270soft Forum

World Series

I was sitting around the other day and I had the following, admittedly quite random, idea for a fun little scenario:

Parties/Candidates:

National League

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee Brewers

Houston Astros

St. Louis Cardinals

Colorado Rockies

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Fransisco Giants

American League

Toronto Blue Jays

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Baltimore Orioles

Tampa Bay Rays

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Chicago White Sox

Minnesota Twins

Kansas City Royals

Texas Rangers

Seattle Mariners

Oakland A's

Anaheim Angels

The scenario would start sometime around the beginning of April, the general election would begin at the end of September, and the election would be sometime around Halloween/whenever the actual World Series usually ends. Obviously, it's not really mirroring the structure of the baseball season, since it's an election and not, you know, a baseball season. I'm fond of the idea, and I think it would be entertaining, but there are some major issues:

Issues. I can think of a few issues (Designated Hitter, Relief Pitching spring to mind as actual philosophical issues), but like on many of these eccentric-concept scenarios, eighteen will be tough. I don't really imagine the issues would be that important, though...

General Election Map: What to do about the general election? I figure the primary maps would just be regional; you know, Red Sox own New England, etc. But that doesn't seem to play in the general-election. Maybe fairly uniform support, but with major general-election boosts for the different candidates?

Apportionment: it seems strange to do the apportionment just by actual population, and not by baseball population. I wish I had state-by-state numbers on polls about baseball fandom, those would be really useful for this.

A few things that are not problematic:

Crusaders. I could imagine either famous players or famous managers here. Or both? Maybe one manager and a few players per team? Either way, it'll be cool. "Hank Aaron campaigns for Braves in Wisconsin!" or "Davey Johnson campaigns for Mets in Massachusetts!"

Attributes. I'm sorry, but the Yankees' Integrity score is not more than 2. Leadership 5, I'll give them that, but not heavy on the integrity.

Candidate funds. I figure I can just use their total payrolls from some recent year. The analogy fits.

Again, the idea isn't that it would be the baseball season, just that it's inspired by the concept of Major League Baseball.

Good scenario, I hope that a NHL (or NFL or NBA) scenario will be also in the works because there is many Canadian teams.

BTW, which team does people in the Edmonton area support?

It would be more interesting to add the Expos.

This is a good blackout areas map, to help you find the team territory:

MLB_Blackout_Areas.svg