270soft Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, still a good outcome. Technically, if it were a college level debate, Obama would probably lose. He would win in speaker points (persuasivness, delivery,) but he would lose the arguments. Huntsm

Obama because I was barnstorming like crazy.

2008 election scenario I was Al Gore. I started in the primaries and won. I faced George Allen. This was on hard mode 2008 election Results: Al Gore 538 Electoral Votes 67% of the Popular Vote Geo

Posted Images

Obama-BidenvsRomney-Pataki2012.jpg

Obama/Biden v. Romney/Pataki, 2012.

I didn't get any Republicans to endorse me or exploit any other glitches.

HowardDean-ColinPowellvsGeorgeWBush.jpg

Here, I ran as Dean in the primaries.

I set Colin Powell to "on", won the primaries as Dean, and gave Powell all my PIPs in exchange for the VP spot. After that, it was over.

Played as Romney. After easily winning the primary (I DESTROYED Guiliani, and then my only notable opponent was McCain, so I made him my VP).

Anyways after a long and hard election (few scandals on me, but I had trouble making progress in tied areas, much less blue areas).

Then...in a shocking moment...election night came and I actually won some states that were told to me to be "Obama Country" (?).

Good news: I got over half the popular vote.

Bad news: No recount (in New Mexico which of all places was really the deciding state), so I lost the electoral college.

RomneyLoss.jpg

A sad loss for the Republicans, an ironic win for the Democrats.

I gotta say, as a liberal Democrat, this was extremely gratifying:

Picture2-1.png?t=1254038598

The closest state (Alaska) went for Kennedy 61-39. This was on hard with no getting other party candidates to be my VP or endorse me. Had a pretty tough primary with Carter to boot.

I imagine that he got UHC passed with those coattails.

How on earth did you win the primary against Carter? Every time I try it, Kennedy gets destroyed.

I've won as Kennedy. The trick is to anticipate that the scandals and the negative momentum are coming, and prepare ads to cushion the blow and make sure to have an aggressive footsoldiering machine in all the states right after it comes up.

I took your advice. I also made it my goal to win one of the early states as Kennedy, to build up some momentum. I also dug up Experience scandals on Carter every chance I could get.

I finally won against Carter, after going through many saved games. It's really tough.

Kennedywinsprimary1980.jpg

I managed to narrowly win Iowa, and from there Kennedy's momentum snowballed. I even won in Georgia.

After beating Carter with Ted Kennedy, I faced off against George Bush. For running mates, he picked Richard Lugar, I picked Jerry Brown.

The polls were all over the place. I'd be up by 5 one week, he'd be up by 7 the next week, we'd be neck and neck the week after that, etc. The number of undecideds fluctuated tremendously, up from the 20s down to about 10, then back up to about 20.

I just kept playing, and on Election Night, I handily defeated Bush. The only place where I did worse than Carter did in 1980 was in West Virginia - Carter won it, I narrowly lost it.

TedKennedywins1980.jpg

Played through the end again, and did even better, although for some reason the game still scores my campaign as "disastrous" even though I upset Carter in the primaries and mopped the floor with Bush.

TedKennedybest1980.jpg

I've won as Kennedy. The trick is to anticipate that the scandals and the negative momentum are coming, and prepare ads to cushion the blow and make sure to have an aggressive footsoldiering machine in all the states right after it comes up.

Yeah, pretty much this. As I said, I actually lost NH and MA (!) in the primaries. But I was able to turn it around and eek out a win by cushioning the Tehran hostages blow and spending heavily in all states that hadn't come up yet.

1976: Bayh/Kennedy VS Ford/Reagan.

BAYH: 539 electoral votes

67.8%- 67,316,933 votes

Ford:0 electoral votes

29.8%- 29,636,836 votes

McCarthy: 0 electoral votes

2.4%- 2,381,380

three largest blowouts:

Montana: 84.1

Alabama: 83.4

Kansas: 82.5

80% or larger:

Washington state

New Mexico

Oklahoma

Arkansas

North Carolina

Kentucky

CLOSEST STATES:

PENNSLVANIA: Dem +8

North Carolina: Dem +10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Tory Scotland! Don't panic, this is from the very first version of the Scottish election scenario "Scotland - 2005", which I have still held onto. The game was for the British version, and after almost constant leaflet ads for us, and attacking the SNP and Labour (later having to attack Lib Dems to defend my whitewash!) and another being a TV ad, getting endorsed by most of the newspapers, this was the result. Not forgetting much barnstorming and attacking policy speeches. 74 seats and 29%, so I've pretty much done the double, with a Labour whitewash too. You can probably do the same for SNP and Lib Dem too.

scottory.jpg

Election '97 with the Conservatives

Playing as Major's Conservatives here, is really about weathering the storm of Blair's Labour, and losing with grace! It was a triumph in itself to get over 200 seats, that's 42 more seats held than the actual election. Although the South West is blue, I had equal 20 seats with the Lib Dems, but higher in percentage. The seats in the South East saw a sudden burst on the election night of over 10 more seats, winning 74 seats there in total. I was miles off the track in the West Midlands, but only 5 seats off winning the East Midlands. I also targeted the North West and Yorkshire with ads and 1 or 2 journey's there, but it did pay off as my seats steadily increased in Yorkshire and Humber, up to 18. However the North West reacted very poorly with only seats i single figures.

elec97conmaj.jpg

1960.jpg

I don't remember this one too much other than that I had to use all my Political points to secure the nomination and get Kennedy to accept my offer of the VP spot. After that I easily kept Nixon in the mid to low 40's polling wise and rode in for the win.

1976-CarterFinal.jpg

After I had taken the primaries state by state in order of primary date, Ford had taken the lead nationally. An aggressive foot soldiering campaign, along with highly successful pro Carter - Watergate ads, gave me back a solid lead in the liberal and southern states. By declining the federal funding, I secured my finances to not run out and was able to run TV ads in every state in my strategy. Between that, having the max foot soldiers in all my strategy states, a few lucky debate breaks, a non-aggression pact with Ford, and the perfect timing of the big Mo', I was able to squeak by a win. Oklahoma, Washington state, Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, and New Mexico became the battleground states in the final weeks with me barely taking Washington. I took Adlai Stevenson III as my Veep

• 2 weeks later...

Fun with the Wonk Scenario.

My Barack Obama/Hilary Clinton ticket, Hard no cheats got kind of stupid.

It's May 12th 2008 and I have 87.3% of the Vote, Giuliani has 12.5% of the Vote and 0.2% is undecided.

That's a whole lot of months for basically nothing to happen.

I have a lock on every state in the general, and the primaries aren't even finished yet (although both winners are known).

Played it again, Wonk on Hard no cheats and no exploits and got a 530 to 8 Electoral College win for my ticket of Obama/Clinton against Guliani/Romney with 64.9% of the vote.

Utah and Wyoming are really tough to take as a Democrat, I might try again I think I made quite a few mistakes with money early and could have done better.

I've got screenshots but need to setup a photobucket or whatever account.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Campaigns Forever, and twice I lost as the Republicans in 2010. My third try, I went as the NRCC again, and here's what happened.

The game, as anyone who's played it knows, begins at 218-215, with 2 seats undecided. I watchlisted and targeted the -1s, +1s and +-0s over several turn, researched, and made ads. But I fell in the polls, even as Sarah Palin made the rounds. A scandal barrage hit me, and it fell to +10 DEM. Then I lucked on a very large scandal in a hotly contested district (being NY-1), vaporizing any hopes of a Dem win there. I decided to become diligent, flipping North Dakota to my side and most of Mississippi.

Then, about 28 turns from the election, the bar reads REP +2. I was ahead! I rejoiced, and my pride caused me to stop seeing my momentum hit the floor. Pretty soon it was Monday. DEM +6. So I was back to the old principles, and slowly, I gnawed at their lead. It was hard to flip districts, and by mid-October, 11 districts were tied, and the fate of the 112th was anybody's guess. And then, I remember it was October 25th, the thing said REP +2, but that was just because of all the ties. Looking at the bar, it said I had 216 seats in my lead! I remembered what had happened last time I was in the lead, so I worked hard in those last few days. On the last poll, November 1st, I was listed as having 218 seats in my lead. The next day flew by, and election night came along.

Just before midnight, one district in Washington started flipping quick as a gunshot, which, interestingly drove us both around 218-217. Here is what happened on election night:

1zyyotf.png

The only suggestion I have for the game is a primary segment, where you have to try to "nudge" voters towards the stronger candidate, but if you don't do it discreetly, the weaker candidate will surge and surge. I am about to play 2008.

I'm really beginning to think that the AI in v. 1.5.5 of PM4E - 2010 - British needs to be made quite a bit harder and that ads either need to become more expensive or that fundraising numbers need to be brought way down.

I set up UK - 2005 (unmodified, official scenario) as Blair/Labour on Hard mode and instantly created 3 Billboard ads, one on Blair - Experience, one attacking Kennedy/LibDem - Experience, and another attacking Howard/Tories on "Troops in Iraq." I spent 250k on creating a 5-day national ad highlighting Blair's position on Troops in Iraq. I basically kept to my theme settings the whole campaign. I would run the ads for 7 days and then create another national ad highlighting Blair - Leadership. 2 positive ad campaigns, 2 negative ads. I relied on Crusaders to do my campaigning and spent my CPs either fundraising or earlier, securing endorsements, such as from The Sun on the 2nd day of the election. Nothing too elaborate or complex, but check these results:

view.php?pic=s2v72x&s=5

602 seats for Labour and 56% of the vote. The Tories were limited to seats in London and were wiped out in the rest of the UK. LibDems got 2 in London and 1 in Scotland. For those who are wondering, this was the outlook just prior to polling day:

Also, FWIW and to prove my earlier point about AI on Hard being way too soft, the other day I got 501 seats playing Dave on UK - 2010. Anyhow, a high score of 202.

I'm really beginning to think that the AI in v. 1.5.5 of PM4E - 2010 - British needs to be made quite a bit harder and that ads either need to become more expensive or that fundraising numbers need to be brought way down.

I set up UK - 2005 (unmodified, official scenario) as Blair/Labour on Hard mode and instantly created 3 Billboard ads, one on Blair - Experience, one attacking Kennedy/LibDem - Experience, and another attacking Howard/Tories on "Troops in Iraq." I spent 250k on creating a 5-day national ad highlighting Blair's position on Troops in Iraq. I basically kept to my theme settings the whole campaign. I would run the ads for 7 days and then create another national ad highlighting Blair - Leadership. 2 positive ad campaigns, 2 negative ads. I relied on Crusaders to do my campaigning and spent my CPs either fundraising or earlier, securing endorsements, such as from The Sun on the 2nd day of the election. Nothing too elaborate or complex, but check these results:

view.php?pic=s2v72x&s=5

602 seats for Labour and 56% of the vote. The Tories were limited to seats in London and were wiped out in the rest of the UK. LibDems got 2 in London and 1 in Scotland. For those who are wondering, this was the outlook just prior to polling day:

Also, FWIW and to prove my earlier point about AI on Hard being way too soft, the other day I got 501 seats playing Dave on UK - 2010. Anyhow, a high score of 202.

Noticed this too. The 2005 scenario played well in it's original form. The billboards mess it up. Will look into this.

I made a scenario. It's about a fictional little town in northeast North Carolina. Though it has existed for decades, it was only recognized as a town with its own government in 1968. Before 2007, it was a quiet town, with plenty of open space, a bustling market, and about 60,000 people. The Republican party has had control of the "municipal council" of 239 seats more or less since 1980, and in the 2005 elections earned 148 seats.

However, in 2007, everything changed when an 8th-grade boy won an international math contest, and the town's leadership touted the town's education system all over the place. Big mistake.

Suddenly immigrants were flooding in. Land in Grimfast was worth it's owners weight in gold. With these newcomers came new beliefs- namely, liberal beliefs.

2009 rolled around, and the town's Democratic party rejoiced. After 30 years of oppression, it appeared that they could win control of the Municipal Council. Similar to a parliamentary system, whichever party controls the most seats in the municipal council, their leader becomes mayor. I played as the republican, George Habronsky. My opposition was Andrew Brinkerhoff of the Democratic Party and Michael Quorese of the Student's Rights party.

At the start of the campaign, no party had a clear majority, as the two largest areas, Downtown and Uptown, were both tied. I created lots of ads and scandals and jumped right in, monitoring my momentum, which soared to Big 'Mo in just 2 weeks and never came back down.

I secured a ton of interviews and endorsements, and by October 20th, my momentum was +20. I was unstoppable.

The election was on November 2, here was the results:

mr5kep.png

The largest majority in Grimfast history, the opposition totally obliterated, almost 3/4 of votes.

This would work great on PM4E, which I have, unfortunately I have no Idea how to create a scenario.

I was stomping out bugs in my NJ 1997 scenario by spacebarring as Pezzullo. I was happy that election night worked, and not really paying attention, unti I turned around and saw this:

NJ971.png

Talk about a swing toward the 3rd party! National results (not selecting PC):

realnjresults.png

What happened was that both major parties had massive negative momentum, in a "parting the red sea" effect, where Sabrin came and took all the undecideds (at the end of the campaign he had about +14 momentum.)