270soft Forum

American Spark Series

The American Spark Series Introductory Post

Hello Everyone,

I know that I have attempted this a few times in the past, and recently I played through my old scenarios. The scenarios I am referring to are the fictional Presidential election scenarios. Anyway, I have taken those ideas and decided to create one final scenario series. I have most of the issues down and all I need are the candidates. Basically, the series takes place in 2000 with the retirement of the liberal Republican President, Russell Belstad. Belstad is serving out his second term with an approval of roughly 45%. He hopes his party can retain the White House, but because of a crowded primary for both sides, no one party has the lead. Next, the series will go until I have no characters left to use. I am looking for your help in creating these characters. I have looked through many of the scenarios I have and have found 173 avatars for scenarios. I would like your help with the candidate's name, occupation, spouse, campaign manager, party, avatar (I will provide the ones I am using), state, children, and brief bio. The occupation can range anywhere from being Vice President, to being a member of the Cabinet, Supreme Court, Senate, or House of Representatives. They can also be an Ambassador, Governor, or Mayor. I will keep a spread sheet to see all of the info I have and all the info needed. I think it would be very neat to see if this game can go up to 2036 or 2040. Here is what a model bio sheet should look like:

NAME:

CAMPAIGN MANAGER:

SPOUSE:

CHILDREN:

STATE:

BIO:

POLITICAL VIEWS: Liberal, Conservative, Moderate (If a notable issue sticks out, please mention, such as a very liberal senator who opposes abortion.)

PARTY:

I would appreciate any help I can get. In my next post, I will list all of the avatars I plan to use during the series. As avatars are picked and posted in this thread, I will remove them from the list. This could be a very interesting series and I have spoken to some of you and I know some of you think this could be very cool. All the help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I have helped many of you with candidates, now won't you return the favor?

--Matty

Female

• Alexa McDonough
  • Anne McLellan
  • Becky Lourey
  • Carol Moseley Braun
  • Carol Shea-Porter
  • Carole James
  • Caroline Lucas
  • Christine Smith
  • Claire McCaskill
  • Condoleezza Rice
  • Cynthia McKinney
  • Helen Clark
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton
  • Jean Turner
  • Jeanette FitzSimmons
  • Judy Turner
  • Kathleen Blanco
  • Kathleen Sebelius
  • Kay Bailey Hutchison
  • Kim McMillan
  • Lisa Murkowski
  • Lucy Baxley
  • Mary Landrieu
  • Melissa Hart
  • Nancy Pelosi
  • Olympia Snowe
  • Patty Wetterling
  • Shannon O'Brien

Male

• Al Gore
  • Alan Keyes
  • Arif Khan
  • Art Olivier
  • Artur Davis
  • Barack Obama
  • Ben Nelson
  • Bernard Lord
  • Bill Blaikie
  • Bill Bradley
  • Bill Frist
  • Bill McCollum
  • Bob Graham
  • Bob Rae
  • Bob Riley
  • Bob Taft
  • Bobby Jindal
  • Brian Mulroney
  • Brian Tobin
  • Craig Benson
  • Dan Quayle
  • David Kramer
  • Dennis Kucinich
  • Dick Cheney
  • Dick Durbin
  • Don Siegelman
  • Don Stenberg
  • Donald Rumsfeld
  • Ed Rendell
  • Eliot Spitzer
  • Erskine Bowles
  • Ethan Berkowitz
  • Frank Murkowski
  • George Pataki
  • Gordon Campbell
  • Gordon Smith
  • Grant Devine
  • Hans Weigel
  • Harry Reid
  • Jack Weisgerber
  • Jean Charest
  • Jeff Kottkamp
  • Jim Bryson
  • Jim Bunning
  • Jim Douglas
  • Jim Doyle
  • Jim Turner
  • Joe Hoeffel
  • Joe Lieberman
  • John Ensign
  • John Peyton
  • John Rowland
  • John Sharp
  • John Sununu
  • Jon Kyl
  • Jon Tester
  • Kelly Dornan
  • Kenny Guinn
  • Kim Beazley
  • Liam Fox
  • Lincoln Chafee
  • Mark Dayton
  • Mark Green
  • Mark Kennedy
  • Mark Pryor
  • Mark Sanford
  • Mark Warner
  • Matt Brown
  • Max Linn
  • Mike Ciresi
  • Mike DeWine
  • Mike Easley
  • Mike Harris
  • Nandor Tanczos
  • Paul Helleyer
  • Pete Ricketts
  • Peter MacKay
  • Richard Burr
  • Rick Perry
  • Rick Santorum
  • Rod Donald
  • Russ Feingold
  • Sam Brownback
  • Shawn Graham
  • Tom Corbett
  • Tom Vilsack
  • Tommy Thompson
  • Willie Herenton
  • Zach Wamp

Avatars That Must Correlate With A Certain State:

• Alex Sink (Florida)
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger (California)
  • Bill Richardson (New Mexico)
  • Bob Ehrlich (Maryland)
  • Brad Henry (Oklahoma)
  • Chris Bell (Texas)
  • Christine Gregoire (Washington)
  • Janet Napolitano (Arizona)
  • Michael Steele (Maryland)
  • Ted Strickland (Ohio)

NOTE: Please do not respond to this post considering how long it is.

Edited by Matty1019

NAME: Paul Simard

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Doug Smith

SPOUSE: Hélène Simard

CHILDREN: 2

STATE: Maine

BIO: A Franco-American radio host and popular Maine state senator from Aroostook County, Simard is widely known as a right wing (Blue Dog) democrat. Simard is also known to be an hunting rights activist and a avid hunter.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centrist but pro-hunting (firearms) and anti-gun control.

PARTY: Democratic

NAME: Ed Kent

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Bob Allan

SPOUSE: Michelle Haines Rockefeller

CHILDREN: 3

STATE: New York

POLITICAL VIEWS: Pro-business economically but centrist socially.

BIO: A self-made real estate and retail billionaire, Kent was widely known for his extravagant stunts, especially since the opening of his first Kent Megastore in New York City when he bungee jumped from the roof to have some publicity.

PARTY: GOP

NAME: Sarah Klein

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Bob Allan

SPOUSE: Bob Wiseman

STATE: Iowa

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centrist Republican, but pro-choice.

BIO: As the popular two-term former mayor of Des Moines first elected at the tender age of 30, Klein was well admired for balancing the city finances after rough times. She has quite a lot of experience for relative her young age (38) in the political arena.

NAME: Sam Bartlet

CAMPAIGN MANAGER:Leo Venezia

SPOUSE:Michelle Bartlet

CHILDREN:3

STATE: New Hampshire

BIO: A former state rep., congressmen and now Governor of New Hampshire, Bartlet hopes to bring his liberal policies to the white house.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Liberal on most issues

NAME: Vincente Lopez

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Michael Harlan

SPOUSE: Esmeralda Lopez

STATE: California

BIO: The former head of the Janitors for Justice Campaign, Vincente Lopez was elected Mayor of Los Angeles, and then finally Senator from California. He has a strong appeal to Hispanics and other minorities, and focuses on both labor and environmental issues.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Social Democratic-Liberal

NAME: Charlotte Rubin

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Mike Adams

SPOUSE: Israel Rubin

CHILDREN: 1

STATE: Florida

BIO: A hawkish "War on Terror liberal," Charlotte Rubin is a moderate Democrat who aspires to become the first Jewish-American President of the United States. Can she achieve this dream?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Social Liberal, Economic Moderate, Foreign Policy Hawk

NAME: Robert McDaniel

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: William Bush

SPOUSE: Jillian McDaniel

CHILDREN: 4

STATE: Oklahoma

BIO: An "Okie from Muskogee," McDaniel is an Evangelical Christian and a stalwart Conservative. He hopes to win the Presidency by running on family values, national security, and a balanced budget.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Conservative except moderate on taxes (he's a fiscal conservative rather than a supply-sider)\\

NAME: Sean Collins

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Rudy McCain

SPOUSE: Namrata Collins

STATE: Arizona

BIO: An accomplished Senator from Arizona, Sean Collins plans on becoming the first Irish-American and Roman Catholic to win the Presidency since John F. Kennedy. His strong environmental record may appeal to independents, but can he keep his base in line with tax cuts, social conservatism, and a hawkish foreign policy?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Conservative but centrist on the environment, immigration, and energy

NAME: Greg Jensen

OCCUPATION: Governor of Washington, Former Rep WA-2, Former Chair on the Oversight and Reform Cmte.

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Thomas Cohen

SPOUSE: Cornelia Jensen

CHILDREN: Robin Jensen, Rep. Charles Jensen of California

STATE: Washington

BIO: Popular sitting two term Governor of Washington; former representative, Jensen is the nations first Atheist Governor. Jensen is known for liberal but also reformist tendencies, and known for few scandals. Going to great lengths for campaign finance reform and fusion elections in his state of Washington.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Left on Social Issues, Pay as you go on Economics, Centrist on Defense, Center Left on everything else

Name: Carl Henderson

Party: Republican

Campaign Manager: Fred Klein

Spouse: Delia Henderson

Children: none

State: Missouri

Bio: Fresh on his third term as Senator, Carl is already a Party Whip. He is rather forceful in enforcing party loyalty. He was a Deputy Secretary of Transportation in the 1980's. And seems to be rather vocal in his opposition to the Democratic party, a great debater but seems to be narrow minded to the opposing view point.

Political Views: Center-Right on social issues, Far left on Economics, Right on Defense, Center on whatever else.

NAME: Sharon Mahoney

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: James Franken

SPOUSE: Richard Mahoney

STATE: Oregon

BIO: Former Mayor of Portland, she has currently served over 20 years in the US senate, known to have great stamina when on the election campaign, but does lack some charisma, but overall, a reliable senator.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centre-right on Gay Marriage, centre left on Women's rights and Equal Pay, centrist on most other issues.

PARTY: Democrat

NAME: Miguel Heenan

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Harold Bellamy

SPOUSE: Cindy Heenan

STATE: New Mexico

BIO: Governor of New Mexico (2003-present), former New Mexico Senator (1991 - 2003)

POLITICAL VIEWS: Controversial "new-age" Republican, who has wooed the New Mexico Hispanic population, has alienated some GOP colleagues, over a centre-left platform on gun ownership, but is balanced out by centre-right stance on immigration and law & order. Centrist mostly elsewhere.

PARTY: Republican

NAME: Charles Hamill

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Bill Spitzfield

SPOUSE: Suzanne Crawford

CHILDREN: 0

STATE: Connecticut

BIO: Mayor of Hartford (1994-1998), Senator of Connecticut (2000-Present), well-educated at Yale University, New Haven. Studied Government & Law. Not the most personality-driven, but a very skilled debator. Very media-savvy too, with his own blog and youtube channel.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centre right on education but centre left on economy and taxes.

NAME: Andrew Edison

OCCUPATION: Governor of Oregon, Former Mayor of Portland, businessman.

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Uh... John Smith...?

SPOUSE: Maria Edison

STATE: Oregon

BIO: A relatively young, popular Governor of Oregon, Edison was originally a software millionaire before being elected Mayor of Portland. Elected as Governor after just a single term as Mayor, Edison has also served a mere single term as governor. Running as 'change' candidate, his relative inexperience may prove to be both a boon and a burden.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Left on the environment and healthcare, centre-left on the other social issues , centre-left on the economic issues.

EDIT: Hey look, we've got two former Portland Mayors.

Another:

NAME: Harry Russell

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: James McGovern

SPOUSE: Lisa Russell

AVATAR: Howard Dean (obviously :P )

STATE: Vermont

BIO: Harry Russell served as a state senator for twelve years, before being elected the Governor of Vermont. Russell was notable for his enthusiastic following amongst progressive groups, even though his positions were relatively centrist. A firebrand populist, Russell is running a groundbreaking grassroots campaign for the Presidency.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centre-right on taxes, government spending, gun-control. Centre-left on social issues.

May add more later.

NAME: Paul Hill

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Lydia Johnson

SPOUSE: Nicola Commons

STATE: Rhode Island

BIO: Born in the US to a British father and an American mother, Paul Hill spent much of his childhood in London, returning to America at 15. After spending time as a political adviser and then as Rhode Island's Attorney General, he rejected an offer of an ambassadorship before becoming Governor four years ago. Hill is articulate, affable and popular in his home state, but will he - and his hybridised accent - be perceived nationally as "too foreign" to be Commander-in-Chief?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Liberal, and internationalist

NAME: Amy Kucera

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Daniel Hyde

SPOUSE: Greg Summers

STATE: Mississippi

BIO: When Kucera first dipped her toes into politics at 29, she was seen as one of the GOP's highflyers, but disappointed many by quitting after two terms. Settling into a career in academia and the media, Kucera became a controversial but influential advocate for the paleoconservate movement. Now, dissatisfied with the GOP's more liberal direction, Kucera is again running for election: but this time, she's going for the Constitution candidacy. Can she use her high media profile to draw in discontented GOP supporters and build a new conservative coalition?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Paleoconservative

PARTY: Constitution

NAME: Russell Linnane

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Sean Hanlon

SPOUSE: Laura Linnane

STATE: Alabama

BIO: Linnane began his Senate career thirty years ago as a staunch conservative, and has not moved from that position since. An unashamed ideologue with a committed older constituency, Linnane has had his fair share of challenges from moderate candidates of both parties, and escaped being unseated by the skin of his teeth two years ago. Ousted from his position on the Senate Judiciary Committee after pressure from the Belstad White House, Linnane is now himself seeking the White House.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Very conservative

NAME: Sharon Mahoney

BIO: Former Mayor of Portland, she has currently served over 20 years in the US senate, known to have great stamina when on the election campaign, but does lack some charisma, but overall, a reliable senator.

You can't become a Senator unless you're at least 30 years of age. :)

NAME: John D. Bishop

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Leon Knox

SPOUSE: Mary Bishop

STATE: Louisiana

BIO: The charismatic Southerner made his fortune on Wall Street and as a lobbyist, before returning to Baton Rouge to become Governor of his home state. Some see him as a second Clinton; others say he is too close to big business to succeed as a Democrat nationally.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centrist Southern Democrat

NAME: Michael Cowley

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Marcus Wall

SPOUSE: Emma

STATE: Illinois

BIO: Mayor of Springfield and then Attorney General for the state, Cowley handily took an open Senate seat against weak opposition recently. His undoubted charm and wit will help him, but has he enough experience, executive and electoral, to be taken seriously?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Liberal, very left on labour issues

NAME: Jack Hardiman

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Lewis Gower

SPOUSE: Penelope Walton

STATE: Virginia

BIO: The "ultimate technocrat", Hardiman has served on two Presidents' cabinets, including two years as Secretary of State, as well as having been Drug Czar and Ambassador to the UN. Is this CV, rather than his electoral experience, enough to get him through the primaries?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centre to centre-right on moral issues, right on economics and defence

NAME: Mary Ann Brown

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: R. Marty Stein

SPOUSE: Thomas Lerwick

BIO: An Orange County representative and a former media executive, Brown is well-known in GOP libertarian circuits as a leader of their tendency.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Moderate libertarian. Right-wing on economics, left-wing on most social issues, centrist on defence.

NAME: Allen Director

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Robert Hernandez

SPOUSE: Janet

CHILDREN: 5

STATE: Nevada

BIO: Allen Director was a House leadership figure who became Governor of Nevada four years ago. He is experienced and competent, but is America ready to elect a Mormon President?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Conservative

NAME: Brian Edwards(46)

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Jim Dellinger(51)

SPOUSE: Brooke Edwards(44)

CHILDREN: Beau Edwards(8), and Tim Edwards(6)

STATE: North Carolina

BIO: Former Congressman from the 4th district elected at 26 served until 34, elcted governor served 2 full terms from 34-42, elected to senate has been in senate 4 years.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Liberal on most issues. Conservative on abortion. Pro Gay Marriage.

NAME: Jeremiah Crawford

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Don Neal

SPOUSE: Taylor Crawford

CHILDREN: Carrie(16)

STATE: Massachusetts

BIO: Was a state senator for 2 terms then moved onto the govrnor's mansion. Has been governor for 1 term and feels the time is right to run for president.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Liberal, Pro Choice, Pro Gay Marriage, Against gun rights.

NAME: Ted Clancy

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Les Clarke

SPOUSE: Janice Clancy

STATE: North Dakota

BIO: Hardline Republican formerly a senator in neighbouring South Dakota (1985-2002), was a former New York Stockbroker in the 70's.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Will delight the hardcore Republican electorate, a strong believer in the free market and gun ownership. Charismatic but blighted by extra-maritial affair publicised back the in late 80's.

NAME: Bob Davis

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Daron Hurrier

SPOUSE: Elena Burger

STATE: Colorado

BIO: Bob Davis was Speaker for two years during the Belstad Administration. An electoral reversal and his firmly right-wing leadership of House Republicans led to his demise as Speaker. He has used his time since then to portray himself as the leader of discontent in the conservative movement, which increasingly sees the dominance of liberal Republicans as no better than a Democratic administration.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Very conservative, especially on tax-and-spend issues.

NAME: Carlos Diaz

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Jim Tragg

SPOUSE: Christina

STATE: Florida

BIO: Carlos Diaz is one of the most senior Cuban Americans in politics. A former US representative and Secretary of Commerce, Diaz wants a firm line on maintaining free trade and US influence in Latin America.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Conservative hawk.

NAME: Dick Stoyenberg

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Wallis B Richmond

SPOUSE: Elsie

STATE: Ohio

BIO: One of the country's foremost liberal Republicans, Stoyenberg was his party's leader in the Senate until his bid for the Presidency began. He will have to deal with grassroots hostility, especially on abortion, but he is well-funded and has been planning his campaign for years.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centrist on moral and social issues, moderate conservative on others. Favours status quo on abortion.

NAME: William Martin

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: LJ Smith

SPOUSE: Elizabeth

STATE: Georgia

BIO: An Atlanta attorney noted for his uncompromising stance on poverty, William Martin wants to highlight this issue in the Democratic primaries. His success is likely to be limited by his lack of electoral political experience.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Left on most issues including economics. Against gay marriage, non-committed on abortion.

NAME: Gen. Mark Bayliss

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Ben Plovis

SPOUSE: Patricia Maye

STATE: Montana

BIO: General Mark Bayliss was highly decorated for his service in combat, and returned home as a veritable hero to his small home state. He must now try to extend his undeniable popularity among the public at large to the Democratic Party's base, a different proposition altogether when one accounts for his relatively hawkish views.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centre-left, but centre-right on defence and security issues.

NAME: Chuck Caulfield

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Mark Strood

SPOUSE: -

CHILDREN: 0

STATE: Pennsylvania

BIO: Noted first as a media opponent to NAFTA and then to Belstad's labour policies in general, Caulfield turned his national profile into a famous gubernatorial victory. Gov. Caulfield hopes to appeal to blue-collar Democrats, but will he be able to build momentum in early primaries?

POLITICAL VIEWS: Centre-left, left-wing on economic issues. VERY anti-free trade.

NAME: Paul Westenra

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Stephen Corbett

SPOUSE: Meredith Westenra

BIO: Westenra made his name and wealth as a businessman, but quit the private sector to pursue the mayoralty of San Francisco. His bid was unsuccessful despite plunging millions into the race, with persistent doubts about his abrasive and undiplomatic personality. He was subsequently courted by a small group of Libertarian powerbrokers, who hope that his wealth will help give the party a greater national profile.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Right-wing on economic issues, socially centrist

PARTY: Libertarian

Matty, could you post a summary of what happened in this timeline up to 2000? In particular, why does a Republican president have to retire? That is, presuming he took office in 1992 instead of Clinton, what happened to George Bush?

Not to be rude, but I think we have enough Candidates.

Well, I used about a quarter of the posted candidates for the 2000 scenario and am currently working on 2004 and I think you can agree that I can't reuse most of these candidates. You don't see many people run for President and then run again four years later with the exception of a few people. I would like people to continue adding candidates but only if they want. As far as the time line goes:

Nixon 1969 - 1974

Ford 1974 - 1977

Carter 1977 - 1981

Reagan 1981 - 1989

Link 1989 - 1993

Belstad 1993 - 2001

Quick query... are you using third party candidates? You probably noticed that I posted suggestions for Libertarian and Constitution candidates, but I'm not sure whether it's your intention to use third parties in your scenarios. :)

I use whatever candidates are suggested. For 2000, I only used the constitution candidate.

Oh in that case may I offer some 3rd party candidates?

NAME: Bernice Sullivan

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Reverend Jay Jones

SPOUSE: Keller Sullivan

CHILDREN: 6

STATE: Kentucky

BIO: Ultra Conservative Bernice is a loud voice for Family Values, Law and Order and Economic Nationalism.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Far right Conservative, although she happens to be Anti-Globalization

PARTY: Constitution

NAME: Ken Tremblay

OCCUPATION: Lieutenant Governor of Colorado in the 1980's, CEO of Clean Energy Co-Op

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Keith Vincent

SPOUSE: Alison Tremblay

STATE: Maryland

BIO: Green Environmentalist, used to be part of the Government but Tremblay left to work against the Oil Industry.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Lefty Liberal, Complete Environmentalist, however; seems to be ok with Guns.

PARTY: Green

NAME: Curtis O'Brady

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Justin Mathews

SPOUSE: Harriet O'Brady

STATE: Wisconsin

BIO: Long time History Professor at University of Wisconsin, O'Brady is running as an Independent. O'Brady is a classically influenced candidate

POLITICAL VIEWS: Classical Liberal, wants smaller Government but also a Civil Libertarian

PARTY: Independent

NAME: Donald Hampton

OCCUPATION: Former Director General of the World Trade Organization

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Janet Durant

SPOUSE: Priscilla Alonso

CHILDREN: 3 from a different marriage

STATE: Conneticuit

BIO: Stepped down as head of the WTO, many wonder why would a position of this much importance want the Presidency, detractors are already claiming Hampton's campaign has ulterior motives. And many are claiming he has not been in the US enough to run, Hamilton runs anyways.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Pro-Globalization, Likes Social Programs, Diplomacy and Trade will solve wars. Centrist on Social Issues.

PARTY: Running as his own party. He is well funded.

NAME: Gerald Newman

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Aric Boughelart

SPOUSE: Caroline Newman

STATE: Washington D.C.

BIO: The NRA's candidate. A Single Issue campaign. However when pressed Newman is a Conservative

POLITICAL VIEWS: Pro-Gun. Small Government and Defense Hawk.

NAME: Lt. Jon Cobb

CAMPAIGN MANAGER: Bob Wallace

SPOUSE: Michelle Cobb

STATE: Arkansas

BIO: Jon Cobb served in Vietnam and lost a son in Desert Storm. He is a foremost advocate for Veteran advancement programs.

POLITICAL VIEWS: Peace Advocate, Pro-Veteran, Paleoconservative on most other issues