270soft Forum

Weimar 1933?

RI Democrat

So...um...would it be in bad taste to create a scenario based around the March 1933 election in the Weimar Republic (i.e. the one that allowed the Nazis to cobble together enough votes for the Enabling Act)?

For obvious reasons, it might be interesting to try, but for equally obvious reasons, I have some serious misgivings about making a game out of that kind of historical event (especially one where the player would be able to play as the Nazis). OTOH, I'm guessing that there are WWII games out there where you can play as the Axis powers, so...yeah. Any thoughts?

Go for it. If someone finds it offensive they aren't obliged to play it, and you don't have to use any overly gross language, the Nazis discriminated but weren't doing anything near the holocaust at the time--its the same thing as talking about black slaves in scenarios, less even.

I think it would be in very poor taste. I made a scenario with a Nazi Party as a playable party, and I really regretted it (plus the scenario turned out rather bad).

However, if you want to put all the effort into making such a scenario; then you can go ahead. But I would support boycotting it. It's just my personal taste.

I disagree with it being in 'poor taste.' It's a historical simulation, not an endorsement ad. What's in poor taste is censorship of history. Also, no one complains about the board game Axis & Allies, where you can play Nazi Germany, and, in fact, someone has to to get the game going. And no one brought up such issues or threatened a boycott when Abe Lincoln proposed an 1860 Presidential Election scenario on these forums, even though you can play the Southern Democrats, who supported the continuation of Black slavery indefinitely, another modern cultural sore point. I'd say doing this scenario in an objective manner, which represents a pivotal historical point, which yes, lead to immense tragedy, but nonethless shaped the world today, is perfectly appropriate.

When deciding on which German elections to make, i did think about doing a Weimar Republic election if i ever got to do a second one(after Germany 1990 which i have planned). I would like to see this, it is still a pivotal election to learn more about, and and the scenario may help that, and it serves as a warning from history why this should never happen again.

I disagree with it being in 'poor taste.' It's a historical simulation, not an endorsement ad. What's in poor taste is censorship of history. Also, no one complains about the board game Axis & Allies, where you can play Nazi Germany, and, in fact, someone has to to get the game going. And no one brought up such issues or threatened a boycott when Abe Lincoln proposed an 1860 Presidential Election scenario on these forums, even though you can play the Southern Democrats, who supported the continuation of Black slavery indefinitely, another modern cultural sore point. I'd say doing this scenario in an objective manner, which represents a pivotal historical point, which yes, lead to immense tragedy, but nonethless shaped the world today, is perfectly appropriate.

THANK YOU!

OK, I've started working on issues. I'm not going to mess with ridings for now, other than adding in some new regions that were part of Germany in 1933 but aren't on the modern-day map -- I'll just use the electorate trends to adjust the strength of the parties. And I may not include every single party that actually participated, especially since the details about regional strengths and issue stances have been difficult to track down so far.

BTW, does anyone know much about the two Catholic parties at the time, namely the Centre Party and the Bavarian People's Party, and whether they were mostly operating as a single faction at the time? I'm trying to figure out whether to separate them or treat them as one party along the lines of the modern-day CDU/CSU.

I do know the Centre Party ran candidates in Bavaria against Bavarian People's Party candidates, but they tended to vote together, and were always in a coalition together previously. Also, most Centre Party candidates tended to trail Bavarian People's Party candidates in Bavaria, so I'd say they could easily be done as a single party.

Archived