270soft Forum

Acadie 2009

I have just completed this brand new scenario which I shall be sending to Theoryspark for inclusion on their website.

If you would like an advanced copy, please either post your email or send me a message with your email.

I will then email you the scenario in a rar (zip) file on the condition that once you have tried the scenario, you post your feedback here, critical or otherwise.

The idea of doing a Louisiana Scenario and posting it in the USA section appeals to me. :rolleyes:

Sure, if you find a map it will be fun to do an Nouvelle-France/Louisiane scenario in the Canadian section! (Nouvelle-France was also called Canada) :D

Of course there is (and were) quite a lot of of Cadiens (Cajun) politiciens both for the Dems and the GOP.

• Upvote 1
Sure, if you find a map it will be fun to do an Nouvelle-France/Louisiane scenario in the Canadian section! (Nouvelle-France was also called Canada) :D

Of course there is (and were) quite a lot of of Cadiens (Cajun) politiciens both for the Dems and the GOP.

And also, as the song in The Commitments revealed;

"Elvis was a Cajun, he had a Cajun heart

He wen't down to Memphis, that's where he made a start"

I just played Acadie 2009 for the first time and I'm impressed. The overall concept intrigued me because a few years back I attempted to create a scenario based on a "Maritime Union", but after failing in the map making process for about the 100th time, I just gave up on it. I actually think the map used in this scenario was one of the maps I had attempted to use to create a map of the three provinces but it ended up a disaster.

Just a couple of quick observations on the scenario.

- I would have more than 32 seats, maybe even 2x as many. When I was trying to create the Maritime Union scenario, I took the number of federal seats in the provinces and doubled them.

- Maybe add some additional leaders. For the Conservatives I would suggest adding Bernard Lord, and maybe Neil LeBlanc who I believe was the first Acadien cabinet minister in Nova Scotia (not 100% postitive) and came close to being the provinces first Acadien premier in 2006.

- While the day of the election is really not that important and makes no difference to the game, I would still change the date because an election wouldn't be held on Sunday.

Overall, like I said above, I really liked the scenario. Good work.

• Upvote 1
Just a couple of quick observations on the scenario.

- I would have more than 32 seats, maybe even 2x as many. When I was trying to create the Maritime Union scenario, I took the number of federal seats in the provinces and doubled them.

- Maybe add some additional leaders. For the Conservatives I would suggest adding Bernard Lord, and maybe Neil LeBlanc who I believe was the first Acadien cabinet minister in Nova Scotia (not 100% postitive) and came close to being the provinces first Acadien premier in 2006.

- While the day of the election is really not that important and makes no difference to the game, I would still change the date because an election wouldn't be held on Sunday.

Thanks for the feedback Capes. In response to your feedback;

- 32 seats is small. I did consider using Provincial/Maine Senate ridings but thought this was too many. I wasn't keen to 'make stuff up' so settle for the smaller parliament. It could be argued that Maine is under-represented but in my timeline the Maine population is a lot smaller.

- I deliberately avoided using Provincial politicians as leaders to re-inforce the 'Federal feel' of the scenario. Any arguement for specifically using Acadien politicians is negated as in my timeline, the entire population, including 'Pierre' Mackay, are Acadien.

- The dates were purely arbitrary and I should have checked. Thanks for pointing this out.

Feel free to use any of my scenario for your revived Maritime scenario. I shall be uploading the corrected scenario after I have had other feedback.

I would also be interested to hear how well you did playing it.

One seat per Maine county will not be good?

Also, for the Gaspésie seats I think they sould be like that:

Bonaventure:

PC=Darryl Gray 3x

PL=Nathalie Normandeau 3x

AS=Hélène Morin 1x

PV=Julien Leblanc 1x

Îles-de-la-Madeleine:

PC=Patrick Leblanc 1x

PL=Georges Farrah 3x

AS=Maxime Arsenau 3x

PV=Nicolas Tremblay 1x

Matane:

PC=Jérôme Landry 2x

PL=Nancy Charest 3x

AS=Julie Demers 1x

PV=Louis Drainville 1x

Gaspé:

PC=Bruno Cloutier 1x

PL=Georges Mamelonet 3x

AS=Gaston Langlais 3x

PV=Annie Chouinard 1x

Matapédia:

PC=Rémy Villeneuve 2x

PL=Jean-Yves Roy 2x

AS=Dominic Fortin 1x

PV=Jean-François Guay 1x

• Upvote 1
I would also be interested to hear how well you did playing it.

I had a very interesting attempt with the Conservatives winning a landslide. They had 25 seats, over 52% of the vote, but all was not great for the party, with MacKay losing his own seat to May. The AS picked up 5, Godin and the 4 seats in the Halifax area, and Rodger Cuzner was the lone Liberal. Poor Rodger will probably end up sitting next to May in the House.

• Upvote 1
Feel free to use any of my scenario for your revived Maritime scenario.

I think I still have a file somewhere with the breakdown of ridings and some other things, so If I can somehow figure out the map, I may take another crack at it. Thanks for the offer.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I downloaded this recently, and found while it was good on its own, it could use some tweaks.

-Maine needs more seats to bring it in line with it's population, I used the constit editor to make new seats and candidates for about 10 seats, however, I did have some weird difficulties for the new Maine seats, as I was having AS win seats with only 7% of the vote. If someone is better at constit editing, they should look into that.

-Perhaps the creation of a Bloc Gaspe party? I tried but my scenario editing wasn't quite good enough.

-The Verts should be particularly strong in Maine, as the real life Maine Independent Greens are, with the possible exception of the California Greens, the strongest state Green party.

I also designed some logos for the parties:

urm2e.png

xgcqwl.png

2i8kpxh.png

29m0qpv.png

Thanks for your feedback Normie.

In response;

I never use the constituency editor as I feel that it is too inflexible. With regard to your scenario editing skills - keep at it. While mine may be good, I have yet to work out how one puts graphics like you have, in your message.

Your right about Maine. Looking back, I should have either lowered the population for Maine or increased it's representation. Lowering the population would have been the easiest.

I have no desire to revisit this scenario myself. Others are totally free to take any aspect of it, change it or re-use it as they see fit. I understand that a variant of this scenario has been done for the US version but I do not know what it is like. Check the US board if you are interested.