270soft Forum

1956 Presidential

Need some help on finding Delegate counts for the primaries. The Republican one is less important as only Eisenhower will be in the GOP column. The Democrats...I am wondering where do we find counts of these? I noticed one site has listings of delegates to convention but it also has disclaimers that it may be incomplete

1956 DNC

Here is a screenshot after 2 hours of putting things in place. I did not work on primaries yet...they probably will take longer.

1956preview1.jpg

Need some help on finding Delegate counts for the primaries. The Republican one is less important as only Eisenhower will be in the GOP column. The Democrats...I am wondering where do we find counts of these? I noticed one site has listings of delegates to convention but it also has disclaimers that it may be incomplete

1956 DNC

Here is a screenshot after 2 hours of putting things in place. I did not work on primaries yet...they probably will take longer.

1956preview1.jpg

This looks very good. If/when you finish this and someone takes up '72 and finishes it, we'll have every historical US presidential election from '56 to '08 straight represented in the community. I would like to see such a chain go back further, though, but how far back we can go continuously, especially before '48, is kind of iffy. Mrdie made and attempt at '32, but never got the primaries done. I've got an error-ridden 1848 and a good start on 1860, as well as my pretty-much-complete 1996, but right now I'm focusing on Washington 2008 and then Georgia 2010, with my speculative 2016 being fine-tuned but almost done. I hope to see this one done, though. Keep at it!

This looks very good. If/when you finish this and someone takes up '72 and finishes it, we'll have every historical US presidential election from '56 to '08 straight represented in the community. I would like to see such a chain go back further, though, but how far back we can go continuously, especially before '48, is kind of iffy. Mrdie made and attempt at '32, but never got the primaries done. I've got an error-ridden 1848 and a good start on 1860, as well as my pretty-much-complete 1996, but right now I'm focusing on Washington 2008 and then Georgia 2010, with my speculative 2016 being fine-tuned but almost done. I hope to see this one done, though. Keep at it!

really?

ironically the scenario i'd absolutly LOVE to have is the one i can't find: 1964

where's that?

really?

ironically the scenario i'd absolutly LOVE to have is the one i can't find: 1964

where's that?

My bad. I'd forgotten that there is no '64. I do recall a thread working on it, though, but no completed product. Sorry for being misleading. An honest mistake.

Well the pre '72 way of determing a candidate is hard. Like with Stevenson, he did not campaign at all in 1952, and with party bosses he won. And it seems like the same in 1956.

Basically, I think the most rewarding thing to do is effectively invent a primary season. It's not historically accurate, but it makes the gameplay a lot more fun, and you could simulate the effect of party bosses with endorsements & solid Stevenson leads and so on.

really?

where's that?

I started vaguely tinkering around with a '64 scenario a couple of days ago, so I might finish that at some stage, in which case I'll post it here.

1972 is the one I'm really dying to play, though. *sigh*

The thing is with Eisenhower. I am going to have him be the only GOP contender because an issue about his health will be one of the primary issues. I know we do not like Candidate centered issues but this is probably the only case aside from 1984 or 1996 when renomination was a shoe-in.

I am not taking emails to email the scenario out. When it is presentable, I will post a beta for it, so everyone can download it.

The thing is with Eisenhower. I am going to have him be the only GOP contender because an issue about his health will be one of the primary issues. I know we do not like Candidate centered issues but this is probably the only case aside from 1984 or 1996 when renomination was a shoe-in.

I am not taking emails to email the scenario out. When it is presentable, I will post a beta for it, so everyone can download it.

Don't forget 2004 for shoe-in renominations. I don't recall a single Republican even seriously considering contesting Bush.

BTW, who will Stevenson be up against (both on- and off-by default) in the Dem primaries in this scenario?

Edit: Never mind the above question. I just checked the link in your first post to see just who was running for the presidential and vice-presidential nominations.

One a sidenote, is Albert Gore of Tennessee, one of the veep candidates, the father or grandfather of Albert Gore III, Clinton's VP, because it couldn't be the younger one in 1956?

1956 Candidates:

Republican:

President Dwight D. Eisenhower

VP's:

Richard Nixon

Christian Herter

Harold Stassen

Wayne Morse

Prescott Bush

William Knowland

-I decided to add some VP's incase you decided Nixon needed replacement, it was said that they planned to replace him with moderate Governor of Massachussetts Christian Herter.

Democrat:

Governor Adlai Stevenson

Senator Estes Kefauver

Governor William Harriman

Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson

Congressman James Davis

Senator Stuart Symington

Governor John Battle

Governor Happy Chandler

Governor Frank Lausche

VP's:

Estes Kefauver

John F. Kennedy

Albert Gore Sr.

Robert Wagner

Hubert Humphrey

Luther Hodges

Al Gore Sr. is the father of Vice President Al Gore Jr., we know him best as just Al Gore.

• 5 months later...