270soft Forum

Greater USA-2008

Ok, I am thinking of doing a ''what-if'' scenario with all the US territories over time voting for a president (plus the Philippines and Cuba which are US States).

Basically, it will have the 50 states plus:

-Cuba

-Puerto Rico

-US Virgin Islands

-American Samoa

-Northern Mariana Islands

-Guam

-Phillippines

Any thoughts or comments?

• Upvote 1

I think its a facinating idea for a scenario, just a few thoughts:

1. I assume DC also still gets to vote for President

2. What are the views of these regions? Assuming they've had power over American government for some time, they probably would differ from where they stand right now, particularly Cuba.

3. If these are territories, rather than states, can candidates from these territories run for president?

4. Is the presidential history of the U.S. the same with these territories voting in the past?

Let me know your thoughts, I think this could be a very interesting scenario.

1. I assume DC also still gets to vote for President

Yes, of course!

2. What are the views of these regions? Assuming they've had power over American government for some time, they probably would differ from where they stand right now, particularly Cuba.

Cuba: Possibly Dem vs GOP tie.

Puerto Rico: Slight Dem

USVI: Dem Solid

American Samoa: Slight Dem

Northern Mariana Islands: Dem vs. GOP tie.

Guam: Dem vs. GOP tie.

Phillipines: Slight Dem.

3. If these are territories, rather than states, can candidates from these territories run for president?

Yes, they had changed the constitution as for anybody who was born in the these territories or the 50 states could run for president.

4. Is the presidential history of the U.S. the same with these territories voting in the past?

Yes, because except for Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Phillipines they are very marginal as small US states like Rhode Island or Wyoming.

In 2000 and 2004 Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Phillipines both voted GOP with a very narrow lead.

• Upvote 1

I think that there would be some kind of clause that Territories couldn't have more power than the most powerful state, like DC but opposite, so I think the Phillippines should have 54 EVs. I don't think Americans or their legislatures would agree to allow them to vote any other way.

Yes, of course!

Cuba: Possibly Dem vs GOP tie.

Puerto Rico: Slight Dem

USVI: Dem Solid

American Samoa: Slight Dem

Northern Mariana Islands: Dem vs. GOP tie.

Guam: Dem vs. GOP tie.

Phillipines: Slight Dem.

Yes, they had changed the constitution as for anybody who was born in the these territories or the 50 states could run for president.

Yes, because except for Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Phillipines they are very marginal as small US states like Rhode Island or Wyoming.

In 2000 and 2004 Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Phillipines both voted GOP with a very narrow lead.

Cuba should be solidly Dem as they are communists.

I would say they are moving more toward the center though. This year Democrats have put the three Florida seats held by Cuban American's in play.

Well the issue is not Cuban Americans, but rather the waves of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and Central Americans who are moving into Florida. These constituencies are much poorer, are recent immigrants or children thereof, and more Democratic-leaning.