270soft Forum

If the election goes to the House

i know whatever party has the congressional majority names their candidate but!

there are several scenerios where the House is tied (I re-did The Wedge centers to make it tied, no change) and it seems to always go to the incumbant party, regardless of the pop. vote or electoral vote!

Am i doing something wrong? Is it a bug? Or is that just how it is?

gotta be a way to have it go to whomever gets the most electoral votes, or wins the popular vote - is there?

If I have my constitutional hisotry down in the case of a tie the President of the Senate may choose. I can't think of any other senario since there are 50 states it is possible for there to be a tie.

However, in real life. The House chooses the President, and the Senate chooses the Vice President. That's why this year there was a small possiblity of a Bush/Edwards presidency.

12th Amendement

--if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President. The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

What I want to know is, if, IN THE GAME, no party has a majority in the house (say 17 Reps, 17 Dems, 17 Tie) then what does the game use to pick the winner?

top 3? so lets just say hypothetically i'm doing this year and there is no congressional majority are u saying there is a 33% chance nader could win (even if he got like 2% of the vote)

LOL Lets hope Ralph Nader doesn't see this. Making this the new system will be his new mission

top 3? so lets just say hypothetically i'm doing this year and there is no congressional majority are u saying there is a 33% chance nader could win (even if he got like 2% of the vote)

LOL Lets hope Ralph Nader doesn't see this. Making this the new system will be his new mission

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't know, but in case where no one gets a majority, wouldn't there be much pressure on the people in Congress to choose the one with the most electoral/popular vote? I mean if there's three candidates, two with more or less the same number of votes and EVs and a third one with only half of what the two others have, but the third one is from a party with majority in Congress, then Congress would have difficulty nominating their candidate, right? I'd expect rioting and country-wide denounciations of Congress.

I don't know, but in case where no one gets a majority, wouldn't there be much pressure on the people in Congress to choose the one with the most electoral/popular vote? I mean if there's three candidates, two with more or less the same number of votes and EVs and a third one with only half of what the two others have, but the third one is from a party with majority in Congress, then Congress would have difficulty nominating their candidate, right? I'd expect rioting and country-wide denounciations of Congress.

Yes, there would be pressure, but it did happen in 1824, and Congress elected the second place guy: John Quincy Adams over Andrew Jackson.

Indeed, the result did plague the Adams Administration. Jacksonians cried "corrupt bargain!" because the guy who swung Congress to Adams, Henry Clay (who was actually the 4th-vote-winning candidate), was given the post of Secretary of State.

• 3 weeks later...