270soft Forum

United States Presdential Election 1860

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of my ideas include: -The Republicans will not be on the ballot in 13 Southern states. -All of a party's primaries and their nomination will be on the same day (the day of that party's conventi

Strangely, the total number of delegates comes out to 300, not including alternates. I wonder if one or more state delegations failed to attend, or withdrew from, the convention after that secretary's

That's too bad. I could try my hand at the remaining issues, if you don't think you'll be able to finish them.

I'm just waiting on the candidates from heat. Then I'll do endorsers and events, and it should then be almost done.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it. :) Definitely one of the most interesting elections in history.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard from you in a while, heat. How are the candidates for this going?

I hope heat didn't flake out or disappear on us.

But if so, Patine, do you have enough material to continue creating the scenario? If not, what else would you need?

I hope heat didn't flake out or disappear on us.

But if so, Patine, do you have enough material to continue creating the scenario? If not, what else would you need?

I believe I do have enough to continue, save for some good paper endorsers. Some (though not all) of those you suggested for 1848 will do, though I'd need to know who they endorsed in 1860. Some new ones would be nice, though not strictly mandatory.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I do have enough to continue, save for some good paper endorsers. Some (though not all) of those you suggested for 1848 will do, though I'd need to know who they endorsed in 1860. Some new ones would be nice, though not strictly mandatory.

heat tells me he's been really busy lately, but he can send what he's done to me.

After that I can send it to you if you like, since I don't have a copy of Campaigns Forever.

heat tells me he's been really busy lately, but he can send what he's done to me.

After that I can send it to you if you like, since I don't have a copy of Campaigns Forever.

Alright. My e-mail's chandallah@netscape.net, in case you've forgotten.

• 4 months later...

Since heat seems to be AWOL, I've progressed some work on this one. I've finished the Southern Democrats and Republicans. Does any know where I can find the delegate counts by state for the Constitutional Union National Convention? I'm having a hard time finding that info. I've got the other three conventions covered (it's so convenient that mid-19th Century Democratic National Conventions had as many delegates per state as electoral votes in the GE; that was also convenient for 1848).

Since heat seems to be AWOL, I've progressed some work on this one. I've finished the Southern Democrats and Republicans. Does any know where I can find the delegate counts by state for the Constitutional Union National Convention? I'm having a hard time finding that info. I've got the other three conventions covered (it's so convenient that mid-19th Century Democratic National Conventions had as many delegates per state as electoral votes in the GE; that was also convenient for 1848).

There were 252 Delegates try to divide them up equally in each state

There were 252 Delegates try to divide them up equally in each state

So 252 delegates. I've gathered that only 20 of 33 states sent delegates to the Constitutional Union National Convention, but I can't for the life of me find a complete list of the 20 participating states, or how many delegates each sent. It would be very sloppy just to divide 252 delegates roughly evenly among 20 randomly-selected states. Does someone know where to look for more accurate information?

So 252 delegates. I've gathered that only 20 of 33 states sent delegates to the Constitutional Union National Convention, but I can't for the life of me find a complete list of the 20 participating states, or how many delegates each sent. It would be very sloppy just to divide 252 delegates roughly evenly among 20 randomly-selected states. Does someone know where to look for more accurate information?

Found it. An excerpt from Google books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Tw4TAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA104&lpg=PA104&dq=%22constitutional+union+convention%22+1860&source=bl&ots=rXb-pjf4Vh&sig=cqaKIY5pAkpkqkDpy05e_WkxOdc&hl=en&ei=nraXS8z_EM2ztgfTk4XlAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=%22constitutional%20union%20convention%22%201860&f=false

The book is called "Caucuses of 1860: A history of the national political conventions of the Current Presidential Campaign" by Murat Halstead. If the link doesn't work, type that title into Google and you'll find it.

Pages 104-105 contain the list of states and delegates. Pages 114-115 have the ballot counts.

Curiously, I count anywhere from 21-24 states participating depending on the list.

Found it. An excerpt from Google books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Tw4TAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA104&lpg=PA104&dq=%22constitutional+union+convention%22+1860&source=bl&ots=rXb-pjf4Vh&sig=cqaKIY5pAkpkqkDpy05e_WkxOdc&hl=en&ei=nraXS8z_EM2ztgfTk4XlAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=%22constitutional%20union%20convention%22%201860&f=false

The book is called "Caucuses of 1860: A history of the national political conventions of the Current Presidential Campaign" by Murat Halstead. If the link doesn't work, type that title into Google and you'll find it.

Pages 104-105 contain the list of states and delegates. Pages 114-115 have the ballot counts.

Curiously, I count anywhere from 21-24 states participating depending on the list.

Thanks tremendously, Darkmoon! I'll get to work on this.

Thanks tremendously, Darkmoon! I'll get to work on this.

Strangely, the total number of delegates comes out to 300, not including alternates. I wonder if one or more state delegations failed to attend, or withdrew from, the convention after that secretary's roll call was made, thus dropping the number of states from 21-24 to 20 and the delegates from 300 to 252.

• Upvote 1

Strangely, the total number of delegates comes out to 300, not including alternates. I wonder if one or more state delegations failed to attend, or withdrew from, the convention after that secretary's roll call was made, thus dropping the number of states from 21-24 to 20 and the delegates from 300 to 252.

Maybe we should go by the results of the first ballot, since they seem closest to the numbers we were given. They're on page 114.

I count 21 states participating with 254 delegates on the first ballot. That seems close enough to the 20/252 figure to use, and it does count the number of delegates per state.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should go by the results of the first ballot, since they seem closest to the numbers we were given. They're on page 114.

I count 21 states participating with 254 delegates on the first ballot. That seems close enough to the 20/252 figure to use, and it does count the number of delegates per state.

I've got a problem. Because the CU and both Dem parties don't have delegates from every state they're on the ballot in, I get a floating point error if I start in the primaries. However, both putting delegates from every state they're on the ballot in, or taking them off the ballot wherever they have no delegates, distorts the results of the election immensely. Does anyone have any advise on how to handle this?

I've got a problem. Because the CU and both Dem parties don't have delegates from every state they're on the ballot in, I get a floating point error if I start in the primaries. However, both putting delegates from every state they're on the ballot in, or taking them off the ballot wherever they have no delegates, distorts the results of the election immensely. Does anyone have any advise on how to handle this?

My best advice is to put only 1 delegate in each state where the party is on the ballot but doesn't normally have delegates. It will distort the election, but not by much.

Okay, I've got every party with at least one delegate in every state they are on the ballot in, and all the candidates are done, and I still get a 'floating error divided by zero' in the primaries after ending the first turn, but it works just fine if I start in the GE. What should I check now?