270soft Forum

winning strategies

johnny_raoul

w/ Dynamism on it seems possible to win w/ any candidate in any scenerio, two partys is easier - just save your scandal till 7-10 days b4 the elction then spin the hell out of it

won huge w/ McGovern in '72, Stevenson in '52 (two very Red bias maps) that way, and in every other scenerio as well

I've never won w/ Debs, but I think I've only played him a couple times - tend to go w/ TR in 1912

w/o dynamism and w/o regionalism, certain scenerios are almost impossible to win w/ the underdog canidate

w/ regionalism w/o dynamism (the way I play always now) things are tougher, you gotta pay attention to those Issue Boneses big time - giving a speech on say Social Security in a white state w/ a +1 on that issue can win you the state - gotta target ads too, to play to your issue bones in specific states

for example, in my The Wedge, if you are a Prog, its absolutely critical to pay attention to that or you'll never make it. it'll end up in the House and the Republicans will always win (I have a question about that, I'll put it on another thread).

almost have to take notes, I've done so sometimes, to know which states to run issue ads in etc

have to say, the folks at 80soft have made a heckuva good game and with all the scenerios we've added.....

whew!

well done everyone!

well I was going to save this tidbit for myself but here's the single most powerful thing you can do. When there's only two days left in the game (it will say 1 day on the countdown) turn on all of your ads in all of the states. You get a huge momentum sometimes more than 300, literaly like +5 or more in every state. Because the game ends before the "out of money" headline comes up and ending the game in massive debt doesn't effect the outcome, there's no penalty for doing this. It usually bumps my popular vote up by about 10-15% and often makes me win states that weren't even in my electoral strategy. IE with three candidates I go from 20% in New York (not even close) to 40% and win it by a close margin. It is especially effective if the other candidates have negative momentum because it means that the votes they lose are almost certainly going to go to you in addition to any undecided.

There you have it, one of the single most powerful (and cheapest) strategies ever.

well I was going to save this tidbit for myself but here's the single most powerful thing you can do. When there's only two days left in the game (it will say 1 day on the countdown) turn on all of your ads in all of the states. You get a huge momentum sometimes more than 300, literaly like +5 or more in every state. Because the game ends before the "out of money" headline comes up and ending the game in massive debt doesn't effect the outcome, there's no penalty for doing this. [...]

Isn't this exploitation of the game's design borderline cheating? Either way, it's unrealistic for a candidate to spend more than what he or she has, so employing your strategy is certainly unrealistic.

well I was going to save this tidbit for myself but here's the single most powerful thing you can do. When there's only two days left in the game (it will say 1 day on the countdown) turn on all of your ads in all of the states. You get a huge momentum sometimes more than 300, literaly like +5 or more in every state. Because the game ends before the "out of money" headline comes up and ending the game in massive debt doesn't effect the outcome, there's no penalty for doing this. It usually bumps my popular vote up by about 10-15% and often makes me win states that weren't even in my electoral strategy. IE with three candidates I go from 20% in New York (not even close) to 40% and win it by a close margin. It is especially effective if the other candidates have negative momentum because it means that the votes they lose are almost certainly going to go to you in addition to any undecided.

There you have it, one of the single most powerful (and cheapest) strategies ever.

Tom that strategy works very well. I do it everytime I play and have rarely seen it not give me a huge boost. :D

well I was going to save this tidbit for myself but here's the single most powerful thing you can do.  When there's only two days left in the game (it will say 1 day on the countdown) turn on all of your ads in all of the states.  You get a huge momentum sometimes more than 300, literaly like +5 or more in every state.  Because the game ends before the "out of money" headline comes up and ending the game in massive debt doesn't effect the outcome, there's no penalty for doing this. [...]

Isn't this exploitation of the game's design borderline cheating? Either way, it's unrealistic for a candidate to spend more than what he or she has, so employing your strategy is certainly unrealistic.

Consider it a huge donation!!! :D

can't remember who it was, I but recall hearing about a candidate thatw as still payingback campagin debts like 6 yrs after the election....

Harry Browne, the Libertarian. He STILL owes money!

LOL :lol: Its probably okay to incure a debt if you win, but if you lose it really hurts. Harry Browne is still paying off his 2000 expenses I assume? :lol:

my stratergy is i go to the biggest swing state i am losing in and i stay there for the entire week during the week i create foot soliders barmstorm and so on

after that week i move on to the next close large swing state that i'm losing in i create 4 crusaders and i like to run 4 highly sucessful ads for the entire campaign

i win about 60% of the time but because of my stratergy i never ever have a landslide for or against

I love to wait until the end to release a scandal. It often creates a huge turn around in the final Monday poll.

Yeah thats commonly what I do as well. I try to get two or three high damage scandals on my opponent and spend the last two weeks of the campaign spinning them like crazy. Computer third and fourth parties often release their scandals at the end of the campaign too.

I ususally run a ton of ads 3 to 4 days out in all states. It gives you longer momentum. Also, once the "out of funds" headline comes up, you spin it 100%. I ususally end up +300 after 3 or 4 days. The "out of funds" is a one day hit, because your mo is big, you knock it out.

Also, this is realistic. The Clinton 92, 96 and Bush 92, Dole 96 campaigns were all fined years later for exceeding the federal spending limits. I am pretty sure once the 2004 election is review is said and done, both Kerry & Bush will have exceeded limits.

After all, would you rather spend what it takes in the final days, and apologize a year later, or lose?

arianna huffington wrote several very good columns for Salon which disected Kerry's campaign. He was being urged by his foreign policy advisor, Gary Hart and others to shift his message to the war in iraq and national security. that these were the ISSUES, but others were urging him to stay w/ the economy, jobs, heathcare (most notably the Clintonistas who came in) and were telling him not to differentiate his Iraq position from Bush's too much - which led to the inane "would've voted the same way if I knew now" statement.

too much reliance on polling data, focus groups, etc.

if Kerry had articualted a clear Iraq policy that could easily be contrasted w/ Dubya's - it would have helped him a lot. I went to a rally in Jacksonville, in fact he had two, and they both were about heath care? Heath care? You could hear the collective air come out of the crowds sails when he started going on about prescription drugs, but the thunderous roars when he briefly alluded to Iraq.

shame, really

Red Dawn

there is a pretty strong hint in the blurb as to how to win w/ a Dem, but

the purple issues, Reprodcutive rights, civil liberites, moral values are keys to Blue victory. In most of the big ev states a Dem should have a +1 in at least 2 of those issues - make them your theme! you'll be at +3 or +4 by the end of the election = powerful speeches, highly successful ads = votes!

I've won fairly large w/ Richardson and Nelson and close w/ Landrieu and Hillary

not impossible, hard yes

i played gore vs mccain i had the big mo for about 3 weeks mccain had two major scandals and i think i recieved 3 out of 4 endorsement (not to mention highly sucessful ads)

and i still lost by about 100 evs the problems was that when the game began i was already down like 300-90 and i couldn't climb out of that hole