270soft Forum

Zion's 11th Gubernatorial scenario?

Having overcome the barrier of "cant be bothered" to finish the last glitchy scenarios i made (Michigan and Virginia), I'm left wondering what the next attempt should be.

Texas is WAY too numerous in counties to even try, so what should be next?

Welcome back, Zion!

I think you should do Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, or South Carolina, myself.

I'm still going to do Georgia and Washington, for my part, and have good maps, now. I was wondering if you might be up to offer assistance should I need it.

south carolina will be next. dont expect alaska for a while, its a bloody complicated map.

Speaking of maps, can someone email me the plain default background bmp?

Theoryspark used to have a link to download on the old forum, but since this new thing has come about, it doesnt seem to want to work anymore!

Z

south carolina will be next. dont expect alaska for a while, its a bloody complicated map.

Speaking of maps, can someone email me the plain default background bmp?

Theoryspark used to have a link to download on the old forum, but since this new thing has come about, it doesnt seem to want to work anymore!

Z

A good map was already made for Alaska and other good state maps were also made at the link below.

Alaska.jpg

Texas.jpg

http://s600.photobucket.com/albums/tt83/Mattydaniel/

• 4 weeks later...

Lets see, Gubernatorial elections which would really interest me:

Arizona, Colorado, Wisconsin, Missouri...maybe Kentucky.

You could try and be "out there" by doing states like North & South Dakota, Kansas, Oklahoma, Utah, West Virginia etc etx.

Though I realize it would be a lot of work, Texas would be one of the best scenarios possible. The competitive GOP primary in 2010 plus a resurging Democratic party would make a great gameplay experience. To get around the problem of counties, why not use congressional districts? That would still make it fairly specific without the incredible workload of the counties.

As a second place, Minnesota would be pretty good.

Though I realize it would be a lot of work, Texas would be one of the best scenarios possible. The competitive GOP primary in 2010 plus a resurging Democratic party would make a great gameplay experience. To get around the problem of counties, why not use congressional districts? That would still make it fairly specific without the incredible workload of the counties.

I could NOT agree more....the Republican Primary ALONE would make this scenario interesting enough to try, much less the unpredictable General Election. My only suggestion would be, the scenarios seem much more in-depth when the maps are made on a county-by-county basis. The "district-look" seems so old fashioned (ala President Forever 2004 scenarios), and I think the county-by-county look on much of the 2008 President Forever + Primaries scenarios is what makes it look so up-to-date. I'd be willing 5o help with the map making (with a little instruction, of course).

I could NOT agree more....the Republican Primary ALONE would make this scenario interesting enough to try, much less the unpredictable General Election. My only suggestion would be, the scenarios seem much more in-depth when the maps are made on a county-by-county basis. The "district-look" seems so old fashioned (ala President Forever 2004 scenarios), and I think the county-by-county look on much of the 2008 President Forever + Primaries scenarios is what makes it look so up-to-date. I'd be willing 5o help with the map making (with a little instruction, of course).

The problem with counties is that unlike in other states, we have 254 counties, which is frankly an unreasonable amount of work to expect someone to do. There's still 32 districts in the state, so it's not like its lazy to do it that way. It still provides for a very specific result, and it's probably easier to chart the political alignments that way. (For example, Harris County contains the City of Houston but also some very conservative and wealthy suburbs. In contrast, the districts in the county are able to show the division between different parts of the area)

I'd say group regions together but still have a fair amount of districts. Like some states are so small they have only several counties, so what you do is, break them up. Do the reverse here, Texas has 254 counties? Merge some together into say 70 areas, you will not have the balance that congressional districts bring but you will have atleast a variety of places to go. For one, alot of Texas is rural those would be the larger areas to let alone. However some large cities have differences with its counties. For example in Connecticut there is only 8 counties, Hartford county is large in size and population. Too much to risk when you are working with this Game's Electoral System; what I did with Hartford was split it up into 4 areas. 2 inner-city districts, 1 suburb district and 1 rural district. There you have 2 Liberal areas, 1 Center-Right area and 1 Right area. Now this will not be the same for everywhere but this is an example one can follow when making a map up. Regions are a good place to start. Maybe perhaps not dividing up counties and taking hints from Congressional districts.

I'd say group regions together but still have a fair amount of districts. Like some states are so small they have only several counties, so what you do is, break them up. Do the reverse here, Texas has 254 counties? Merge some together into say 70 areas, you will not have the balance that congressional districts bring but you will have atleast a variety of places to go. For one, alot of Texas is rural those would be the larger areas to let alone. However some large cities have differences with its counties. For example in Connecticut there is only 8 counties, Hartford county is large in size and population. Too much to risk when you are working with this Game's Electoral System; what I did with Hartford was split it up into 4 areas. 2 inner-city districts, 1 suburb district and 1 rural district. There you have 2 Liberal areas, 1 Center-Right area and 1 Right area. Now this will not be the same for everywhere but this is an example one can follow when making a map up. Regions are a good place to start. Maybe perhaps not dividing up counties and taking hints from Congressional districts.

Okay, fair enough. I suppose 254 counties is a bit much. I think the notion of splitting the state into multiple "areas" is a great idea, like the above post. Maybe make it simple, and split it into 50 areas (like the 50 states).

i'd really appreciate a Iowa governorship 2010 scnario. despite being quite liberal i'd love to play as someone against Chet Culver.

also, it's not that hard because

1. one whole side is republican

2. the few cities are really democratic, excluding some which i'd be willing to help on

please consiter it

Having overcome the barrier of "cant be bothered" to finish the last glitchy scenarios i made (Michigan and Virginia), I'm left wondering what the next attempt should be.

Texas is WAY too numerous in counties to even try, so what should be next?

I know you are making South Carolina next,but after that please make an Oregon gubernatorial scenario.