270soft Forum

Old Presidential Elections Plans

I have the plan to do a scenario using some method, exploit, or set-up or other (probably somewhat different for each) for each of the US Presidential Elections between and including 1789 to 1860. I may, however, skip 1796 in honor of tb75's scenario, and 1820, as Monroe literally was standing completely alone in that election. I think some way can be found to run at least most of them, and I already have many ideas. Suggestions are, of course, welcome.

I thought about a couple of possible ways to do the 1820 election.

The first option is, you could have John Quincy Adams as Monroe's "opponent", since Adams was the only one to receive any electoral votes apart from Monroe. New Hampshire could be split, with Adams virtually guaranteed to win one electoral vote from the state. Someone like William Crawford could be set to "off" by default.

The second idea is, you could try and duplicate the 1789 scenario, and make the real race for the vice-presidency. A few electors split their tickets in 1820, and voted for Monroe and a Federalist VP.

Then again, the results were almost unanimous for Monroe and Tompkins, so anyone playing this scenario would have almost no chance of winning as anyone else.

I thought about a couple of possible ways to do the 1820 election.

The first option is, you could have John Quincy Adams as Monroe's "opponent", since Adams was the only one to receive any electoral votes apart from Monroe. New Hampshire could be split, with Adams virtually guaranteed to win one electoral vote from the state. Someone like William Crawford could be set to "off" by default.

The second idea is, you could try and duplicate the 1789 scenario, and make the real race for the vice-presidency. A few electors split their tickets in 1820, and voted for Monroe and a Federalist VP.

Then again, the results were almost unanimous for Monroe and Tompkins, so anyone playing this scenario would have almost no chance of winning as anyone else.

1820 is a troubling issue, and it's really the only one I'm tempted to skip entirely. It was probably the most boring US Presidential Election in the nation's history. One NH elector breaking ranks and voting for Adams was the only surprise or even remotely interesting feature.

I am of the opinion that the trickiest bit in this project is laying out the issues through time. I tried to compile a chart of eighteen issues across all elections, but never really got very far with it.

You might as well make 1820, since it probably wouldn't be very hard, and just have it be a kind of boring scenario.

1820 is a troubling issue, and it's really the only one I'm tempted to skip entirely. It was probably the most boring US Presidential Election in the nation's history. One NH elector breaking ranks and voting for Adams was the only surprise or even remotely interesting feature.

The only reason he broke ranks was to keep George Washington as the only unanimously elected president.

Generally, in old elections it will be hard to model the much longer travel and communication times. There were no railroads until the 1830's and no telegraph until the 1840's, and neither of them were transcontinental until the 1860's. In my CSA 1866 scenario, I made barnstorming very costly in terms of Energy Points to keep the travel down and made ads take several days to start and stop to try and replicate the slower communications. It didn't stop candidates moving from Virginia to Texas in one day, which was not possible back then, and the AI doesn't adapt its strategy to the changes (preferring to have its candidates falling out from exhaustion regularly).

I may actually expand my list somewhat, as I'm aiming for between the Revolutionary and Civil Wars as my timeframe, to include 1864 (during the Civil War) and, if I can use some alternate history (like I did with 1936, which I'll eventually get around to finishing) or other idea, the 1861 Confederate election (a P4E04 scenario had an idea on that I may capitalize on and update). I may also apply alternate history to 1820, with Adams being an active contender, and Crawford being a possibility (probably off-by-default in Crawford's case). I'm not sure yet.