270soft Forum

top dog 2008

hillary u cannot forget florida is still in the deep south and still very hard for any democrat whom is not from the south to win

True, and misleading.

Florida IS a Southern state. However:

- Big black population

- Big tourism industry population (Much more than, say, Idaho)

- High urban population relative to other parts of the South

For those reasons and a few others, it's not quite as "Democrat-Proof" as it might look based on geography alone. However, there are a number of off-setting things:

- Lower jewish population (Jews are, at present, quite possibly third only to Gays and Union members in their likeliness to vote Democrat)

- High cuban immigrant population (which means a higher Christian religious population)

Both of these tug it to the right a bit.

The best way to think of it, IMO, is like an inverted version of New York State. Even though it LOOKS Republican, there's certainly a Democrat machine there... It's just not seen that often.

well, as a native born life-long resident of the Land of Flowers....

Florida was solid Democrat all the way until Nixon/Reagan began making headway with conservative Democratic voters. "Blue Dog" Dems started voting republican, starting w/ Goldwater, then reaching a cresendo w/ Reagan. Many rural Floridians are still Democrats, but their politcal leaning is totally Republican.

Florida is a tough state to campaign in, cuz it is, in every way, a breakdown of the whole USA in one state:

the Panhandle (Pensacola to Lake City - excepting Tallahassee, where people have college degrees and vote Democrat) - totally Deep South, huntin' fishin' Jesus lovin' ku kluxin' good ole boy USA - solid Red

the Big Bend (rural counties that frame the bend of the panhandle into the penisula) - see above

the First Coast (Jacksonville south to Daytona) military, urban, golf courses, more native than tourist, jesus lovin' however with a large afro-american population. tends republican, but I think that is cuz the Dems haven't tried too hard in the region. could go either way 55-45 Republican

north central (south of Jax to Ocala): similar to the Big Bend but with a much larger immigrant retiree yankee scum population and the U of F in Gainsville. Citrus groves - 53 - 47 Red

central (1-4 corridor, Orlando to cape canaveral area): totally swing area. largelly suburban, could be Ohio, PA, anywhere like that. White bread america - 50-50

Tampa/St. Pete/Lakeland region: more native urban than transplants but the transplants outnumber the natives. military, old school (pre-batista) Cuban population - tends Democrat 45-55 Blue

west gulf coast: growing by leaps and bound. Nevada in the SE - key swing area - 50-50

SE Atlantic coast (Melbourne all the way to Kew West): urban, immagrant, retirees , NYC south - solid blue 60-40

and as for the scenario it's great hrc did a great job of getting the stats for each candidate as realistic as possible i only have 2 minor problems

1) ventura is a 4 in expierence and all he has done politically is 1 term as governor

2) the money is was too high i just put it back at 70 mil but i suggest u check that in any future update

hey hrc, i just noticed in our update that you managed to fit the entire word "schwarzenegger" for arnold

how did you do that?

by the way, u forgot to include lincoln chafee and mark warner in the scenario

Go to the text file in the candidates folder and change it in there. You can also extend their bios a little bit. ;)

and as for the scenario it's great hrc did a great job of getting the stats for each candidate as realistic as possible i only have 2 minor problems

1) ventura is a 4 in expierence and all he has done politically is 1 term as governor

2) the money is was too high i just put it back at 70 mil but i suggest u check that in any future update

Thanks Vegeta. I did try to be as accurate as possible. I will change your comments if I make another update. :)