270soft Forum

United States 2012

United States 2012 Libertarians: John Mccain has won the 2008 presidential election by a very small margain. The democrats gain seats in congrss. In early 2010 the troops leave iraq. The country is relativley safe. But the economy is still stuggling. President Mccain and the dmeocratic congress pass bailout after bailout. They tighten regulation to almost the breaking point. The economy keeps getting worse. Inthe 2010 conrgessional elections a new force rises on the scene. The libertarian party running on a de regulation platform. They manage four seats in the house and de facto leader Bob Barr wins a senate seat. They finish second in a gubernatorial race and pick up seats in numerous statehouses. Ron Paul crosses the floor to join th party closer to his idelology. In 2012 the country is still no better. The libertarians are doing well in many polls and many speculate can be a force to be reckoned with in this election

Notes: I plan on making it very difficult for the Libertarians to win but not impossible. They'll have a competitive primary contest. Anyone interested? Cnadidates? Events? Issues

United States 2012: Obama/Palin: The race in 2008 ends in a electoral tie (more likely then many would think). The house handily elects Barack Obama as president but in the Senate, independent Joe Liberman votes for Sara Palin for vice president leaving it as a tie. Vice President Dick Cheny breaks the tie making Sara Palin the new Vice president. Many are worried having two so inexperienced candidates could cripple the country. The first term goes relativley well for Obama. The troops are home from iraq and the economy holds stable. But in 2011 the economy begins to go sour. Iran is threatning to invade israel. Obama faces a challenge from not only the republicans but from his own party.

Notes: Both primaries will be competitive. GE will be a tossup

United States 2012: Biden: Barack Obama wins the 2008 presidential election but before inaguration day it is discovered that he is not natural born. Joe Biden becomes president and chooses Evan Bayh as his veep. Bidens fist term goes well. The troops are home and the economy is in decent shape but the scandal in the democratic party emerges as details about a coverup of Obamas birthplace is discovered. Wil people vote in integrity or the state of the country?

Notes: Disclaimer: I am of the opinion that Barack Obama was born in the US and is eligable for the presidency. To quote Kauai "this is a scenario".

United States 2012: Iran. Barack Obama wins the 2008 election. The economy is recovering and the troops are home. Obama looks primed to win re election until mid 2011 when Iran attacks isreal. Obama is slow to respond and becomes unpopular. Iran invades iraq. US forces are currently battling to push the Iranis back over the iraqi border but could new threats emerge?

• Upvote 1

Good ideas, though there's no way that Palin would win in the 111th Congress. The Democrats are guaranteed pickups in VA and NM, and will more than likely win in AK, NH and CO. NC and OR are leaning our way, and MN is heading that way as well. GA and KY are close, and I wouldn't write us out in MS.

Point is, in order for it to be an Obama - Palin White House, it would require much more than Joe Lieberman.

Good ideas, though there's no way that Palin would win in the 111th Congress. The Democrats are guaranteed pickups in VA and NM, and will more than likely win in AK, NH and CO. NC and OR are leaning our way, and MN is heading that way as well. GA and KY are close, and I wouldn't write us out in MS.

Point is, in order for it to be an Obama - Palin White House, it would require much more than Joe Lieberman.

Your probably right. But we can stretch the truth a little.

• Upvote 1

For the 2008 election, the 110th Congress would be voting to fill the Presidency and the Vice-Presidency not the 111th Congress. So while the Democrats would pick up those seats, the incoming Democrats would not be able to vote for the President and Vice-President only those that are in the current Congress. So in this scenario it is entirely possible that Obama becomes President and Palin becomes Vice-President.

United States 2012: Obama/Palin: The race in 2008 ends in a electoral tie (more likely then many would think). The house handily elects Barack Obama as president but in the Senate, independent Joe Liberman votes for Sara Palin for vice president leaving it as a tie. Vice President Dick Cheny breaks the tie making Sara Palin the new Vice president. Many are worried having two so inexperienced candidates could cripple the country. The first term goes relativley well for Obama. The troops are home from iraq and the economy holds stable. But in 2011 the economy begins to go sour. Iran is threatning to invade israel. Obama faces a challenge from not only the republicans but from his own party.

Notes: Both primaries will be competitive. GE will be a tossup

United States 2012: Biden: Barack Obama wins the 2008 presidential election but before inaguration day it is discovered that he is not natural born. Joe Biden becomes president and chooses Evan Bayh as his veep. Bidens fist term goes well. The troops are home and the economy is in decent shape but the scandal in the democratic party emerges as details about a coverup of Obamas birthplace is discovered. Wil people vote in integrity or the state of the country?

Notes: Disclaimer: I am of the opinion that Barack Obama was born in the US and is eligable for the presidency. To quote Kauai "this is a scenario".

Either one is good. I like Obama-Palin the best.

For the 2008 election, the 110th Congress would be voting to fill the Presidency and the Vice-Presidency not the 111th Congress.

Given that the results wouldn't be read until a joint session of Congress on January 6, 2009, it would almost certainly be the 111th Congress.

Given that the results wouldn't be read until a joint session of Congress on January 6, 2009, it would almost certainly be the 111th Congress.

Possibly but certification of votes for each state takes place 6 days after the election. My guess would be then that the House and Senate Republicans would want to push a vote to the floor as soon as possible to get Palin as the VP.

United States 2012 Libertarians: John Mccain has won the 2008 presidential election by a very small margain. The democrats gain seats in congrss. In early 2010 the troops leave iraq. The country is relativley safe. But the economy is still stuggling. President Mccain and the dmeocratic congress pass bailout after bailout. They tighten regulation to almost the breaking point. The economy keeps getting worse. Inthe 2010 conrgessional elections a new force rises on the scene. The libertarian party running on a de regulation platform. They manage four seats in the house and de facto leader Bob Barr wins a senate seat. They finish second in a gubernatorial race and pick up seats in numerous statehouses. Ron Paul crosses the floor to join th party closer to his idelology. In 2012 the country is still no better. The libertarians are doing well in many polls and many speculate can be a force to be reckoned with in this election

I'll help out with this one.

Candidates

Republican:

President John McCain

Senator Richard Shelby(antibailout republican)

Senator Mike Huckabe(wins Lincoln's seat and also opposes bailout)

Democrats:

Senator Barack Obama(again promising change in an economic crisis)\

Represenative Dennis Kunich(antibailout democrat)

Senator Hilary Clinton(running because Obama is running)

Libratarians:

Senator Bob Barr(only Libratarian senator)

Represenative Ron Paul(staunchly against every McCain policy)

Represenative Allan Buckley(forced runoff in 2008 Georgia Senate race and becae Rep. in 2010)

Buisnessman Wayne Allan Root(came in second in gubernatorial race)

If you can think of any others please tell me.

Candidates

Republican:

President John McCain

Senator Richard Shelby(antibailout republican)

Senator Mike Huckabe(wins Lincoln's seat and also opposes bailout)

Democrats:

Senator Barack Obama(again promising change in an economic crisis)\

Represenative Dennis Kunich(antibailout democrat)

Senator Hilary Clinton(running because Obama is running)

Libratarians:

Senator Bob Barr(only Libratarian senator)

Represenative Ron Paul(staunchly against every McCain policy)

Represenative Allan Buckley(forced runoff in 2008 Georgia Senate race and becae Rep. in 2010)

Buisnessman Wayne Allan Root(came in second in gubernatorial race)

If you can think of any others please tell me.

Great list. Maybe add Romney because of his business experience. He'd probably be anti bailout.

• Upvote 1

Possibly but certification of votes for each state takes place 6 days after the election.

State certification doesn't matter in this case. What does matter is when the electors vote and the results of that vote are made public. Until that time, nothing has truly been decided. The electors themselves won't vote until December 15 and the results of their vote would not be made public until that joint session of Congress on January 6.

My guess would be then that the House and Senate Republicans would want to push a vote to the floor as soon as possible to get Palin as the VP.

Besides the fact that this would be a huge political risk and a potential PR nightmare, the minority party might not be able to make that happen.

Why do we need Obama president? Stay on course just because Obama won IRL doesn't mean we can't have an alternate history. The GOP breakup could be a seperate scenario. The Libertarians wouldn't gain power if BOTH parties didn't have some kind of power and blame.

• Upvote 1

Why do we need Obama president? Stay on course just because Obama won IRL doesn't mean we can't have an alternate history. The GOP breakup could be a seperate scenario. The Libertarians wouldn't gain power if BOTH parties didn't have some kind of power and blame.
:blink:

The original object of this scenario the libratarians rising because of regulation is more likely with an Obama presidency and also more realistic. The republicans support all of the Obama bailouts and so do the Democrats so the Libratarians will rise. :P

If anyone has suggestions for candidates of all the partys I will gladly take them. I am looking forward to the primaries in this scenario

:blink:

The original object of this scenario the libratarians rising because of regulation is more likely with an Obama presidency and also more realistic. The republicans support all of the Obama bailouts and so do the Democrats so the Libratarians will rise. :P

If anyone has suggestions for candidates of all the partys I will gladly take them. I am looking forward to the primaries in this scenario

C'mon. Keep it as it is. The libertarians won't rise unless BOTH parties get blamed. The GOP won't get blamed if they don't hold either house or the white house.

• Upvote 1