270soft Forum

Primary/Secondary/Ridings question

EGaffney

As the subtitle indicates, I can't figure out the relationship between the Primary-Secondary vote file and the ridings_data file. The guide at the top of this forum is of no use at all because it assumes a secondary vote figure without showing how it was calculated, and it doesn't explain what role the ridings data has in the final analysis.

1. How is the Secondary vote calculated?

2. What role does the ridings_data file have?

I know about the electoral system of Germany and my home province wanted to reform it's current system (it failed in 2007 with a referendum), so I quite know how it's working.

Basically, you have two votes in the same ballot:

The primary vote is the vote by riding, which is first past the post.

The secondary vote is the vote by party, with each region having a set number of seats being divided in a porportionnal matter with a 5% threshold in Germany or 4% for Sweden or Austria.

Basically, there can be differences between the primary and the secondary vote in a few ways:

-In many ways, if you want to vote for a smaller party you would do so in the secondary vote as bigger parties have a tendency to win primary (ridings) votes.

-If you like a candidate you can vote for him in the primary vote and vote for another party in the secondary vote.

So, if (for exemple) the system is applied in the UK, one may problably vote for the Conservatives in the primary vote and the UKIP in the secondary vote as they have a far greater chance of not winning the primary vote.

At the end, this means that smaller or one-issue parties will have a high number of turnaround between primary and secondary vote.

• Upvote 1

I know about the electoral system of Germany and my home province wanted to reform it's current system (it failed in 2007 with a referendum), so I quite know how it's working.

Basically, you have two votes in the same ballot:

The primary vote is the vote by riding, which is first past the post.

The secondary vote is the vote by party, with each region having a set number of seats being divided in a porportionnal matter with a 5% threshold in Germany or 4% for Sweden or Austria.

Basically, there can be differences between the primary and the secondary vote in a few ways:

-In many ways, if you want to vote for a smaller party you would do so in the secondary vote as bigger parties have a tendency to win primary (ridings) votes.

-If you like a candidate you can vote for him in the primary vote and vote for another party in the secondary vote.

So, if (for exemple) the system is applied in the UK, one may problably vote for the Conservatives in the primary vote and the UKIP in the secondary vote as they have a far greater chance of not winning the primary vote.

At the end, this means that smaller or one-issue parties will have a high number of turnaround between primary and secondary vote.

I'd like to think that I understand the German system. I just want to know the details of the two questions I asked.

1. How is the Secondary vote calculated?

By my research, it is by a combination of the ridings data in each region (which is the most important aspect) and the variable formed by the primary secondary conversion.

I think an engine limitation makes that a party with weak standings in the primary FPTP vote in a specific region, will be not strong in the secondary vote.

2. What role does the ridings_data file have?

Basically the same role as in PM4E.

One question though, is it possible to change the ratio of FPTP seats/total seats in each region, so that each region could have the same number of FPTP seats with the rest proportionnal to the total population of each region?

• Upvote 1

By my research, it is by a combination of the ridings data in each region (which is the most important aspect) and the variable formed by the primary secondary conversion.

I think an engine limitation makes that a party with weak standings in the primary FPTP vote in a specific region, will be not strong in the secondary vote.

Basically the same role as in PM4E.

One question though, is it possible to change the ratio of FPTP seats/total seats in each region, so that each region could have the same number of FPTP seats with the rest proportionnal to the total population of each region?

Thanks. I've never found a way to change the proportionality of the two types of seats, except using overhangs, and I can't think of a good use for those.