270soft Forum

1984 and other challenges

Apologies for posting this here, but there doesn't seem to be much life elsewhere on the boards...

1984:

Have played this both as Regean and as various Dem challengers, is it possible, at all, to beat RR in this election?

Keeping to the spirit of the game, that is, (without any tricks like endorsement of primary opposition, although with only Ben Fernandez that is difficult here)

I would say no.

Any thoughts?

As to other challenging elections: What about Lincoln Chaffee or Colin Powell in 2004 beating GWB to the nomination?

My biggest achievement I t hink has been getting Lloyd Bentsen to the 1976 nomination.

Reece.

I played it as Gary Hart, and won against Reagan.

I did it by digging up scandals on Reagan all throughout the primaries, as I was fighting Mondale for the nomination. I also spent time developing my campaign after it was clear that I was barely going to beat Mondale.

A few of the scandals had high and medium damage ratings and stalled the momentum Reagan had from running unopposed.

At the convention, I picked Lloyd Bentsen as my running mate, and continued digging up scandals on Reagan. I practiced for the debates and had Bentsen do the same, so we won all the debates.

Even with everything breaking my way, I still barely won against Reagan in the popular vote, 51.4%-48.6%. A few key large states broke my way, like Texas, Ohio and New York, and I won in the Electoral College by 368-170.

I'll try again as Mondale and see if I can beat Reagan with him. Ferraro was a horrible VP choice for him, and that's also true in the game, so I would recommend picking Glenn or Bentsen if you win the nomination.

I played it as that Senator from Ohio and won every state without any of those tricks.

Simple: Blast ads from the start of primaries

You mean John Glenn?

I think it goes without saying that any strategy involves heavy advertising.

You mean John Glenn?

I think it goes without saying that any strategy involves heavy advertising.

He said it was hard to beat RR though. When in reality that scenario is very easy. :P

I obviously have no reason to doubt you but how the hell did you wipe out Ronald Reagan?

"Heavy Advertising" How? With what money?

Every time you get enough money to do a full nation-wide add during the primaries, do it. Within two nation-wide ads you'll be the undisputed victor of the primaries, and by default when it gets to the GE most states will be falling your way. Don't spend any money till a few days before the GE and then blow all your money away.