270soft Forum

United States Presdential Election 1860

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of my ideas include: -The Republicans will not be on the ballot in 13 Southern states. -All of a party's primaries and their nomination will be on the same day (the day of that party's conventi

Strangely, the total number of delegates comes out to 300, not including alternates. I wonder if one or more state delegations failed to attend, or withdrew from, the convention after that secretary's

That's too bad. I could try my hand at the remaining issues, if you don't think you'll be able to finish them.

Alright this is what I have. Does anyone think anything should be taken away or added. If not I will start creating postions for the issues.

1. Expansion of Slavery

2. States Rights

3. Tariffs

4. Taxes

5. Compromise of 1850

6. Dred Scott Case

7. Military

8. Immigration

9. Economy

10. Labor Rights

11. Gold Standard

12. Industry

13. American-British Relations

14. Mexico

15. Possible Secession

16. Fugitive Slave Laws

17. Executive Power

18. Pacific Railroad

19. Religion

20. Abolition

21. Popular Sovereignty

22. Monroe Doctrine

This is the total agreed upon list, though I later thought perhaps having Homestead Act in place of Popular Sovereignty. These are the ones that are done:

Postions

Expansion of Slavery

Far-Left: Create an ammendment to the constiution protecting slavery and forcing all states to make it legal.

Left: Allow states that currently have outlawed slavery to keep such laws but pass a bill stating that slavery is legal in all new states.

Center-left: Allow all states to decide for themselves.

Center: Allow all new states to decide for themselves.

Center-Right: Stick to the Missouri Compromise line when admitting new states.

Right: Allow states where slavery is currently legal to keep it that way for now but all new states must be non-slave. (Lincoln)

Far-Right: All new states must outlaw slavery and a gradual reduction of slavery in the current slave states until slavery no longer exists.

States Rights

Far-Left: The goverment is intruding upon states rights. Rewrite the constituion to eliminate the presidency. Give states the right to succede and overule any federal law.

Left: Give states the right to succede and overule any federal law.

Center-Left: States should be able to manage their own affairs. Keep Federal goverment as small as possible.

Center: Its fine the way it is.

Center-Right: States should have certain rights but the federal goverment should be the ultimate athourity. (Lincoln)

Right: The United States is one nation and people need to realize that. A small amount of state rights but almost all power rests with the federal goverment.

Far-Right: Eliminate states. The USA should be one giant state.

Tariffs*

Far-Left: Outlaw imports

Left: Allow individual states to set their own tariff rates.

Center-Left: A single moderate tariff rate but allow states to add to that if they wish.

Center: There are more important things to worry about then the tariff system

Center-Right: One national tariff rate with a certain percentage going to each state.

Right: One very high national rate (Lincoln)

Far-Right: Low national tariff rate.

Taxes

Far-Left: Introduce a large income tax and raise all other tax levels.

Left: Moderatly raise most tax levels and introduce an income tax of around 10%

Center-Left: Slight raise in most taxes, if necassary a larger raise and a temprorary income tax of 5-10% (Lincoln)

Center: Small to moderate raise in some taxes if the need arises otherwise no raises and no income tax.

Center-right: Stay at current tax levels no matter what.

Right: Lower taxes across the board.

Far-Right: Eliminate taxes

Compromise of 1850

Far-Left: This "compromise" is an outrage. We can not allow anyone to ban slavery, especially our nations capital and all new states should be forced to allow slavery.

Left: This compromise infringes on the rights of the south.

Center-Left: Certain sections of this compromise need to be re-written so it is more equal towards the south.

Center: The compromise is a good idea and should be left alone.

Center-Right: The fugative slave laws in the compromise need to be re-written to make them less harsh.

Right: The compromise is simply delaying the fact that one day slavery must be eliminated. (Lincoln)

Far-Right: Trash the compromise and invade all slave states.

Dred Scott Case

Far-Left: The decision does not go far enough.

Left: The decision needs to be translated into an ammendment to the consitution so that no congress can ever overturn it.

Center-Left: The decision was correct.

Center: Whether or not the decision was correct is no business of politicians but the job of lawyers.

Center-Right: This decision is much to harsh but their is little to be done now but work for a better decision in the future.

Right: This case was an outrage and must be overturned by a consitutional ammendment passed by congress. (Lincoln)

Far-Right: This decision must be immediatly overturned and the justices who passed it and any judge or fedral lawyer who supports it dismissed.

Military

Far-Left: Eliminate the fedral army, replacing it with smaller state controlled armies.

Left: Eliminate most of the Federal army and increase the size and independance of state armies, a.k.a. national guards.

Center-Left: A small reduction in the size of the Federal Army and more independance for state armies.

Center: Keep the army the size it is now.

Center-Right: A slight increase in the size of the Federal Army.

Right: A realitivly large increase in the size of the Federal Army and a reduction in the size and indepedance of state armies. (Lincoln)

Far-Right: Across the board reductions in the size of the military, both federal and state.

Immigration

Far-Left: Open immigration for any one who want to get in.

Left: Less immigration restricitions.

Center-Left: Leave immigration laws and restrictions up to the states they are immigrating to.

Center: Keep the immigration system the same as it currently is.

Center-Right: More restrictions and quotas on immigration.

Right: A large ammount of quotas and restriction so as to allow only a small number of immigrants.

Far-Right: Outlaw immigration.

Economy

Far-Left: Massive increase in taxation and more goverment welfare programs. Reforms along the lines of those suggested by German philopher Karl Marx.

Left: Increase in taxation and spending on national projects.

Center-Left: A small increase in taxes with no increase in spending to help stabalize the economy.

Center: The economy is fine the way it is.

Center-Right: Decrease in spending but keep taxes the same

Right: Across the board tax and spending cuts.

Far-Right: The federal goverment should have no control over the economy.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Okay, I did 10 through 17. I'll do the rest tonight.

Labor Rights

Far-Left - Generous benefits for workers. Put labor unions in charge of businesses.

Left - Workers should be favored. Create minimum wage and 8-hour work day. Allow unions.

Center-Left - Support a worker’s right to strike in poor conditions. Abolish child labor.

Center - Take no action supporting either side when it comes to labor issues.

Center-Right - Support business but allow room for labor negotiations.

Right - The government should be on the side of businesses in labor disputes.

Far-Right - Promote child labor, cut worker pay, and punish workers who strike.

Gold Standard

Far-Left - Gold and silver standards limit the amount of available currency. Eliminate them completely.

Left - Replace the gold standard with a silver standard.

Center-Left - Consider switching to a silver standard if necessary.

Center - Leave the gold standard system in place. Keep silver in circulation.

Center-Right - Consider removing silver from circulation.

Right - Sign gold standard into law and remove silver from circulation.

Far-Right - The gold standard is the only way to reduce inflation. Write it into a constitutional amendment.

Industry

Far-Left - Punitive taxes for industry. Subsidies should favor farmers, workers and consumers.

Left - Support our own farmers and workers first.

Center-Left - Support farming communities. Create small tax incentives for industries.

Center - Leave industry policy as is.

Center-Right - Support industry, but do not neglect our farmers.

Right - Generous tax incentives to industries. We need more factories, not farms.

Far-Right - Eliminate taxes for industries. Encourage factory growth at the expense of farms.

American-British Relations

Far-Left - Declare war on Britain. They were our enemies since before the American Revolution.

Left - We should clearly favor France and Spain in our foreign policy decisions.

Center-Left - Allow for diplomacy with Britain, but France should always be our closest ally.

Center - Maintain current diplomatic relations with both Britain and France.

Center-Right - We should appeal to the British for imports our country needs.

Right - We share a common language and interests with Britain. They should be our closest ally.

Far-Right - We should be hostile towards France and Spain and put Britain’s interests first.

Mexico

Far-Left - We should apologize to Mexico and relinquish the territory we conquered from them.

Left - The Mexican War was a mistake. Apologize to Mexico. Sell back the Gadsden Purchase.

Center-Left - We don’t need to expand our country further. The war was fought to expand slavery.

Center - The dispute isn’t important - we now have the land and we should keep it.

Center-Right - We were right to fight a war with Mexico. Influence them to sell us more land.

Right - Pressure Mexico to cede more territory. Support Manifest Destiny.

Far-Right - Remember the Alamo! Declare war on Mexico!

Possible Secession

Far-Left - All states should secede from the country and rule themselves.

Left - The South should secede from the United States and form its own country.

Center-Left - Allow the South to secede if it wants to.

Center - Take no action; the issue of secession will work itself out.

Center-Right - States do not have the right to secede. Use diplomacy to keep the South.

Right - The South should not be allowed to secede. Use force if necessary.

Far-Right - Any threat to secede should be viewed as treason.

Fugitive Slave Laws

Far-Left - All authorities should be forced to return slaves. Execute anyone who disobeys.

Left - Prison time and harsh punishments for anyone who doesn’t return escaped slaves.

Center-Left - Increase fines for anyone who refuses to return a slave.

Center - The current Fugitive Slave Law is fine as it is. Fine anyone who disobeys.

Center-Right - Allow for jury trials in cases of kidnapped slaves.

Right - Forbid the use of local jails and authorities to return slaves. They should not be convicted.

Far-Right - Slaves should be freed anyway. The Fugitive Slave Law should be abolished.

Executive Power

Far-Left - Power should rest with the states and with Congress. The president should be ceremonial.

Left - Favor state and congressional power. The president should have a reduced role.

Center-Left - The president should be powerful, but not as much as Congress or the states.

Center - Maintain the current balance of power.

Center-Right - The president should have some emergency powers, like suspending habeas corpus.

Right - Congress and the states should be weakened. Expand presidential powers.

Far-Right - The president should have dictatorial powers, doing whatever he wants.

Here you go. I finished the issues.

Pacific Railroad

Far-Left - We don’t need railroads. We should dismantle them.

Left - A nationwide railroad is too expensive and unlikely to show results. Oppose Pacific Railroad Act.

Center-Left - Support railroad only if it goes through slave-owning states or territories.

Center - A railroad would be beneficial but it is not a top priority.

Center-Right - We should allow companies to build a rail line instead of taking government action.

Right - Support Pacific Railroad Act. Give government bonds to rail companies for building the rail line.

Far-Right - We need massive expansion of rail. Divert money towards this effort.

Religion

Far-Left - We must be accepting of all faiths and even non-believers.

Left - We should respect people who follow other religions.

Center-Left - Catholics should be treated better.

Center - All forms of Christianity are acceptable. No change in policy.

Center-Right - Protestant Christianity is the way, but we should be somewhat tolerant of Catholics.

Right - We must be suspicious of Catholics and others who follow heathen religions.

Far-Right - Ban Catholics and other infidels from serving in public office.

Abolition

Far-Left - Slavery should be written into a constitutional amendment.

Left - Oppose abolition. We need slaves for our economy.

Center-Left - Slave states can and should be able to coexist with free states.

Center - We should take whatever position will keep the Union intact.

Center-Right - Slavery should not be expanded to the territories.

Right - Slavery must eventually end throughout the United States.

Far-Right - Immediately free slaves. Apologize and pay reparations.

Homestead Act*

Far-Left - Oppose Homestead Act. The increase in free farmers could threaten slavery.

Left - Let the states pass their own acts regarding homesteads. Oppose bill.

Center-Left - We should pass the bill only if we can get Southern delegations to support it.

Center - Let Congress run its course. Sign bill if it is passed, otherwise take no strong action.

Center-Right - Support Homestead Act, but try to get Southern votes in Congress for it first.

Right - Pass the bill no matter what. We need this for agriculture.

Far-Right - Give away large amounts of land. Expand the number of homesteads granted.

Popular Sovereignty

Far-Left - Slavery should be present throughout the entire United States regardless of opinions.

Left - Slavery should be permitted in U.S. territories. Popular sentiment is irrelevant.

Center-Left - Territories should have slavery, but be able to opt out in a referendum.

Center - Territories should vote on the slavery issue and rule themselves accordingly.

Center-Right - Only if there is overwhelming support should slavery be allowed in territories.

Right - Slavery should not be allowed in the territories, regardless of popular sentiment.

Far-Right - Slavery should be banned in the territories and everywhere.

Monroe Doctrine

Far-Left - The Monroe Doctrine is hegemonic and isolationist. It should be abolished.

Left - We cannot interfere in the affairs of Mexico and South America. Oppose Monroe Doctrine.

Center-Left - Countries near us are a concern, but we should resolve our own issues first.

Center - Keep the Monroe Doctrine as is.

Center-Right - Europe should be kept out of the Western Hemisphere. It is ours.

Right - Expand the Monroe Doctrine to include interventions in Latin America.

Far-Right - Declare war against any nation which violates the Monroe Doctrine.

Okay, I made a mistake. :o

The four attribute issues count toward the 22 total. So, I figured we'd just combine Expansion of Slavery, Compromise of 1850, Dredd Scott Case, Fugitive Slave Laws, and Popularity Sovereignty into a general Slavery issue which will have very high priority. Any ideas on what stances a fusion Slavery issue could have?

i think we should keep it 2 issues: Expansion of Slavery and Slavery. fuse a another issue, this is too important

Okay, we'll fuse States Rights and Possible Seccession, as those tie closely together (another high priority issue). We'll also meld Abolition with Slavery, as it's a bit redundant too, making room for Homestead Act.

Okay, all the issues are done except a general fusion Slavery issue. Any ideas as to stances for that one?

Also, before I finish with Step One: Scenario, what should the fundraising coefficient and beginning economic indicators be?

Okay, all the issues are done except a general fusion Slavery issue. Any ideas as to stances for that one?

Also, before I finish with Step One: Scenario, what should the fundraising coefficient and beginning economic indicators be?

I think the fusion Slavery issue should be a combination of Popular Sovereignty and Abolition. The big debate was over whether to allow slavery in the territories. Something like:

Slavery

Far-Left - Write a constitutional amendment imposing slavery in all states and territories, regardless of opinion.

Left - Oppose abolition. We need slaves for our economy. Permit slavery in the U.S. territories.

Center-Left - Slave states can and should be able to coexist with free states. Territories can decide for themselves.

Center - We should take whatever position will keep the Union intact.

Center-Right - Slavery should not be expanded to the territories. Seek a peaceful resolution to the issue.

Right - End slavery throughout the United States, in all states and territories, only using force if we have to.

Far-Right - Immediately free slaves and ban slavery everywhere. Force the South to comply. Pay reparations.

The total money spent on this election was only about a million dollars. Can you work backwards from that?

As for the economic indicators, they should probably be either mediocre or good. The South hadn't been hit very hard by the Panic of 1857, and the North had pretty much recovered by the 1860s.

The total money spent on this election was only about a million dollars. Can you work backwards from that?

As for the economic indicators, they should probably be either mediocre or good. The South hadn't been hit very hard by the Panic of 1857, and the North had pretty much recovered by the 1860s.

I used a couple places to calculate how much money was worth then compared to now and got this

What cost $1 in 1860 would cost $22.82 in 2007.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2007 and 1860,

they would cost you $1 and $0.05 respectively.

and the other thing said $100 then is worth about $2,000 now or that $100 now was worth about 5 cents so the two agree. I think this is what that means :D

I used a couple places to calculate how much money was worth then compared to now and got this

and the other thing said $100 then is worth about $2,000 now or that $100 now was worth about 5 cents so the two agree. I think this is what that means :D

That, I think, is the money coefficient, which is out of 100 (I've now set it to 5). But there's also a seperate fundraising coefficient, which is out of 1000. Anyone know what that means, and what it should be set to for 1860?

That, I think, is the money coefficient, which is out of 100 (I've now set it to 5). But there's also a seperate fundraising coefficient, which is out of 1000. Anyone know what that means, and what it should be set to for 1860?

Try setting it to 5 as well and see what happens. I honestly don't know.

I've begun work on Step Three: Political Units; actually creating the states. Does anyone know Illinois' nickname before it was 'Land of Lincoln?' And where can I find national and state flags from 1860 in .bmp or convertable form in one place? And finally, where can I find the results of the 1860 census.

Also, I'd imagine in this election, state issue centres would be more extreme than normal, often going as far as full Left or Right on many issues.

I've begun work on Step Three: Political Units; actually creating the states. Does anyone know Illinois' nickname before it was 'Land of Lincoln?' And where can I find national and state flags from 1860 in .bmp or convertable form in one place? And finally, where can I find the results of the 1860 census.

Also, I'd imagine in this election, state issue centres would be more extreme than normal, often going as far as full Left or Right on many issues.

Census - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Census,_1860

US Flag- us33star.jpg

I believe most of the state flags would have been the same as they are now.

This flag is great, and these census results should really help too. BTW, what would I multiply the population by for eligible voters with a voting age of I believe 21 at the time?

As for state flags, I think most of the Northern and Western flags were the same, and I'm quite sure Texas, but most modern Southern flags harkon back to Confederate flag symbolry, and in 1860 the Confederacy is a future institution that can't be harkoned back to.

This flag is great, and these census results should really help too. BTW, what would I multiply the population by for eligible voters with a voting age of I believe 21 at the time?

As for state flags, I think most of the Northern and Western flags were the same, and I'm quite sure Texas, but most modern Southern flags harkon back to Confederate flag symbolry, and in 1860 the Confederacy is a future institution that can't be harkoned back to.

4,685,561 people voted and the voter turnout was 81.2% thus there were 5,780,286 possible voters.

This is very weird. I went to www.census.gov, and the document they had online, at least under 'Population by color and county,' which had easily accessible state totals, only went up, in alphebetical order by state, to Delaware! I then DL'd a big .zip file from them, which had 16 .PDF files, but all had that identical Alabama to Delaware file. Where am I going to get the remaining state populations?

Okay, I found the other census files; it was a nested PDF.

My formula for eligible voters is to take the total state population, subtract all slaves in slave states, multiply the remaining population by .69 to get those 21 and older, then divide that number by two to get all males. This still comes somewhat high compared to Abe's number (I got 9 million-something nationally), but compared to 31 million-something denizens, it's a reasonable, if not accurate, fudge (I really don't know the other qualifiers of the day to vote I should be eliminating on).

Okay, I found the other census files; it was a nested PDF.

My formula for eligible voters is to take the total state population, subtract all slaves in slave states, multiply the remaining population by .69 to get those 21 and older, then divide that number by two to get all males. This still comes somewhat high compared to Abe's number (I got 9 million-something nationally), but compared to 31 million-something denizens, it's a reasonable, if not accurate, fudge (I really don't know the other qualifiers of the day to vote I should be eliminating on).

What's next?