270soft Forum

Why doesn't anyone every do old German Elections?

Kauai

The question is in the title. But really, why doesn't anyone every try to do some historical German elections? A 1961 Bundestag election would be interesting, or the first ever Bundestag election after Nazi rule in 1949.

The question is in the title. But really, why doesn't anyone every try to do some historical German elections? A 1961 Bundestag election would be interesting, or the first ever Bundestag election after Nazi rule in 1949.

Another interesting one would be the first one after Reunification in 1990. It was the first time most East Germans, and most citizens of Berlin period, could freely vote in Bundestag elections. Though the '61 and '49 West German elections would be interesting, too. Certainly worth considering.

I think this would be a great thing considering that some PM4E editions (like Alberta) had many, many historical scenarios. Is the 2009 elections will be also available by September 27th?

I think this would be my top 3:

1990, because of the CDU landslide victory in former communist areas.

1949, the first election after WWII

1933, to stop You know who to be in power

The question is in the title and the answer comes from your message and those that responded to it; Whilst there may be people wanting to see scenarios, there is no one willing to do one. I include myself in that but I will give you a reason - I have tried PR scenarios and have found them difficult to design.

Since this has come up, i was going to do Germany 1990 election, after the Blackpool council election which is half done. I'll get to it sooner or later!

The problem i've found with it, is what matvail has said above, as well as more detailed anaylsis about seperate seats. Probably have to guess the party standings/percentages in each seat and then make sure the weigh out as the average for each province.

• 2 months later...

I actually have a very, very rough version of Weimar 1933 on my hard drive -- basically, all it has so far is five parties (Social Democrats, Nazis, DNVP, Communists, and Centre/Bavarian Peoples' Party), the leaders, and issues. Candidate names are almost certainly just going to be made up (mostly by rearranging a few letters in each name in the existing ridings files) -- the closest I've come to finding any detail at all is a site that breaks down different regions by party strength. I also need to find a decent map of 1933 Germany that can be broken down into regions where I can at least guesstimate the population for each.

Is the map on this webpage any good?

<a href="http://www.boldts.net/Euro-D.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.boldts.net/Euro-D.shtml</a>

But this is the best one? Perhaps too many regions?

<a href="http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/nsdap_wahl_1933.png" target="_blank">http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/nsdap_wahl_1933.png</a>

Thanks. I've seen that second one and I may end up using some version of it.

I was going to say this after i finished Germany 1990 and if the feedback would be any good, but i may as well, as another one is in the making. I'm very interested in doing a follow up to Germany 1990, but i would like to finish the other European ones i have finished first like Finland, Belgium etc., unless i can help with anything for the 1933 version. I won't be offering this for the other European ones. I feel Germany has one of the most interesting election histories, and i still think 1990 complimenting with 2002 & 2005 isn't enough to warrant that significance. It could do with another significant election, it can be recent(i don't mean 2009) or decades ago.

I have compiled a shortlist of German elections for either, as the follow-up or for future reference:

1871 - First German federal election

1912 - SPD breakthrough, possible cause of the 1st World War

1919 - First Weimar Republic election

1930 - Massive rise in NSDAP vote

1932(November) - NSDAP drop seats, communists rise

1933(March) - In progress?

1949 - First free, democratic elections after WWII. Split vote in number of parties.

1961 - First election after building of Berlin Wall - FDP & SPD rise in seats.

1983 - Kohl becomes Chancellor, CDU defeat corrupt SPD government.

1998 - Kohl vs Schroder, end of Kohl's chancellorship.

Discuss... :)

Archived