenario, please post what you think of it, possible improvement, any errors, etc.

As for candidates, I am thinking of adding Lowell Wiecker, who was a possible in 1980 but ruled against it. With Reagan out of the race, he might have been more receptive to the idea and actually have ran.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have moved on to 1984. The premise is that Jerry Brown is able to comfortably defeat George H. W. Bush for reelection. By 1984, the economy is roaring after having recovered earlier, aided in part by Brown's endorsement of Jack Kemp's tax cuts. Afghanistan has become a Republic within the Soviet Union, but remains troublesome. Emboldened by this victory, the Soviet Union openly acts in concert with Iraq to try and overthrow the Islamic Republic of Iran (though this is limited to aerial support from bases in the Caucus and Central Asia, along with weapons and aid). Jerry Brown refuses to send aid to either Iraq or Iran. Iraq is able to make significant ground gains, but it's advance is halted in 1982 (much along the OTL line), but is NOT driven back to its border. The Democratic Party is in control of the House and the Senate.

The scenario will open up on December 12th. The reason for this is that Frank Church will on that date, while openly campaigning for the nomination, that he is suffering from Cancer, and will drop out to seek treatment. The result of this is that there will be a large amount of undecided voters (outside the home states) within the Democratic primaries, though whomever Church endorses (which will be decidedly powerful) will likely gain most of them. Those candidates will be Llyod Bentsen, Gary Hart, Jesse Jackson, John Glenn, Dale Bumpers, and Mike Gravl (There is no frontrunner since until the previous day, it was Frank Church). On the Republican side, the 1980 VP candidates Jack Kemp will be the frontrunner, followed closely by Howard Baker and Bob Dole. The major issues will be NASA (the budget having been increased to $94 billion dollars, with plans for beginning the establishment of a lunar base in 1987), the current proposed Balanced Budget Amendment (which has not yet been ratified by the required number of states), and (obviously) the Cold War, more specifically the Soviet Union's role in the Iran-Iraq War.

What do you think?

Worked pretty well. I played as Jerry Brown starting in the primaries.

I won every state, crushing Mondale and Bentsen. After a close-fought primary between Reagan and Bush, Reagan got the nomination and chose Crane as his VP.

Brownwinsre-election1980.jpg

As you can see, I dominated Reagan in the GE. The closest states were Indiana, Arkansas, Arizona, North Dakota and Alaska.

Interesting side note - had Jerry Brown won in 1976, he would've been the youngest president ever at 38.

I know......I didn't think of that until after I started the series. Well, at least I know the regionalism is working well, except maybe Nebraska. That should be difficult, but for some reason is easy to win as a Democrat. Same problem with North Carolina and Indiana. Idaho is only competitive when Jerry Brown is with Frank Church. Well, there is one more version I am working on for 1980 before I think it is done, basically text changes, possible third parties from the Republican side......

I need additional candidates for the 1984 scenario, and I really cannot think of any. Here is what I have right now.

Democrats

Gary Hart

John Glenn

Dale Bumpers

Jesse Jackson

Llyod Bentsen (off)

Republicans

Jack Kemp

Howard Baker

Bob Dole

George H. W. Bush (off)

I need additional candidates for the 1984 scenario, and I really cannot think of any. Here is what I have right now.

Democrats

Gary Hart

John Glenn

Dale Bumpers

Jesse Jackson

Llyod Bentsen (off)

Republicans

Jack Kemp

Howard Baker

Bob Dole

George H. W. Bush (off)

Democrats - Fritz Hollings, Rubin Askew, Alan Cranston, George McGovern, Joe Biden, Pat Schroeder

Republicans - Ben Fernandez, Pat Robertson, Pete du Pont, Paul Laxalt, Harold Stassen, Alexander Haig

Version 1 of 1984 has been released: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FGWX0UES

Enjoy! Tell me if there are any problems, glitches, etc. What is most important, however, is if the scenario is balanced. To me, it appears that it is, but I would like all of your opinions.

I'm playing it now.

At first glance, I've found that the Democratic West Virginia primary has been set to 6/5/1980 instead of 6/5/1984. I presume this was a simple typo.

The Democrats also start fairly significantly ahead in the general election. Did you intend for this to happen?

I'm playing as Gary Hart, and I've found that after winning only Maine, I've vaulted ahead in the polls to 5 points ahead of John Glenn and I'm favored to win the nomination. Also, I think Hart's Integrity should be lowered to 2, and his Charisma raised up to 4.

Also, I think Jesse Jackson should be a little stronger - he was quite formidable in both the 84 and 88 races.

I doubt there would still be a TV program called "America Held Hostage" in 1984, since the Iran Hostage Crisis ended in 1980.

I will let you know if there are any more problems I find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another interesting set of departure: Governor John Connally is responsible for the Bush family's position in politics. Nixon begged Connally to accept the position as his Sec of Treasury, which Connally only agreed to after Nixon agreed to find a position for Bush Sr. This led to a series of career moves by Bush Sr that ultimately led to his selection as Reagan's VP (the first election he actually won!), which of course led not only to his own presidency but also Bush Jr's (and Jeb's Governorship, for that matter).

So...what happens if the magic bullet takes one more detour and actually kills Governor Connally in Dealy Plaza?

• 1 year later...