270soft Forum

President of the World

So, I've always kind of cherished the idea of creating a worldwide election scenario; theoretically, one could even create a variety of world election scenarios from various points throughout history. My primary idea, though, proceeds from the idea that sometime in the near future there is formed some kind of world government, with a President to be elected by direct global election (now, given the mechanics of this game engine, one has to model that with electoral votes). There are several stages of issues to be addressed in making such a scenario:

1. There are a lot of countries in the world. And a lot of those countries are very small. Essentially, it is impossible to have each country represent one whole region; I think doing so just literally exceeds the maximum number of regions, and it definitely creates an unworkable map. So, how does one combine countries into voting regions that make a reasonable map but also maintain reasonable levels of pseudo-realism?

2. The usual issues about parties, candidates, etc., but with the added twists that there are very few real global parties, and many, many countries don't really line up with the European-style liberal democracy political axis (some of them by not particularly being democracies!).

3. There's never exactly been a world election, so it's hard to know exactly what the issues would be.

4. Endorsers...

I have attempted this several times in the past, and I have a current working division of nations into voting regions, and then I just did proportional EVs based on total population (roughly 1 EV = 8,000,000 people). I got it down to 66 regions, though of course with the unfortunate side-effect that of course I had to group together some countries that, you know, are mortal enemies etc.

As for parties, I figure that something like the following would likely occur: a Social Democrats party, a Conservative party, a Liberal party, a Communist party, the Greens, and (I suspect) an Islamic party. As for candidates, the only one I'm essentially certain of, were this to happen sometime soon, is Barack Obama. The hardest part, I suspect, is assigning party strengths across regions, and even harder, candidate strengths within primaries. (It also might depend whether or not you stipulate that all elections would be actually free, fair, etc. Otherwise, you know, it might be that no one but the Communists get on the ballot in China...)

As for issues, what I currently have:

Arms Control

Criminal Justice

Education

Environment

Executive Power

Free Trade

Global Warming

Health Care

Human Rights

Israel-Palestine

Judiciary

Judicial Authority

Labor Rights

National Sovereignty

Poverty

Taxation

Terrorism

Note that some of these are the kinds of issues that surround the establishment of a new governmental structure. I would be open to the idea of pretending like the world government wasn't new, and there wasn't a lot of wrangling to be done about its structure, if anyone has suggestions for better substantive issues to take their place.

As for endorsers... it's kind of a big world, and there are a lot of people/newspapers in it...

And then, finally, there's the fact that the current system is not really set up for multiparty elections. I've run a few tests with the versions I've come up with, and each party gets around 16% of the popular vote, and some EVs, and it goes to the "Congress," and I have trouble seeing how this could be otherwise. Maybe in the 2012 version they'll give us the option of plurality winner, or IRV, or something else to make a genuine multiparty election more interesting; maybe it's more possible to make a credible version of this as a Parliamentary election.

Anyway, that's the basic idea. Anyone have any suggestions?

I pondered this once. It would be alot like majority rule. We would have China win all the time by plurality as I assume they would vote as bloc for their single party.

China is only one third of the population and I don't think all the communist nations combine to make one half, Moldova's Communist Party isn't even really communist.

I did work on this once, but ditched it, I'm afraid. My biggest suggestion is that this would be better in Chancellor Forever than in President Forever; in PF2008, it'll behave like the old Democratic-Republican elections, because there are so many parties. I'll give you some input point-by-point according to the schema in the OP.

1. There are lots of potential large states; for instance, China and India will each have about 1/6 of the electoral votes. You can use regional blocs, like the European Union, to yield a few states. Much of Africa's demarcation is arbitrary anyway, so creating big states isn't all that much of an atrocity, especially when there are ethnic or historic connections like South Africa/Botswana/Lesotho/Swaziland, or Zimbabwe/Zambia/Malawi. Once you have shoehorned lots of countries into these megastates, you have enough to create individual small states, like maybe UK and Ireland, or Canada, or Myanmar.

2. The political cleavages would include Unification-Federalism-Nationalism, Left-Centre-Right, Liberal-Moderate-Conservative. Broadly speaking, the conservative and right-wing parties would be opposed to the creation of global institutions, global wealth redistribution, etc. However, at the extremes, it's likely that both far-left and far-right would agree on the necessity of nationalism, to let their countries do their own thing.

3. Lots of constitutional issues. Lots of questions like "foreign policy" and whether a world army is allowed to intervene.

4. Endorsers etc: I think you have to assume that any country participating in a world government is going to have to accede to free and fair elections. Even in the most extreme possible situation where this would happen, Europe or the USA aren't going to accept a settlement with up to 1/4 of the delegates being Asian Communists selected by their parties.

I did work on this once, but ditched it, I'm afraid. My biggest suggestion is that this would be better in Chancellor Forever than in President Forever; in PF2008, it'll behave like the old Democratic-Republican elections, because there are so many parties. I'll give you some input point-by-point according to the schema in the OP.

1. There are lots of potential large states; for instance, China and India will each have about 1/6 of the electoral votes. You can use regional blocs, like the European Union, to yield a few states. Much of Africa's demarcation is arbitrary anyway, so creating big states isn't all that much of an atrocity, especially when there are ethnic or historic connections like South Africa/Botswana/Lesotho/Swaziland, or Zimbabwe/Zambia/Malawi. Once you have shoehorned lots of countries into these megastates, you have enough to create individual small states, like maybe UK and Ireland, or Canada, or Myanmar.

2. The political cleavages would include Unification-Federalism-Nationalism, Left-Centre-Right, Liberal-Moderate-Conservative. Broadly speaking, the conservative and right-wing parties would be opposed to the creation of global institutions, global wealth redistribution, etc. However, at the extremes, it's likely that both far-left and far-right would agree on the necessity of nationalism, to let their countries do their own thing.

3. Lots of constitutional issues. Lots of questions like "foreign policy" and whether a world army is allowed to intervene.

4. Endorsers etc: I think you have to assume that any country participating in a world government is going to have to accede to free and fair elections. Even in the most extreme possible situation where this would happen, Europe or the USA aren't going to accept a settlement with up to 1/4 of the delegates being Asian Communists selected by their parties.

You can check the old Global president scenario.

http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/176437-PAKM/GlobalPresident-2006.zip

I also made an Solar System Parliament scenario which is pretty fun to play.

I think that a scenario with P4E+P will not be good because:

-You can win the electoral college with 30% in the vote if you can win big blocks.

-Some areas will not be competitive at all especially if you have a Communist or Islamic Party.

-Coalitions as in C4E would maybe be fun to play to have a majority.

Basically, you could work it on with six parties:

-Conservative (Center-right)

-Liberal (Centrist, pro-civil liberties)

-Social-Democrat (Center-left and more left-wing)

-Islamic Party

-Green (Green, pro-environment)

-Sovereignty Alliance (pro-nationalist party)

So, these could be the possible alliances:

Conservative

Liberal

Liberal

Green

Social-Democrat

Green

Islamic Party

Sovereignty Alliance

There are lots of potential large states; for instance, China and India will each have about 1/6 of the electoral votes. You can use regional blocs, like the European Union, to yield a few states. Much of Africa's demarcation is arbitrary anyway, so creating big states isn't all that much of an atrocity, especially when there are ethnic or historic connections like South Africa/Botswana/Lesotho/Swaziland, or Zimbabwe/Zambia/Malawi. Once you have shoehorned lots of countries into these megastates, you have enough to create individual small states, like maybe UK and Ireland, or Canada, or Myanmar.

I agree, however the map in the Old Global President Scenario was well done, but you could maybe cut the number of regions by a third. But there are some states, like Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, Mongolia or Iran which are very difficult to put with other states in a geographical region.

0 Andes

1 Arabia

2 Australia

3 Balkans

4 Brazil

5 British Isles

6 Canada

7 Carribean

8 Caucasus

9 Central Africa

10 Central America

11 Central Asia

12 Central Europe

13 China

14 Congo

15 East Africa

16 Eastern Europe

17 Gran Colombia

18 India

19 Indochina

20 Indonesia

21 Iran

22 Japan

23 Korea

24 Madagascar

25 Mexico

26 Middle East

27 Mongolia

28 North Africa

29 Pacific Islands

30 Pakistan

31 Philippines

32 Russia

33 Scandinavia

34 South-East Asia

35 Southern Africa

36 Taiwan

37 Turkey

38 USA

39 Venezuela

40 West Africa

41 Western Europe

I agree, however the map in the Old Global President Scenario was well done, but you could maybe cut the number of regions by a third. But there are some states, like Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, Mongolia or Iran which are very difficult to put with other states in a geographical region.

0 Andes

1 Arabia

2 Australia

3 Balkans

4 Brazil

5 British Isles

6 Canada

7 Carribean

8 Caucasus

9 Central Africa

10 Central America

11 Central Asia

12 Central Europe

13 China

14 Congo

15 East Africa

16 Eastern Europe

17 Gran Colombia

18 India

19 Indochina

20 Indonesia

21 Iran

22 Japan

23 Korea

24 Madagascar

25 Mexico

26 Middle East

27 Mongolia

28 North Africa

29 Pacific Islands

30 Pakistan

31 Philippines

32 Russia

33 Scandinavia

34 South-East Asia

35 Southern Africa

36 Taiwan

37 Turkey

38 USA

39 Venezuela

40 West Africa

41 Western Europe

Sounds like we are playing Risk

If the general consensus is that for now this scenario can't be done convincingly in the Presidential election engine, and that it would be better maybe to hope that the 2012 version is more suitable and in the meantime possibly work on a parliamentary version, does anyone have any ideas about which parliamentary game would be best? I don't really know the nuances of the different kinds.

I think my idea would probably be to give each individual actual country at least 1 representative, and then let countries with enough people (say over 10 million) get extra constituencies by population. Are there any games where it is possible to name the constituencies within a region?