270soft Forum

US 2012, President McCain

It is 2012, and four years after the election of John McCain to the presidency.

McCain has kept the troops in Iraq, and the war is approved of of most because of the capture of Osama Bin Laden. Elizabeth Dole who lost her seat in 2008. Dole's story was the story of many republicans. Republicans now have gained a majority. McCain experienced what Bush faced in his first two years, but the republicans had the magic numbers in both houses, and helped McCain out. McCain has an approval of around 60%-65%.

Obama has lost his senate seat to Mark Kirk.

Republicans

President McCain

Senator Sam Brownback (off)

VP Palin (off)

Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton

Sen. Kay Hagen

Gov. Tim Kaine

Senator Claire McCaskill

Independents

Michael Bloomberg

Ralph Nader

Libertarian

Dr. Mary Ruwart

Mr. Wayne Allyn Root

Congressman Bob Barr

Ron Paul

Constitution

Michael Perokuta

Chuck Baldwin

Alan Keyes

It is 2012, and four years after the election of John McCain to the presidency.

McCain has kept the troops in Iraq, and the war is approved of of most because of the capture of Osama Bin Laden. Elizabeth Dole who lost her seat in 2008 won the seat in 2010 upon the surprise retirement of Richard Burr. Dole has become one of the most prominet republicans in the country. Dole's story was the story of many republicans. McCain experienced what Bush faced in his first two years, but the republicans had the majic numbers in both houses, and helped McCain out. McCain has an approval of around 60%-65%.

Obama has lost his senate seat to Mark Kirk.

Republicans

President McCain

Senator E. Dole (off)

VP Palin (off)

Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton

Gov. Kay Hagen

Gov. Tim Kaine

Senator Elizabeth Edwards (replaced Hagen)

Ralph Nader (off)

Independents

Michael Bloomberg

Ummm this is coming out of left field entirely. Dole is definitely not running for President ever, realistic challenges to McCain would be from the Conservative wing of the party a la Huckabee, Barbour, Brownback, etc.

Hagan is not going to be Governor by 2012, it's impossible.

Ummm this is coming out of left field entirely. Dole is definitely not running for President ever, realistic challenges to McCain would be from the Conservative wing of the party a la Huckabee, Barbour, Brownback, etc.

Hagan is not going to be Governor by 2012, it's impossible.

fixed

Maybe a moderate from the Midwest or Southwest too, Rep Chet Edwards of Texas or Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri. I really doubt two sitting Senators from NC would run at the same time and I also highly doubt that Elizabeth Edwards ever seeks office especially considering her husband's affair.

And unlike you idiots, I see this is a SCENARIO and wont freak out. :rolleyes:

Also btw; My scenario, while admitedly unlikely, is still 100 times more likely to happen.

But hey, theyse are all scenarios.

" Obama has lost his senate seat to Mark Kirk. "

And you say I am partisan? That has NOTHING to do with the scenario, other than for you to indulge in your dreams.

Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton

Sen. Kay Hagen

Gov. Tim Kaine

Senator Claire McCaskill

Clinton I can see, I doubt Hagen, Kaine has a one term limit and steps down in 2010, and McCaskill I can see.

I'd also add, as mentioned, Chet Edwards (being considered for VP got him a nice boost), Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana, Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, possibly Senator Jim Webb also of Virginia (he has no interest in being VP, but President… perhaps), and some others will probably give it a shot.

As for the Republicans I doubt anyone would challenge McCain, frankly, but if you had a house rule where he died and Palin was on I could see Huckabee, Jindal, Romney, the usual cast of characters challenge her. It would be more like '76 than 1980 after all minus Watergate and so I could see there being a strong field against her.

Mark Kirk is going to lose this year, let alone beat Obama next year. O is unbelievably popular in Illinois. Don't hold your breath on that one.

Also, it's just about impossible for the Republicans to pick the House or Senate back up by 2012. The Democrats will have at least 58, maybe even more Senate seats, and are set to pick up another 20+ in the House. Even if there were sweeping gains for the Republicans in 2010, it's not going to mean picking up 50 House seats and 8 out of 15 Democratic Senate seats up for re-election.

Hagan won't run for President in 2012; she's a rising star, but not that quickly. To be completely honest, I can't see Kaine ever running for President unless he is appointed to a Cabinet position under Obama. He'll have been out of the Governor's Mansion for 3 years - it'll be tough for him to keep his profile up. Hillary would definitely run again, though I can't see McCaskille running against Hillary. They would both appeal to the same type of voter, and I don't think that McCaskille would take that risk, especially given that she'll be up for re-election that year. No, Claire would be content to sit in the Senate, I think.

Also, why would Osama bin Laden's capture change public opinion on Iraq? Unless he was caught inside Iraqi borders, I fail to see the connection.