270soft Forum

Presidential Election - 2016 (Republican Version)

2016 Presidential Election

Barack Obama's first term was plagued with scandals. Starting from tainted cabinet picks to his lies about AIG. Eventually, Americans saw through his lies and his approval fell to the high forties. Obama worked hard to increase the size of government. Eventually the government banned black cars (this spread from California) and they took control of GM. Obama's liberal policies fell through when the United States suffered a terrorist attack. Obama's approvals rose to near 90% after he visited the sites of the attacks. However, he continued to withdraw troops from Iraq. Obama's approval fell to around 70% when he started focusing on the, still failing, economy when many Americans were being killed in terrorist attacks. Members of Al Qaeda were found and executed, but Osama Bin Laden was never found. With the economy still hurt, Republicans controlled the House, and made gains in the senate. Obama revisited the economy and eventually approved bailout after bailout. Weeks before the 2012 election Osama Bin Laden's dead body was found. It seems he died from heart complications. In 2012 the Republicans put-up Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee. The Republican party failed to overcome Obama, though the election was close. Obama's second term was more successful than the first. Tim Geithner resigned and Obama, who was still being attacked for partisanship, appointed Meg Whitman to be Geithner's replacement. Under Whitman's help and plans the economy began to heal. It was weeks before the mid term election of 2014 when a major scandal was revealed: Geithner lied under oath when Secretary of the Treasury and Obama hired people to cover it up. Republicans gained control of the senate, and dominated in the house. Under the Republican-controlled congress Barack Obama became the third president to be impeached, but the senate didn't acquit him and he became the first president to be removed from office. The Republican party began to triumph with their new chairman, Former Governor Mitt Romney.

Republicans:

Senator Jeb Bush (R-FL)

House Majority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA)

Governor Tim Pawlenty (R-MN)

Secretary of the Treasury Meg Whitman (R-CA)

Congressman Alan Keyes (R-MD)

Governor Sam Brownback (R-KS)

Governor Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)

Democrats:

Governor Gavin Newsome (D-CA)

Governor Ed Rendell (D-PA)

Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR)

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)

Governor Deval Patrick (D-MA)

Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY)

Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN)

Positions:

Speaker of the House: John Boener

House Majority Leader: Michelle Bachman

House Majority Whip: Eric Cantor

House Minority Leader: Steny Hoyer

House Minority Whip: John Larson

President pro Tempore: Lisa Murkowski

Senate Majority Leader: Rob Simmons

Senate Majority Whip: David Vitter

Senate Minority Leader: Michael Bennet

Senator Minority Whip: Mark Warner

Rob Simmons as Senate Majority Leader? You're joking, right?

Even if Simmons won in 2010 (unlikely at best), there is zero chance he'd become Senate Majority Leader, especially in 6 years - not to mention he'd be up for re-election in 2016.

It's also highly unlikely David Paterson would still be governor in 2016. Polls show him losing to Andrew Cuomo in the 2010 primary and Rudy Giuliani in the general election by a substantial margin.

Simmons is beating Dodd in early polls, though it isn't by much. They would give Simmons Majority Leader for defeating a legend.

I'll change Patterson to Cuomo

He's one point ahead in one poll, Dodd is plagued by scandals, and it's still nearly 2 years before the election. It's still too early to tell if Dodd will even run again - if Dodd retires, Simmons' chances of winning the Senate seat are next to nothing.

"They" would not give Simmons anything, even if he did beat Dodd, as he's a moderate Republican from Connecticut. The right wing Senate Republicans would never accept him as Majority Leader, plus he would not have much seniority.

Keep in mind Simmons lost his own district in 2006, and he'd be 73 in 2016, not to mention up for re-election. The idea of Simmons being in a position to run for president in 2016 is absolutely ridiculous.

Just thought i would point out that in 2016

Ed Rendell will be 72

Nancy Pelosi will be 76

Hillary Clinton will be 69

I would argue that based on the scrutiny McCain received in the last election that he was to old to be President there is no way Pelosi would run at 76, and very doubtful that either Rendell or Clinton would run.

Just thought i would point out that in 2016

Ed Rendell will be 72

Nancy Pelosi will be 76

Hillary Clinton will be 69

I would argue that based on the scrutiny McCain received in the last election that he was to old to be President there is no way Pelosi would run at 76, and very doubtful that either Rendell or Clinton would run.

I get your argument here, I really do. But regarding a Hillary Clinton run in 2016, I'm not so sure that "old age", in and of itself, is the issue. McCain received so much flack for the "age issue" because he gave a few reasons for people to perhaps question his senility - i.e., not remembering the number of homes he owns, occasional bumbling on the stump, etc. And for that matter, wasn't Reagan 68 or 69 when he ran for president? I think "age" was an issue with him too, but again, didn't he make a few mistakes that caused people to question his senility?

Whether or not Hillary Clinton is a viable candidate in 2016 truly depends on the number of mistakes she makes. If she remains intellectually sharp on the trail, then I doubt age will be an issue. If she starts fumbling, or acting confused (as McCain and Reagan arguably did at times), then I can see her suffering as a result. But make no doubt about it, absent a huge misstep in her role as Sec. of State, or absent a terribly unsuccessful Obama Administration, she will likely give it another go in 2016 (again, assuming Obama is still reasonably popular). And I believe Hillary will be 68 during a large part of her run for the presidency, and will turn 69 just a couple weeks before the 2016 election is held. Say what you will of Hillary Clinton, it's hard to argue that she does not come across as an intellectually astute candidate. My hunch is that she will keep her mental wits about her over the next several years.

In summary, I'm not so sure that Hillary's age of 68-69 during the 2016 campaign will be a hindrance to her, assuming she runs at all, and assuming she's as sharp as she is now. Who knows? Public opinion polls have shown a fairly stark rise in Clinton's popularity since losing the Democratic nomination . . . maybe she would be viewed as America's Margaret Thatcher of the left in 2016 (wasn't Thatcher fairly old during her tenure as British PM?), kind of like "America's smart and steady grandmother?" All speculation, but I think it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...