270soft Forum

Editing Campaigns Forever

Hey everyone,

I'm currently designing a new scenario using Campaigns Forever and was wondering if there is a way to use PR for the election instead of FPP. The option is mentioned in the Help file but doesn't seem to be available on the game (only for primaries)

Well, I read somewhere that you can edit this using Notepad to include the election itself although the process is rather complicated. Could anyone confirm this and if so how is it possible?

BTW, the scenario I'm creating is an alternate history re-run of the German 2002 and 2005 elections, but using the EV system throughout the 16 states rather than individual constituencies (as in Chancellor Forever) which I have also purchased.

For this to be a success though, I've realised tonight that PR is absolutely essential, otherwise every election will be an unrealistic SDP landslide.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. :)

Hey everyone,

I'm currently designing a new scenario using Campaigns Forever and was wondering if there is a way to use PR for the election instead of FPP. The option is mentioned in the Help file but doesn't seem to be available on the game (only for primaries)

Well, I read somewhere that you can edit this using Notepad to include the election itself although the process is rather complicated. Could anyone confirm this and if so how is it possible?

BTW, the scenario I'm creating is an alternate history re-run of the German 2002 and 2005 elections, but using the EV system throughout the 16 states rather than individual constituencies (as in Chancellor Forever) which I have also purchased.

For this to be a success though, I've realised tonight that PR is absolutely essential, otherwise every election will be an unrealistic SDP landslide.

To be honest, I've never heard of anyone successfully doing that, and certainly not for lack of desire. I've heard from those wiser than I that it can't be done, though I suppose there's a slim chance it can be done.

Thanks man. After reading through some of the older topics last night I started to realise that it looked like an impossible task. I don't know why TheorySpark don't just update Campaigns Forever to include PR. It seems to be a very popular suggestion all over the forum and would give everyone more scope and variety when creating new scenarios.

I know the game is supposed to be realistic, but its all about fun too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man. After reading through some of the older topics last night I started to realise that it looked like an impossible task. I don't know why TheorySpark don't just update Campaigns Forever to include PR. It seems to be a very popular suggestion all over the forum and would give everyone more scope and variety when creating new scenarios.

I know the game is supposed to be realistic, but its all about fun too. :)

Updating Campaigns Forever to include a PR option or an IRV option (like in Australian PM4E) would be a great idea! It would also be good if you could set the victory conditions to be based on popular vote.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

Editing is very simple.

Right click and choose open the electoral_units (something like that) file with notepad. Search for the phrase ">FPP/<" and replace it with ">PR/<". This will change every election (general + primaries) to PR. You can specify thresholds to receive EVs by adding "<cut_off>[number]</cut_off>" in a new line.

Editing is very simple.

Right click and choose open the electoral_units (something like that) file with notepad. Search for the phrase ">FPP/<" and replace it with ">PR/<". This will change every election (general + primaries) to PR. You can specify thresholds to receive EVs by adding "<cut_off>[number]</cut_off>" in a new line.

You serious? I mean,...You serious?

'Cause that's probably the closest thing to a holy grail this forum ever had. Such a shame we only find out about this now,...

It would be ideal if all future PM4E, P4E and C4E games came with options of FPP, PR, IRV and the Australian system, which is distinct from IRV. I've explained it in detail in another thread, but I'll explain the difference briefly here.

IRV takes the two candidates who placed first and second in first preference votes, and distributes preferences from other votes to those two.

The Australian system eliminates the last candidate (least votes), distributes their votes, then eliminates the second last candidate, distributes their votes, and keeps working like that until one candidate gets over 50%. In the 2010 Aus federal election, Andrew Wilkie won the seat of Denisen even though he came third in first preference votes. In IRV, he would have been eliminated and the 2PP would have gone to Lab vs Lib instead of Lab vs Ind.

Editing is very simple.

I just tried this and it remained in FPP. :(

It is more upsetting, because I have a scenario where every candidate that ran in 2008 is running in the general election, but it is impossible for anyone to win under FPP. Therefore, the "winner" is always randomly selected by Congress.