270soft Forum

2012-After McCain

Information:

After four years in office John McCain is retiring. He has helped the economy, the national average for a price of gas is $2.99, and we have almost captured Osama Bin Laden. We are still in all the wars as we were in 2008, we have seen what we believe is Osama Bin Laden numerous times, and we have stopped illegal immigration. Gays can still not marry and abortion is still illegal. McCain has an approval of 51%, but he is too old to run again. Now, who will replace the president?

Democrats:

Joe Biden (1st - T)

Hillary Clinton (1st - T)

Mark Warner (2nd)

Barack Obama (3rd - T)

Evan Bayh (3rd - T)

Wesley Clark (4th)

Republicans:

Sarah Palin (1st)

Tim Pawlenty (2nd)

Mike Huckabee (3rd)

Mitt Romney (off)

Candidates, endorsers, any help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is unlikely then abortion is legal, but I didnt know it would be unlikely.

He would have to appoint another Supreme Court justice, one that would have to be confirmed by a Democratic Senate. There is simply no way that McCain could get 40 votes to overturn Roe v. Wade, and even if he did manage to get a pro-lifer on the bench, it would take many years for a relevant case to reach the court.

Besides, 60% of Americans are pro-choice, and as loud as the Right To Lifers may scream, the Silent Majority will exert its influence.

Suggestions:

• Add Bobby Jindal and make him either T-1 or 2nd
  • Add Constitution Party
  • Add America's Indpendant Party which has already taken away about 1/3 of Constution Party supporters and will run again in 2012
  • Add Green Party as they will most likely begin gaining support from those against drilling in America
  • Add Meg Whitman ® - Ex-eBay CEO and say she won the 2010 California Governorship which she is running for in real life.
  • Add Ron Paul he will most likely run again given his grassroots support
  • Add Charlie Crist ®
  • Add House Minority Leader John Boehner ® who will be a leading tradtional conservative by 2012.
  • Add Nancy Pelosi (D)
  • Add Joe Biden (D)
  • Add Evan Bayh (D)
  • Add Ben Nelson (D) a prominant member of the Blue Dog coalition

I hoped this helped a little, just my suggestions :D

Here's one suggestion: look at several of the current Democratic governors as potential candidates.

Among Republican possibles:

• Has Romney ruled out another run? If not, why is he off?
  • Would Huckabee make another run?
  • Would Sam Brownback? (He's set to leave the Senate in 2010.)

Also, check the ages on a lot of the people mentioned. Some might not run for that reason alone. (Ron Paul, for example, is slightly older than McCain.)

Also it gets kind of boring when we keep having the same candidates. Look for people who could make a run, but aren't so common in scenarios like Hillary and Obama and such, I could suggest a few? I think you could still add these candidates, but turn them off.

Also. Perhaps we should come up with some scripted events to add some fun to it? I can also suggest these if you would like.

Roe is ALOT more likely to fall then you all think. I think Mccain only needs one nominee and all the old justices are liberals. Many analystys say Roe will fall in Mccins first 4 years. P9 make Roe fall but make the current abortion status up to the states.

We have had a Republican congress since 1994 and a Republican President since 2000. And yet Roe still has not fallen. :huh:

I also doubt a guy named VoteGOP is the most neutral of sources. Perhaps provide some other sources?

The Republicans do not have congress right now

I said since 1994, hence the Republican takeover of congress, I did not imply they did right now, I implied for six years they controlled every branch of government and did not manage to overturn Roe VS. Wade.

I said since 1994, hence the Republican takeover of congress, I did not imply they did right now, I implied for six years they controlled every branch of government and did not manage to overturn Roe VS. Wade.

They can't kill supreme court justices. They never had a 60%majority for an amendment so...

oo eee ooo ahh ahh bing bang walla walla bing bang.

There is no way to overturn RvW without abrogating in total the concept of privacy. A conservative-appointed court (by majority) came up with RvW to begin with, and even Scalia of all people has said that there is no basis for overturning it. If McCain tried to nominate such rabidly anti-abortion justices as proposed, the congress would not approve them; we still have a democratic majority and not all GOP'ers would be that venal.

At worst--that RvW would somehow be overturned--all that would be accomplished is that the decision goes back to the state. Do people really think that CA, NY, MA, and a few others would make abortion illegal again? Many of those states have laws put into place to make sure abortion stays legal if Roe VS. Wade were ever overturned.

The US supreme court has only overturned its own rulings TWICE. 2 times. I doubt that it will be overruled.

Roe has survived Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush(41) and I anticipate it will survive Bush number 3.

The gang of 14 has nothing to do with this.

It's from Topix, that's the reply of someone on the site which I agree with.

They can appoint judges, - they had to appoint quite a few of them, and under Bush 2 he even had a Republican controlled congress.

Basically, even if Roe Vs. Wade is overturned, which I still do not believe it will, the only thing that would change is Woman who want an abortion have to travel a few hours more.

The gang of 14 has nothing to do with this.

It's from Topix, that's the reply of someone on the site which I agree with.

They can appoint judges, - they had to appoint quite a few of them, and under Bush 2 he even had a Republican controlled congress.

Basically, even if Roe Vs. Wade is overturned, which I still do not believe it will, the only thing that would change is Woman who want an abortion have to travel a few hours more.

So a forum freak you like is a better source then a senior legal analysist?

They still haven't had the chance to appoint enough. Nixon Ford and Bush 1 were all moderate on Abortion and probably didn't factor in pro lifeness in their decicions. Plus we had slick willie and screw up the country carter in betwee.

Remember a majoirty of women who get abortions probably don't have the funds to travel for an abortion. And states may pass laws prohibiting travel to get an abortion.

So a forum freak you like is a better source then a senior legal analysist?

They still haven't had the chance to appoint enough. Nixon Ford and Bush 1 were all moderate on Abortion and probably didn't factor in pro lifeness in their decicions. Plus we had slick willie and screw up the country carter in betwee.

Remember a majoirty of women who get abortions probably don't have the funds to travel for an abortion. And states may pass laws prohibiting travel to get an abortion.

Yeah that'd be great so instead they can use a clothes hanger and just do it themselves.

FACT: Roe will NEVER be overturned.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

" Sargent, we got a renegade mother crossing the border who we think is set to get an abortion, shall we go into hot pursuit? "

" Sargent, she got the abortion! We have to make sure she does not get away with this, let's give her a baby! "

That was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen on abortion. Abortion is not like gay marriage idiot, no one has to recognize the fact that you had one.

Also, the fact that you attack the poster and not the content of the poster makes me believe you have no argument against it.

States can not abridge the right to travel, it's constitutionally protected, - your " ban to travel for an abortion " is hilarious.

Yeah that'd be great so instead they can use a clothes hanger and just do it themselves.

100% Agree.