270soft Forum

USA- 1972 AH

Here's an interesting scenario idea. At the 1968 republican convention presumptive nominee and former vice-president Richard Nixon is assassinated. In the aftermath of the assissination, formerly second place candidate Ronald Reagan wins the nomination and, with Nelson Rockefeller as his VP, is elected President narrowly.

Alright that's the scenario, so how do you all think Reagan's term in officer would turn out and what the issues would be for a '72 presidential election with him as the incumbent?

Well, I don't think Vietnam would have ended so quickly. And the Nixon recession might have still happened, but maybe with less of an impact thanks to Reaganomics, but that would also mean the National debt has increased by leaps and bounds already. And I would say the whole friendlier U.S. - Soviet relations wouldn't have happened, neither U.S. and China. Probably a large military build up also

To be honest, Reagan is a lot like Goldwater and Goldwater hated Rockefeller. Rockefeller would probably not be the VP, maybe John Tower or some other notable center-right Republican from a safe GOP state?

I named Rockefeller because he was the 3rd place candidate and Reagan would likely have needed his support in the convention.

I agree that the chances of Reagan picking Rockefeller would be slim and the chances of Rockefeller accepting from somebody like Reagan even slimmer as he was known to be a man of extreme principle. I think in all likelihood, Reagan would have either picked a center-right candidate or a known Rockefeller ally/supporter instead, like George Romney (who also tried running for President in '68) or Walter Hickel.

I think that Reagan wouldn't have had near the popularity of Nixon or he himself did later on as the national party was much more moderate then then it would be just 8 years later, and of course Nixon himself was actually fairly moderate in economic and foreign policy, two areas where Reagan was particularly hard-line right on. I think that the general would actually be fairly competitive with Reagan having a much lesser advantage than what Nixon did. I also think a lot more bigger-named Democrats would come out of the wood works. Here's some candidates that might have run:

Democrats:

Ted Kennedy (actually did try to run against Reagan in 1980, and expected by a lot of people to run in 1972 even after the primaries had started)

Hubert Humphrey (as more than just an anti-McGovern candidate and probably entering sooner then he actually did)

George Wallace

Ed Muskie

Eugene McCarthy (with probably a better standing then in real life)

George McGovern (I don't think McGovern would have run if Kennedy did as the Kennedy family and McGovern were close, but maybe)

Jimmy Carter (Southern Governor who could still likely sweep the South and could compete against Reagan as a centrist)

Scoop Jackson

And of course the other minor candidates like Shirley Chisolm and John Lindsay.

Republicans:

Of course Reagan, but I would consider putting in an off candidate like Rockefeller challenging him from the left as in real life 1972 was the only year the incumbent President DIDN'T get a serious challenge in the primary (Johnson v. Wallace, Johnson v. McCarthy, Ford v. Reagan, Carter v. Kennedy) in that period.

Here's the candidates so far, also fyi the new VP for Reagan is George Romney

Republicans

Ronald Reagan

Nelson Rockefeller

Democrats

Ted Kennedy

Hubert Humphrey

George Wallace

Ed Muskie

Eugene McCarthy

George McGovern

Jimmy Carter

Scoop Jackson

Mo Udall

Sam Harris

Walter Mondale

Stephen M. Young

Thomas C. Lynch

American Party

John G. Schmitz

I personally like John Tower; he is a Southerner but has some moderate qualities.

I also recommend John Connally, he was a Democrat for Nixon and served as Secretary of the Treasury under Nixon. Maybe we would change colors when the chance for the White House arose?

I like the enthusiasm with this, since this is just a alternate history one. How about throw in Mondale, it would splinter McCarthy and make it harder for him to carry a state.

I like this idea. Mondale would be a good Richardson 2008-style candidates.

• 2 weeks later...

If its alternative history why not put Robert F Kennedy up for the Democrats in '72 had he lost the 68 nomination narrowly he would be the presumptive in 72. Plus a Reagan-Robert Kennedy general election seems like an exciting prospect. Or leave him as a off-by-default candidate. Just an idea.

Also if, as AmericanDream said, Reagan had nowhere near Nixon's 72 popularity is it inconceivable that Agnew would have run?

Here's the candidates so far, also fyi the new VP for Reagan is George Romney

Republicans

Ronald Reagan

Nelson Rockefeller

Democrats

Ted Kennedy

Hubert Humphrey

George Wallace

Ed Muskie

Eugene McCarthy

George McGovern

Jimmy Carter

Scoop Jackson

Mo Udall

Sam Harris

Walter Mondale

Stephen M. Young

Thomas C. Lynch

American Party

John G. Schmitz

Add Libertarian Party canidate John Hospers,in the 1972 he won a electoral vote,and remeber,he was only on the ballot in Colorado,Washington and I think Virginia.

• 1 month later...