270soft Forum

Released: Florida Senatorial - 2010

Every poll thus far shows this race leans Dem. Admiteddly that would change if Jeb Bush was the candidate, against such a weak candidate as Alex Sink.

And if your going to put the strongest Rep candidate, then you might as well put the strongest Dem candidate as well: Bob Graham.

Other then that, the ECs are a little weird. There are so many of them.

Every poll thus far shows this race leans Dem. Admiteddly that would change if Jeb Bush was the candidate, against such a weak candidate as Alex Sink.

And if your going to put the strongest Rep candidate, then you might as well put the strongest Dem candidate as well: Bob Graham.

Other then that, the ECs are a little weird. There are so many of them.

All those polls that show the race leaning Dem are with Mel Martinez. There's a big difference between Mel Martinez having a 30% approval rating and Jeb Bush having a 70 % approval rating. There have been no polls taken in a hypothetical race with Jeb Bush in 2008. The closet I could find was a 2006 poll over a Jeb Bush vs. Bill Nelson race.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/F...-election,-2006

Bush is ahead of Nelson by 13 points. So I don't think my game is far off. Also, it's not so much about the strongest candidate, it's the most probable. I really have not heard of Bob Graham running again.

This scenario turned out very well.

I played as Sink, and it took me a few tries to finally beat Jeb.

When I did win, it was by the barest of margins - only 13,000 votes in Broward County decided the election, and I even narrowly lost the popular vote, 50.3%-49.7%.

This scenario was pretty fun, and in my view fairly realistic.

Since Jeb is tainted by his last name, and Sink is a weaker candidate, it makes sense that this would be close, with a narrow advantage to Jeb.

I only have two suggestions for this.

First, I'd love to see primaries, possibly with Charlie Crist, Jim Davis and others in the race.

Second, the electoral vote total should definitely be reduced - on the Election Night screen, the electoral votes overlap with the popular vote percentage, creating an unreadable mess.

Excellent work, and thanks!

Archived