270soft Forum

Canada 1940

As my three active scenarios have all hit snags where I'm waiting on various things, I thought I'd get started on this one. This election was during WW2, and conscription was a BIG issue, though I may need help with other issues (though I believe Great Depression-based issues were also still big in Canada back then, and US relations could be one too, as they was somewhat uncertain, even up till then). The players are:

-Mackenzie King - Liberal

-Robert Manion - National Government/Conservative

-J.S. Woodsworth - CCF

-J.H. Blackmore - Social Credit/New Democracy Alliance

I'll lump the Liberal Progressives and Independent Liberals with King and the Independent Conservatives with Manion. I don't know whom to lump the Unity Party, United Reform Movement, and pure Independents with, considering all won a seat each. If anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free to post them.

BTW, Display Name, is there any chance you could please send me what you have on your Canada 1935 scenario, so I have a base to work from?

Since theres so many minor parties in 1940, if youre only going to put in 4, then Unity and United Reform would obviously have to go with the CCF, since they are all left-wing parties and a bunch of the other ones too (Farmer Labour parties, UFO, and various Labour parties would all go CCF too). Or make a 5th party and call it Independent/Labour Progressive to include the various independent and very left-wing(moreso than the CCF) parties with their 3 seats.

This was actually the last election where the Liberal Party of Canada got more than 50% of the votes too. Adding in Liberal Progressive and Independent Liberal votes would give them over 55% actually.

I am pleased to see you are tackling a historical scenario.

I will send you 1935. Feel free to re-use anything.

I am pleased to see you are tackling a historical scenario.

I will send you 1935. Feel free to re-use anything.

Thank-you very much, Display Name. I've looked it over, and it does provide a good base to work from.

Here's my initial list of issues. This is open to comment and suggestion, and stances still have yet to be worked out.

Agriculture

Budget

Business Tax

Conscription

Economic Recovery

Education

European Relations

Immigration

Inflation

Military Funding

National Unity

Personal Tax

Provincial Powers

Public Health Care

Statute of Westminister

Quebec Dissatisfaction

U.S. Relations

War Effort

Thank-you very much, Display Name. I've looked it over, and it does provide a good base to work from.

Here's my initial list of issues. This is open to comment and suggestion, and stances still have yet to be worked out.

Agriculture

Budget

Business Tax

Conscription

Economic Recovery

Education

European Relations

Immigration

Inflation

Military Funding

National Unity

Personal Tax

Provincial Powers

Public Health Care

Statute of Westminister

Quebec Dissatisfaction

U.S. Relations

War Effort

So, does anyone disagree or suggest any change with these issues? I'd like to start on stances soon.

Sorry, I have no knowledge other than what I could pick up from widely available sources. Good luck.