270soft Forum

I played through this as Green and got these results:

2016.jpg

Note that I got Steele, the Republican runner up to endorse me, and this led, for some reason, to -7% for the Republicans, +1% for me, and +6% for the Dems. After that Palin never recovered which led to the landslide.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Yes, Universal Healthcare and higher taxes have been passed, largely with help of a larger Democratic majority in Congress. -The Iraq War is over, and the troops are home. With substantial evidence

Pretty much, yes. They're trying to promote the image of 'restoring' America back to it's glory days, when the economy was strong, the cities were more liveable, a lot more manufactured goods globally

Just did that. He looks pretty presidential. Now, I've got my GOP candidates figured out, most of the rest of the listed GOP suggestions above will likely go to the Veep list. -Sarah Palin (incumban

Hillary's Experience is listed as 3?! I would've thought four at least, by that point arguably even a 5... Also, I would say that it's actually the right-wingers who favor censorship of things like obscenity, but the liberals who favor strict regulation of commercial speech. Furthermore, scrolling through the major-party candidates, I only noticed one particularly liberal Democrat (Rahm) and I think zero Republicans who were fully "Right" for both weighted and non-weighted averages. I would expect both parties, but particularly the Republicans, to have a little more representation of their ideological extremes. I'm also not sure I noticed any of the Republicans representing genuine moderation or a real change in direction for the party.

Note: I just downloaded this scenario, started it up, and poked around for the first time. I apologize if any of the stuff I just said has been said before on this thread.

You do have some good points, there. I will raise Clinton's experience to probably 4, and adjust the Broadcast Standards issue. I'll also adjust a few platforms, as I think one or two of those should be farther right in point of view.

I now have the updated version of President Forever, so I will play this and send my recommendations if any!

I must also make a logo for that third party.

That will be greatly appreciated, EGaffney.

I played through this as Green and got these results:

2016.jpg

Note that I got Steele, the Republican runner up to endorse me, and this led, for some reason, to -7% for the Republicans, +1% for me, and +6% for the Dems. After that Palin never recovered which led to the landslide.

Wow! I had expected the Restoration Party could get EV's, I'd just never thought they'd come out ahead of one of the two major parties. I guess a meltdown like Palin had there would account for such a thing, though.

I'm also somewhat nerfing the endorsement of the two Democratic ex-presidents, as they seem to be a bit two powerful. Plus, why do all three Green Party candidates always ALL show up in the GE? How do I fix that?

• Upvote 2

Wow! I had expected the Restoration Party could get EV's, I'd just never thought they'd come out ahead of one of the two major parties. I guess a meltdown like Palin had there would account for such a thing, though.

Even in the standard scenarios, you can get huge % by winning the endorsement of the second-placed Republican or Democrat candidate.

I think I know why all three Green candidates were in the general election, because it happened to me once by accident: their convention is probably scheduled for some time not actually in the time frame of this election. (You might've just forgotten not to leave it in 2009). I once had this happen for the Republican primary of a 2012 scenario, and playing as Obama I won all 50 stats because none of my opponents got more than 7%.

At least, that's what I thought would be the case, but it appears not to be... the only thing I can think of is, the conventions for the Green and Restoration parties are scheduled after the "General Election begins" date; since there's only one candidate for the Restoration ticket anyway, I think it's possible that having the convention during the general election might negate the convention? But it is confusing.

At least, that's what I thought would be the case, but it appears not to be... the only thing I can think of is, the conventions for the Green and Restoration parties are scheduled after the "General Election begins" date; since there's only one candidate for the Restoration ticket anyway, I think it's possible that having the convention during the general election might negate the convention? But it is confusing.

Yes the Restoration party didn't have a convention when I played so that must be it.

Also, $6,711,558 to run an internet ad in all 50 states is ridiculous.

I think I'll make Internet ads dirt cheap, but have a house rule mandating all 51 regions be targetted (even if any have a power of 0), as it's pretty much impossible to pick and choose which states would be targetted by one.

All these changes will be made, and a v1.2 will be released shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, yeah, it surprised me that Hillary's only Crusader was Chelsea. Where's Bill?

Also, Palin experience 5? Even giving her Leadership 5 seems pretty extreme to me, though you can make a plausible argument in its favor, but her experience shouldn't be higher than 3, even in 2016, I would think.

Oh, yeah, it surprised me that Hillary's only Crusader was Chelsea. Where's Bill?

Also, Palin experience 5? Even giving her Leadership 5 seems pretty extreme to me, though you can make a plausible argument in its favor, but her experience shouldn't be higher than 3, even in 2016, I would think.

How could I forget about Bill? I'll add him right away.

Oh, is her experience STILL 5? I'd actually started this scenario over a year ago (see the early posts of this thread), and it was long before the 2008 election results were in. I was actually assuming a McCain victory in 2008, with Palin as the incumbant in 2016, hence the Expereince rating. I've since virtually flipped this scenario around several times since. The Experience rating was just never fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Bumping an old thread, really, but just a few things:

I found that the primaries were for some reason impossible. I literally carpet-bombed the country with ads, most of which were positive ads for me - yet the more I advertised, the worse my momentum became. In desperation before Super Tuesday, I ran down $25,000,000 in advertising spending over two weeks. Result? My momentum went from -2.3 to -10.1 (yes, negative). My opponents barely ran any ads at all, and I had few scandals run against me, so I have no idea what happened there.

------------------

Mark Warner needs his issue positions changed. While it's possible that he might shift slightly leftward over the coming years, the bottom line is that he's got a long record of being a centrist. He's had plenty of opportunity to move to the left, given his enormous popularity and margin of victory in 2008, but he hasn't. Changes I'd make are:

Crime, International Relations > Centre

Immigration and Government Spending > Centre or Centre-right

Energy > Centre-Left

Sarah Palin's ratings require adjustment, in addition to Experience. Given her abrupt departure from office, it's fair to say that her Leadership rating ought to be bumped down, probably to 3. I'm also puzzled as to why her environmental and energy positions are centre-left, unless this scenario assumes some sort of epiphany on her part.

Bobby Jindal needs to be pushed further to the right. He opposes abortions without exceptions, with only the occasional mention of indirectly allowing them in the case of a threat to the mother's life (i.e. allowing pregnant women in dangerous situations to undergo procedures which may result in the foetus being terminated). When in Congress he was rated one of the lowest on environmental protection metrics. Again, maybe he would have moderated his stances by 2016, but I find it difficult to believe he would have moved all the way to the centre on energy. His immigration stance is also hard-right.

-------------------

Another thing, Michigan's only got 1 delegate in the Dem primaries again. Surely they would have sorted that out by 2016?

• Upvote 1

Bumping an old thread, really, but just a few things:

I found that the primaries were for some reason impossible. I literally carpet-bombed the country with ads, most of which were positive ads for me - yet the more I advertised, the worse my momentum became. In desperation before Super Tuesday, I ran down $25,000,000 in advertising spending over two weeks. Result? My momentum went from -2.3 to -10.1 (yes, negative). My opponents barely ran any ads at all, and I had few scandals run against me, so I have no idea what happened there.

------------------

Mark Warner needs his issue positions changed. While it's possible that he might shift slightly leftward over the coming years, the bottom line is that he's got a long record of being a centrist. He's had plenty of opportunity to move to the left, given his enormous popularity and margin of victory in 2008, but he hasn't. Changes I'd make are:

Crime, International Relations > Centre

Immigration and Government Spending > Centre or Centre-right

Energy > Centre-Left

Sarah Palin's ratings require adjustment, in addition to Experience. Given her abrupt departure from office, it's fair to say that her Leadership rating ought to be bumped down, probably to 3. I'm also puzzled as to why her environmental and energy positions are centre-left, unless this scenario assumes some sort of epiphany on her part.

Bobby Jindal needs to be pushed further to the right. He opposes abortions without exceptions, with only the occasional mention of indirectly allowing them in the case of a threat to the mother's life (i.e. allowing pregnant women in dangerous situations to undergo procedures which may result in the foetus being terminated). When in Congress he was rated one of the lowest on environmental protection metrics. Again, maybe he would have moderated his stances by 2016, but I find it difficult to believe he would have moved all the way to the centre on energy. His immigration stance is also hard-right.

-------------------

Another thing, Michigan's only got 1 delegate in the Dem primaries again. Surely they would have sorted that out by 2016?

Thanks for the input, Cyril. I'll have a look into these factors and see what improvements I can make to make the scenario more realistic.

• Upvote 1

Um how would duncan hunter be governor? Tom Campbell will be the GOP nominee and he is WAY too conservative to beat Gavin Newsome who i believe will be the NEXT governor of CA, so this scenario seams to be a "FAIRY TALE LAND" scenario for the GOP,lol!

I PROMISE YOU even if Duncan Hunter were the GOP candidate that gavin newsome is most likley going to be my new governor, but if campbell is too conservative to beat newsome in CA , then duncan hunter is TEN TIMES too conservative with his policy on building NEW big fences as the border solution (LMAO!!! Do people EVER learn!?) I live in roseville, right above Sacramento, in the 4th district, called RED CALIFORNIA, the most conservative california district, and im a moderate progressive with libertarian views on marijuanna. And somewhat socially and phyischally moderate/conservative but i believe in a public option and the way the GOP has been able to make people who DONT KNOW CRAP , i call the 'American Idiots caucus' of people who tell 44 years olds if they like the system obama and some want to propose wich progressives want to call welfare for all instead of all these terms like co-op , singple payer, that hicks and people who have a good college education but dont even know this stuff! Its unbelievable how many DUMB americans, dumb to the political system and how it works i mean,ofcourse; that there are!

Some of these morons follow glenn beck around like zombies and believe the ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT that people like him and Rush Limbaugh spew out...Limbaugh will say ANYTHING to make obama look BAD and EVIL playing off of racial overtones because he clearly stated QUOTE "I HOPE THIS PRESIDENT FAILS!" Unquote! So Ofcourse he is going to lie his fat ocyxoton addict lump of lard he carrys behind him looking like an overgrown sized Duck, so fat he waddles. lol (thats my attempt at not saying ass because i dont know the language barriers for the board, i know no grotuetis cussing, but i didnt know if i could even say little cuss words like ass, if not i said it twice wondering if i could,lol , so hopefully im not kicked off the board or anything lol. I payed for the congress 4 ever pre release beta.

ANyways im sure i didnt say anything that would get me in trouble, i never know though with how PC even some avenues of the INTERNET are getting, ya know?

Anyways,ill stop my babble now,lol, btw is this scenario you are working on complete? if so or whenever it is can you send it to me please?

My email is FRBKing84@aol.com

thank you...,

-Mith

You forgot the [RANT] [/RANT] tags. :rolleyes:

For the record, Campbell's favourable ratings are significantly better than Newsom's and opinion polls suggest that it would be a dead heat between Campbell and Newsom. Newsom is struggling after being panned for a poor Prop 8 strategy, and would have a high probability of losing if Jerry Brown - or anyone else - chose to enter the race. But in any case, we're talking seven years down the track: this is a future scenario, in which all manner of things could have happened.

I actually extrapolated the list of governors for this scenario quite a while ago. I may need to revisit it.

With more information available, I've redone my list feel free to use the following suggestions:

AL - Bradley Byrne, R

AK - Sean Parnell, R

AZ - Terry Goddard, D

AR - Dustin McDaniel, D

CA - Gavin Newsom, D

CO - John Suthers, R

CT - Richard Blumenthal, D

DE - Jack Markell, D

FL - Bill McCollum, R

GA - Roy Barnes, D

HI - Neil Abercrombie, D

ID - Lawrence Wasden, R

IL - Pat Quinn, D

IN - Todd Rokita, R

IA - Mike Mauro, D

KS - Sam Brownback, R

KY - Richie Farmer, R

LA - Bobby Jindal, R

ME - Libby Mitchell, D

MD - Anthony Brown, D

MA - Bill Galvin, D

MI - Mike Cox, R

MN - R.T. Rybak, D

MS - Phil Bryant, R

MO - Jay Nixon, D

MT - Mike McGrath, D

NE - Jon Bruning, R

NV- Ross Miller, D

NH - John Lynch, D

NJ - Rob Andrews, D

NM - Diane Denish, D

NY - Andrew Cuomo, D

NC - Pat McCrory, R

ND - Wayne Stenehjem, R

OH - Richard Cordray, D

OK - Mary Fallin, R

SC - Henry McMaster, R

SD - Dennis Daugaard, R

TN - Zach Wamp, R

TX - Kay Bailey Hutchison, R

UT - Gary Herbert, R

VT - Doug Racine, D

VA - Bill Bolling, R

WA - Rob McKenna, R

WV - Shelley Moore Capito, R

WI - Tom Barrett, D

WY - Colin Simpson, R

I'm working on my projected Senators too, if you would like to add more endorsers

With more information available, I've redone my list feel free to use the following suggestions:

AL - Bradley Byrne, R

AK - Sean Parnell, R

AZ - Terry Goddard, D

AR - Dustin McDaniel, D

CA - Gavin Newsom, D

CO - John Suthers, R

CT - Richard Blumenthal, D

DE - Jack Markell, D

FL - Bill McCollum, R

GA - Roy Barnes, D

HI - Neil Abercrombie, D

ID - Lawrence Wasden, R

IL - Pat Quinn, D

IN - Todd Rokita, R

IA - Mike Mauro, D

KS - Sam Brownback, R

KY - Richie Farmer, R

LA - Bobby Jindal, R

ME - Libby Mitchell, D

MD - Anthony Brown, D

MA - Bill Galvin, D

MI - Mike Cox, R

MN - R.T. Rybak, D

MS - Phil Bryant, R

MO - Jay Nixon, D

MT - Mike McGrath, D

NE - Jon Bruning, R

NV- Ross Miller, D

NH - John Lynch, D

NJ - Rob Andrews, D

NM - Diane Denish, D

NY - Andrew Cuomo, D

NC - Pat McCrory, R

ND - Wayne Stenehjem, R

OH - Richard Cordray, D

OK - Mary Fallin, R

SC - Henry McMaster, R

SD - Dennis Daugaard, R

TN - Zach Wamp, R

TX - Kay Bailey Hutchison, R

UT - Gary Herbert, R

VT - Doug Racine, D

VA - Bill Bolling, R

WA - Rob McKenna, R

WV - Shelley Moore Capito, R

WI - Tom Barrett, D

WY - Colin Simpson, R

I'm working on my projected Senators too, if you would like to add more endorsers

Thanks, this is very helpful! And yes, I would like to see your projected Senators as well, please.

• Upvote 1

Alabama - Richard Shelby R, Jeff Sessions R

Alaska - Lisa Murkowski R, Mark Begich D

Arizona - Jon Kyl R, Gabrielle Giffords D

Arkansas - Gilbert Baker R, Mark Pryor D

California - Barbara Boxer D, John Garamendi D

Colorado - Mark Udall D, Jane Norton R

Connecticut - Chris Murphy D, Chris Dodd D

Delaware - Chris Coons D, Beau Biden D

Florida - Charlie Crist R, Connie Mack R

Georgia - Johnny Isakson R, Saxby Chambliss R

Hawaii - Mazie Hirono D, Colleen Hanabusa D

Idaho - Mike Crapo R, Jim Risch R

Illinois - Dick Durbin D, Alexi Giannoulias D

Indiana - Evan Bayh D, Mitch Daniels R

Iowa - Chuck Grassley R, Tom Harkin D

Kansas - Todd Tiahrt R, Jerry Moran R

Kentucky - Geoff Davis R, Trey Grayson R

Louisiana - David Vitter R, Charles Boustany R

Maine - Susan Collins R, Chellie Pingree D

Maryland - Ben Cardin D, Barbara Mikulski D

Massachsuetts- John Kerry D, Martha Coakley D

Michigan - Debbie Stabenow D, Candice Miller R

Minnesota - Amy Klobuchar D, Erik Paulsen R

Mississippi - Thad Cochran R, Roger Wicker R

Missouri - Sam Graves R, Robin Carnahan D

Montana - Denny Rehberg R, Jon Tester D

Nebraska - Mike Johanns R, Lee Terry R

Nevada - Sue Lowden R, John Ensign R

New Hampshire - Jeanne Shaheen D, Paul Hodes D

New Mexico - Tom Udall D, Heather Wilson R

New York - Chuck Schumer D, Kirsten Gillibrand D

North Carolina - Richard Burr R, Walter Jones R

North Dakota - Byron Dorgan D, Kent Conrad D

Ohio - Sherrod Brown D, Lee Fisher D

Oklahoma - Tom Coburn R, Frank Lucas R

Oregon - Ron Wyden D, Jeff Merkley D

Pennsylvania - Joe Sestak D, Bob Casey D

Rhode Island - Sheldon Whitehouse D, Jack Reed D

South Carolina - Jim DeMint R, Lindsay Graham R

South Dakota - John Thune R, Chris Nelson R

Tennessee - Bob Corker R, Lamar Alexander R

Texas - John Cornyn R, David Dewhurst R

Utah - Jason Chaffetz R, Bob Bennett R

Vermont - Pat Leahy D, Bernie Sanders I

Virginia - Jim Webb D, Mark Warner D

Washington - Patty Murray D, Maria Cantwell D

West Virginia - Jay Rockefeller D, Shelley Moore Capito R

Wisconsin - Russ Feingold D, Paul Ryan R

Wyoming - John Barasso R, Mike Enzi R

I also realized that I made Shelley Moore Capito the Governor and Senator from WV so replace her with Nick Rahall, D as Governor.

What is your explanation for Paulsen being Senator over Franken? He'll be 64 during the next election and he has approvals of 45% with 41% disapproving.

I don't see how either of those facts supports your contention that Franken will be Senator in 2014. Moreover, the latest poll (Rasmussen) shows Franken with an approval rating of 41/54, not 45/41. If his stats are anywhere near that in 2014, he's vulnerable.

Johnny08, you forgot the Governor for Rhode Island and the Senators for New Jersey! Those are my home states! (There may be others not on the lists, but those ones I noticed...) Also, I think Cory Booker might be Governor of NJ down the road.

Also, that "negative momentum" thing, where you spend and spend and it just drives your momentum down? I've encountered that myself, when I was making a global scenario. It seems that if the populations get too big, the momentums flip, but only for the national calculations. It's weird.