270soft Forum

Tie-breakers

bih23

Since campaigns forever only allows us to use FPP for the general election, and since my scenario uses a lot of different parties, I end up with a lot of ties. Then "congress" decides. Is there a way to script who wins in cases of ties. Seemed totally random in my first play through.

• 3 weeks later...

I would assume it's based off of the RL tie breaker for Presidential elections.

IRL, if there is a tie or no majority (270) in the Electoral College, the election gets tossed to the House of Reps. States vote for president in bloc: whichever party has the majority of congressmen from a particular state gets all the electoral votes.

For example; let's say in 2012, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama ( :P ) get a 269-269 tie (highly unlikely, but we'll use it anyway). It goes to the House of Reps. Let's say Virginia went for Palin, but because a plurality of Virginia's congressmen are Democrats, the electoral votes are decided by the Democrats, which vote for Obama, thus giving Obama Virginia's electoral votes. California votes for Obama, but (hehe) the majority of CA's reps are Republican, so they get to decide where the electoral votes go, and they vote for Palin. Voila! Palin gets majority (270+). Palin becomes next president. :D

So, when you mark "has majority", that party has a majority of the congressional seats in that region. Whichever party has the total majority of seats will always win in event of a tie.

Make sense?

States vote for president in bloc: whichever party has the majority of congressmen from a particular state gets all the electoral votes.

Not quite. The states' number of electoral votes is immaterial at this point. Once the election goes to the House, each state's delegation controls only one vote and an absolute majority is required to win. With the current number of states, you'd need 26 delegations out of 50 to vote for the winning candidate.