270soft Forum

CSA 1866

willetts-csa2.jpg

Civil War

In 1861 after the battle of Bull Run Confederate forces push on and take Washington DC. Union forces mass and attempt to retake Washington in 1862 but fail, the Confederates then counter attack and take Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. 1863 sees large amounts of fighting in Penn. Pittsburgh is retaken and Philadelphia surrounded by the end of 1863. In spring of 1864 Philadelphia is also retaken by the Union. Moral is growing approaching the 1864 USA election but only a week before the election the CSA launches an unexpected assault on St. Louis in the West. With this a Washington still under the CSA moral collapses and Lincoln looses to McClellan in a landslide. McClellan then organizes a peace deal in which Washington DC is returned but in exchange the territories of Oklahoma and New Mexico are succeeded to the Confederacy.

Parties & Candidates

Democratic Party

Overview: Approaching the election of 1866 the Democratic party of the South no longer has the Uniting bands of succession and civil war. It soon divides between the more moderate and established New Democratic Party and the strong states-rights Radical Democratic Party.

Candidates:

• VP Alexander Stephens
  • Secretary of State Judah P. Benjamin
  • Former Speaker of the Provisional Confederate Congress Howell Cobb
  • President Pro Tempore Robert Hunter
  • Speaker Pro Tempore William Parish Chilton, Sr

Freedom Party

Overview: Approaching the election of 1866 the Democratic party of the South no longer has the Uniting bands of succession and civil war. It soon divides between the more moderate and established New Democratic Party and the strongly nationalistic Radical Democratic Party. Much of the Radical Democratic Party is made up of veterans and generals.

Candidates:

• General P.G.T. Beauregard
  • Secretary of War John C. Breckinridge
  • General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Whig Party

Overview: While the the New Democrats occupy the Right and the Radical Democrats are Nationalist, the Moderates were founded by Robert E. Lee after the Civil War to represent everyone else. One of the parties most controversial planks is a return to normal relations and trading with the USA.

Candidates:

• Robert E. Lee

I'm looking for help on other possible candidates as well as the positions for candidates. Anyone who can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help in other ways this would also be greatly appreciated.

While I don't agree with your premiss, I do like the idea of crafting this scenario.

The party names are a little unoriginal. I think something like Democratic Party for the mainstream democrats (as you already have), the Constitutional Party (the radical dems), and the Whig Party (the moderates). As far as candidates, I don't agree with having so many generals. Also, you have so many high profile candidates running. Look more for governors and senators, rather than generals. Stevens would run as a constitutional party member, while Jeff Davis would be in the Democrats. Stevens and Davis did not like each other, with Stevens believing that Davis was too powerful.

[while Jeff Davis would be in the Democrats. /quote]

Jefferson Davis couldn't run. Confederate Presidents were restricted by the Constitution to a single term.

Barring that, I do agree with Forgotten Moderate's party names, but not necassarily with less generals running. The generals were much moreso the personalities of the CSA than the governors or senators, unlike in the Union. I do like this idea and offer my help if I can.

while Jeff Davis would be in the Democrats.

Jefferson Davis couldn't run. Confederate Presidents were restricted by the Constitution to a single term.

Barring that, I do agree with Forgotten Moderate's party names, but not necassarily with less generals running. The generals were much moreso the personalities of the CSA than the governors or senators, unlike in the Union. I do like this idea and offer my help if I can.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I will change the names to his suggestions.

Issues

1. Caribbean and Central American Relations
  2. Civil Liberties
  3. Conscription
  4. Currency
  5. Domestic Passports**
  6. Education
  7. European Relations
  8. Health
  9. Industrialization
  10. Infrastructure
  11. Native Americans
  12. Personal Tax
  13. Relations with US
  14. Revenue Use*
  15. States Rights
  16. Succession***
  17. Tariffs
  18. Trade with US

Do these look about right to everyone?

*This has to do with tax revenue from one state being used in another state and whether that is legal.

**These were passports you had to have to go between states

***The Confederate Constitution had no clause allowing states to succeed

Issues

Succession***

***The Confederate Constitution had no clause allowing states to succeed

1) Secession

2) Secede

3) Can we just skip to the point 3 months from now where nothing has been done on this and somebody revives the thread to ask how it is coming and you say "sorry, but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this"? It would just save everyone a lot of trouble.

1) Secession

2) Secede

3) Can we just skip to the point 3 months from now where nothing has been done on this and somebody revives the thread to ask how it is coming and you say "sorry, but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this"? It would just save everyone a lot of trouble.

Ouch!

1) Secession

2) Secede

bush_finger_flip.jpg

• Upvote 1

Will the CSA grant electoral votes to Oklahoma and New Mexico in this scenario, or will they follow the Union's precedent of no votes for territories?

Also, will Kentucky and Missouri end up Confederate states, given neither 'officially' joined the CSA, but both had strong sentiment to do so? And what will be the fate of West Virginia?

Will the CSA grant electoral votes to Oklahoma and New Mexico in this scenario, or will they follow the Union's precedent of no votes for territories?

Also, will Kentucky and Missouri end up Confederate states, given neither 'officially' joined the CSA, but both had strong sentiment to do so? And what will be the fate of West Virginia?

Yes Oklahoma and New Mexico will receive electoral votes. As for the rest they remain in the USA.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

By the way, every one is using the term "succession" for the act of leaving a union. The proper word for this is "secession"- i.e. if Rhode Island left the Union, it would have seceded, not succeeded.

By the way, every one is using the term "succession" for the act of leaving a union. The proper word for this is "secession"- i.e. if Rhode Island left the Union, it would have seceded, not succeeded.

But it could have succeeded to secede :P

Speaking as someone currently residing in Rhode Island... we would do that... (at least, in the old days we would've!)

This reminds me of a graphic novel I once read about East St. Louis' seceding from the Union. Bush kept thinking they had "succeeded"...

We fiercely resisted the Constitution and rejected it the first time around. Does that count?

We're basically the North's South Carolina. (Also, love how a completely random remark turned this into a discussion about Rhode Island...)

It's the curse of webforums. :D

To bring it back (sorta) on topic: has anyone ever done a New England secession scenario? Secession was first floated by NE abolitionists in the first half of the 19th century.