270soft Forum

United States Presdential Election 1860

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of my ideas include: -The Republicans will not be on the ballot in 13 Southern states. -All of a party's primaries and their nomination will be on the same day (the day of that party's conventi

Strangely, the total number of delegates comes out to 300, not including alternates. I wonder if one or more state delegations failed to attend, or withdrew from, the convention after that secretary's

That's too bad. I could try my hand at the remaining issues, if you don't think you'll be able to finish them.

yea man. how about i take the republicans and southern dems. and u take the const. union and northern dems.

Constitutional Union is easy - Center on everything. They had no platform except preservation of the Union - essentially a Centrist party.

Here's Douglas.

State's Rights - Center-Left

Tariffs - Center-Left

Taxes - Center

Compromise of 1850 - Center

Dred Scott - Center-Left

Military - Center

Immigration - Center

Economy - Center-Left

Labor Rights - Center

Gold Standard - Center

Industry - Center-Left

American-British relations - Center-Left

Mexico - Center-Right

Possible Secession - Center-Right

Fugitive Slave Laws - Center-Left

Executive Power - Center-Left

Pacific Railroad - Center-Right

Religion - Center-Left

Abolition - Center-Left

Homestead Act - Center-Right

Popular Sovereignty - Center

Monroe Doctrine - Center-Right

I did the Southern Democrats, then e-mailed it to heat a few days ago to do the remaining three parties, potentially letting you do one as I understood. He hasn't written me back with a status report, yet. I'm not even sure if he got the e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Yancey could indeed make a good candidate; I'd forgotten about him, though in that that case he should be 'off by default' like Davis. BTW, do you think the Southern Dems should have the incumbant flag on, given their frontrunner (and historical convention winner) was the incumbant VP? I left it unchecked till I could bring it up.

Yancey could indeed make a good candidate; I'd forgotten about him, though in that that case he should be 'off by default' like Davis. BTW, do you think the Southern Dems should have the incumbant flag on, given their frontrunner (and historical convention winner) was the incumbant VP? I left it unchecked till I could bring it up.

I say yes, the incumbent flag should be turned on, because Breckinridge was the VP.

Do you know if Breckinridge and Lincoln are set at 0% in the states where they did not appear on the ballot?

I say yes, the incumbent flag should be turned on, because Breckinridge was the VP.

Do you know if Breckinridge and Lincoln are set at 0% in the states where they did not appear on the ballot?

Breckinridge (and his primaries opponents) are, as I did the Southern Dems myself. I strongly suggested the same for the Republicans to heat, though he doesn't seem to have filled in %'s yet last I checked.

also, what do you guys think of some extra just for fun off-by-default candidates:

Republicans:

John Fremont

William Lloyd Garrison

Northern Dems.

Louis Cass

Andrew Johnson

Const. Union

Millard Fillmore

feel free to add some extras :D

yup they will be dont worry.

ok can anyone find the state roll call for the republican convention? so we can accurately depict the # of delegates in each state for the republicans.

There were 465 total delegates. I'm not sure what the state-by-state breakdown was, but this link contains a documentation of the entire proceedings of the 1860 Republican Convention in Chicago. You might find the state-by-state breakdown here.

http://www.archive.org/details/proceedingsofrep00repuiala

also, what do you guys think of some extra just for fun off-by-default candidates:

Republicans:

John Fremont

William Lloyd Garrison

Northern Dems.

Louis Cass

Andrew Johnson

Const. Union

Millard Fillmore

feel free to add some extras :D

Fremont actually did run in 1864 as a Radical Republican before dropping out in September, but never considered running in 1860. He should probably be added as a Republican endorser or Crusader.

Garrison would be good, as long as he's off by default.

Lewis Cass was already 77, and by most accounts, senile during the Buchanan administration. I don't think he should be added.

Andrew Johnson, however, did run as a Northern Democrat and would make a good candidate for them.

With Fillmore, I don't think he would make a good Constitutional Union candidate. Though many Whigs later became Know-Nothings and then CU supporters, the Know-Nothing party stance opposed immigration and supported temperance, whereas the Constitutional Union party essentially had no platform except for "preservation of the Union". Plus, by 1860, Fillmore's first wife died, he had remarried a rich widow and was starting a Historical Society in New York. By all accounts he was never interested.

I do like the idea of adding Garrison (off by default) and Andrew Johnson.

Say, on a tangent, which party would Buchanan lean towards as an endorser. I'd say the Northern Dems, given he considered secession illegal, but he was a 'doughface,' or a Northerner with Southern sympathies. Any ideas?

ok thanks, any ideas on some extra candidates?

I looked at the 1st page and saw Andrew Johnson in the "Southern Democrat" section. He should really be in the "Northern Democrat" section, as he ran under their banner and never supported secession.

Just wanted to make sure that was changed.

Say, on a tangent, which party would Buchanan lean towards as an endorser. I'd say the Northern Dems, given he considered secession illegal, but he was a 'doughface,' or a Northerner with Southern sympathies. Any ideas?

I believe Buchanan pointedly refused to endorse anyone, even his own VP Breckinridge, in the 1860 election.

Oh, just as a side issue, where can I find pre-Civil War state flags for the Southern States. They don't have them on flagspot.net, even though they specifically say the current Southern flags have their origins in the Civil War. Anyone have any idea?

does anyone know how many states participated in the const. union convention or how the convention worked in terms of delegates?

I know the total was 251 delegates. I know their convention was May 9th-10th in Baltimore. All states except Oklahoma and South Carolina sent delegates. Each state was allowed to cast as many votes as it had Presidential Electors.

There was a "primary" in which Sam Houston's friends voted on four delegates to send from Texas to the convention on April 27th.

Houston, after losing to Bell at the convention, briefly ran as a fifth-party candidate, although support coalesced around Bell and Houston withdrew his candidacy in August, supporting Bell.

I found all this info here. This site also has the names of many Texas newspapers which supported the Constitutional Union party.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/CC/wac1.html

This website has some additional details of the CU convention, including whom each state delegation supported.

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=58519

Also, after thinking about it, maybe Millard Fillmore should be included as a Constitutional Union candidate, turned to "off" by default. If you need more CU candidates, you could add Francis Granger and Jacob Broom, turned to "off" as well.

On edit: I added the second article and some additional information I just found.