270soft Forum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Yes, Universal Healthcare and higher taxes have been passed, largely with help of a larger Democratic majority in Congress. -The Iraq War is over, and the troops are home. With substantial evidence

Pretty much, yes. They're trying to promote the image of 'restoring' America back to it's glory days, when the economy was strong, the cities were more liveable, a lot more manufactured goods globally

Just did that. He looks pretty presidential. Now, I've got my GOP candidates figured out, most of the rest of the listed GOP suggestions above will likely go to the Veep list. -Sarah Palin (incumban

There may be some reshuffling of candidates in the next draft. Rell may be replaced, but not sure by whom, and Chelsea may also be replaced by her mother. Also, the 2012 election may not have been as close as the current background indicates, given the likely way things may unfold (Romney is quite probable to do a little worse than McCain). Also, I will adjust the former/sitting president endorsers as suggested by Kauai. The DNC and RNC endorsers will be GE only. Rallies will be removed. State populations will be updated. Events will be come up with (any suggestions are very welcome). The Ohio Plan will be instituted for GOP primaries. As for Puerto Rico, I don't know. I'm not confident in my ability to add it to the existing map, though it is a neat idea.

• Upvote 1
There may be some reshuffling of candidates in the next draft. Rell may be replaced, but not sure by whom, and Chelsea may also be replaced by her mother. Also, the 2012 election may not have been as close as the current background indicates, given the likely way things may unfold (Romney is quite probable to do a little worse than McCain). Also, I will adjust the former/sitting president endorsers as suggested by Kauai. The DNC and RNC endorsers will be GE only. Rallies will be removed. State populations will be updated. Events will be come up with (any suggestions are very welcome). The Ohio Plan will be instituted for GOP primaries. As for Puerto Rico, I don't know. I'm not confident in my ability to add it to the existing map, though it is a neat idea.

hmm replace her with either john ensign from NV or like i have said tons of times, michael steele.

thank you for removing the rallies.

Also add biden as an off candidate but make him somewhat strong

Will do.

Here's a quick question. Why do all four Libertarian primary candidates often make it into the GE if you play from primaries straight through to the GE? Does anyone know how this could happen?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Was that a joke?

Yes, but Blago might differ:

1. Blagojevich actually continued to think he could run for president in 2016. The second-to-last paragraph of the criminal complaint says that Blagojevich spent "significant time" in November considering appointing himself to the Senate seat Barack Obama has vacated, for reasons including "a desire to remake his image in consideration of a possible run for President in 2016."
--From 5 shocking revelations from the criminal complaint against Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (Chicago Tribune)
  • 1 month later...

Okay, this scenario has been worked on (moreso picked at) during the last little while. It's getting close to completion. I've done the following:

-Updated the state EV's as predicted after the 2010 census.

-Replaced E. Jodi Rell with Michael Steele.

-Replaced Chelsea Clinton with her mother.

-Adjusted bonuses for many endorsers.

Things that need to be done:

-GE bonuses (and penalties) for all candidates.

-Adding Joe Biden as an off-by-default candidate.

-Events (I need imagination and creative suggestions here).

-Instituting the Ohio Plan for the GOP primary dates (does anyone have a list of exactly which states will fall in which of the three groups, which will be on which days of those groups' chosen month, and which will be primaries or caucuses).

I have also started, but am still in the initial phases of development, a 2012 'prelude' scenario to this one, as none of the ones out quite cover the backstory I have in mind. More on that later.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty excited about this scenario, so thanks for working on it. I'm even more intrigued by your scenario because I think we have similar ideas on how the next 8 years might end up looking.

I don't have too many ideas on "Events" yet (I'll try and think of some), but I've always found "Events" that reported the President's approval rating to be helpful, for the purpose of understanding the political environment at the time you are playing. This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's pretty helpful to include a few "Events" that report the President's approval.

For example, after some big scandal, or some large positive event, an event could come out the next week that reports on the President's approval rating. I'm thinking of Obama as having fairly decent approval ratings, on the scale of Clinton/Regan, in his final 1-2 years in office (in the range of 50-65%). So after some huge scandal, an event could pop up that says "Obama Approval rating drops to 50%, Voter Disapproval Rises." And after some positive event, an event would come out in the next few days that says "Obama approval tops 55% as Troop Numbers Drop in Afhanistan," or "Unemployment Rates hit 7-year Low, Obama Approval Over 60%." And naturally, such stories would follow with a corresponding rise or fall in the polls for the Democratic and Republican candidates (a rise for Dems when Obama approval above 55%, and thus a fall for Reps, and a fall for Dems when Obama approval is at 55% or below, thus a rise for the Reps).

Anyway, I just figured more approval rating updates could provide more perspective on the state of the race. I'll try and think of some other ideas.

Okay, this scenario has been worked on (moreso picked at) during the last little while. It's getting close to completion. I've done the following:

-Updated the state EV's as predicted after the 2010 census.

-Replaced E. Jodi Rell with Michael Steele.

-Replaced Chelsea Clinton with her mother.

-Adjusted bonuses for many endorsers.

Things that need to be done:

-GE bonuses (and penalties) for all candidates.

-Adding Joe Biden as an off-by-default candidate.

-Events (I need imagination and creative suggestions here).

-Instituting the Ohio Plan for the GOP primary dates (does anyone have a list of exactly which states will fall in which of the three groups, which will be on which days of those groups' chosen month, and which will be primaries or caucuses).

I have also started, but am still in the initial phases of development, a 2012 'prelude' scenario to this one, as none of the ones out quite cover the backstory I have in mind. More on that later.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a difficult time finding a solid reference to EXACTLY which states are in each of the three 'blocs' of the Ohio Plan. Can someone direct me to a good source?

As well, where could I find a reasonable estimate as to the approximate population of each state in 2016?

• Upvote 1
Here's a link to a website I found which estimates the state census as far out as 2025 (including a 2015 state-by-state census estimate): http://www.census.gov/population/projectio...ate/stpjpop.txt

Still looking for the "Ohio plan" information you asked for.

That population estimate is certainly helpful. Strangely, I too can't find accurate and specific information on the 'Ohio Plan.' I'm going to try the RNC official website. If that doesn't bear fruit, I'm going to (God forbid) estimate.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick thing on beta (just getting around to playing it) is that on issue positions, Evan Bayh was put as a left wing candidate when in reality he is much more conservative than most Democrats, especially on fiscal issues. And on the GOP side, Jodi Rell was fairly center-right when in reality she is quite a liberal for the Republican mainsteam on social issues and fairly moderate on economic issues.

In my next version, I'll adjust Bayh a bit more to the right. As for Rell, she's been replaced in the version on my PC by Michael Steele, though I still have to adjust his percentages, as he wouldn't be as successful initially as I had made Rell; he'll probably lose ground to Palin and Jindal in the states he was leading in due to Rell's numbers. This is still very much a work in progress. Thanks for the input and interest, though. :)

• Upvote 1

Other than going in and adjusting some of the issue positions (Bayh, Warner to the right, Rell to the left and a few other things like Palin being an environmentalist) in the candidate editor, this is actually one of the better scenarios I have played from here. Steele would be a good candidate, because I'd think he would probably run, though I guess his success would depend on how rocky his Chairmanship is. Also, I think that Kathleen Sebelius would possibly be a strong underdog if she ran despite her age (she'd be about 67-68 if I'm not mistaken).

I've also read a few articles saying that Rahm Emanuel might leave the Chief of Staff spot after the first term to re-take a seat in the House if Nancy Pelosi seems close to retiring, because a lot of people thought that he would be next-in-line for Speaker after Pelosi because of Hoyer's and Clyburn's age. I don't know what the point of that is, but could be interestng to think about.

• 3 months later...

Here's a touch-up of my seculative United States 2016 scenario. I left out events for now, as I drew a blank on that; I may fill it in later. Feel free to download and enjoy! I also plan a United States 2012 prequel and United States 2020 sequel (the latter to use the map with Puerto Rico I recently requested). These are in addition to my other P4E+P projects; namely, a touch-up of United States 1996, a release of United States 1848 after TheorySpark tech support finds the elusive 'September 3rd error,' a finishing of United States 1860 after heat234 is done with most of the candidates, and the Washington Gubernatorial 2008 and Georgia Gubernatorial 2010 scenarios.

Download here:

http://drop.io/mpkltib#

• Upvote 1

Add Mark Warner and Kristin GIllibrand to the democrats.

I'm quite sure I have Warner. In fact, he's one of the frontrunners. As for Gillibrand, that's a definate possibility.

• Upvote 2

Hillary's Experience is listed as 3?! I would've thought four at least, by that point arguably even a 5... Also, I would say that it's actually the right-wingers who favor censorship of things like obscenity, but the liberals who favor strict regulation of commercial speech. Furthermore, scrolling through the major-party candidates, I only noticed one particularly liberal Democrat (Rahm) and I think zero Republicans who were fully "Right" for both weighted and non-weighted averages. I would expect both parties, but particularly the Republicans, to have a little more representation of their ideological extremes. I'm also not sure I noticed any of the Republicans representing genuine moderation or a real change in direction for the party.

Note: I just downloaded this scenario, started it up, and poked around for the first time. I apologize if any of the stuff I just said has been said before on this thread.

• Upvote 1