270soft Forum

I have sometimes had the idea that it would be cool to make scenarios for every U.S. election, going back to 1792's Vice-Presidential race. It's a lot of work, obviously, but because of the ability to build each scenario over one only four years different from it, I don't think it's too bad. The main thing, I think, is the progression of issues through the ages. If there exist good, well-reputed versions of any given year, I would not, I think, bother trying to duplicate them, though I might like to use them as a kind of anchor-point (obviously, there are a lot of these for the last several decades). Things like candidates are pretty easy to set up, once you have the issues in place. Obviously, one can identify places where an issue was a big deal in a lot of successive elections, like slavery from the beginning to 1864 and then civil rights after that until quite recently. One might even be able to stick in a few optional alternate-history options, though off the top of my head I'm not remembering what those would be...

I have sometimes had the idea that it would be cool to make scenarios for every U.S. election, going back to 1792's Vice-Presidential race. It's a lot of work, obviously, but because of the ability to build each scenario over one only four years different from it, I don't think it's too bad. The main thing, I think, is the progression of issues through the ages. If there exist good, well-reputed versions of any given year, I would not, I think, bother trying to duplicate them, though I might like to use them as a kind of anchor-point (obviously, there are a lot of these for the last several decades). Things like candidates are pretty easy to set up, once you have the issues in place. Obviously, one can identify places where an issue was a big deal in a lot of successive elections, like slavery from the beginning to 1864 and then civil rights after that until quite recently. One might even be able to stick in a few optional alternate-history options, though off the top of my head I'm not remembering what those would be...

I have a mostly complete 1848 and 1936 scenario (just errors to fix in both), I'm currently collaberating on a 1860 scenario, and I'm planning 1789 (I have a neat idea to make it work), 1796, 1824, 1828, and 1840 scenarios. Many of the rest I would really like to see done, however.

As I said before in other threads. We need to have a more informed approach about the elections. For example the 1968 scenario puts Nixon and Agnew with 1 on Integrity? Maybe if this was the 1973 Nixon/Agnew but this is the perception the electorate has of them. Likewise the issues are recycled, I cannot say how many Governors races have Social Security as an issue.

Patine made a great snapshot of the issues in the 1848 campaign to my knowledge. But anyways, I know there are few of us here; just making a suggestion. I like most would love to see most elections we have had, I first bought Campaigns Forever with the intent to make the 1948 election...how tough that is.

As I said before in other threads. We need to have a more informed approach about the elections. For example the 1968 scenario puts Nixon and Agnew with 1 on Integrity? Maybe if this was the 1973 Nixon/Agnew but this is the perception the electorate has of them. Likewise the issues are recycled, I cannot say how many Governors races have Social Security as an issue.

Patine made a great snapshot of the issues in the 1848 campaign to my knowledge. But anyways, I know there are few of us here; just making a suggestion. I like most would love to see most elections we have had, I first bought Campaigns Forever with the intent to make the 1948 election...how tough that is.

There's a 1948 scenario for the original President Forever 2004 that is VERY hard to win as Truman. I agree, given his start in that campaign, he'd definitely need some edge through events, or Dewey would usually win.

As I said before in other threads. We need to have a more informed approach about the elections. For example the 1968 scenario puts Nixon and Agnew with 1 on Integrity? Maybe if this was the 1973 Nixon/Agnew but this is the perception the electorate has of them.

“Character is your qualification" has to go down as the most ironic campaign sign of all time, right? Seriously though, was Nixon ever really seen as a paragon of virtue?

For example the 1968 scenario puts Nixon and Agnew with 1 on Integrity? Maybe if this was the 1973 Nixon/Agnew but this is the perception the electorate has of them.

“Character is your qualification" has to go down as the most ironic campaign sign of all time, right? Seriously though, was Nixon ever really seen as a paragon of virtue?

Nixon was never seen as a man of integrity. When he contested the presidency against Kennedy in 1960, Kennedy went on the attack numerous times against Nixon's character. But I agree with the general point made by dwkulcsar - that's not enough to make him 1 on Integrity. I'd put Nixon on 3, or maybe 2 if you really wanted to be critical of him.