270soft Forum

Beta Release

I've released the third in my series of alternate history scenarios. This one is Ford's successor.

After Gerald Ford narrowly beat Jimmy Carter in 1976, the Watergate scandle and corruption of the Nixon Presidency has faded in Americans minds. However, problems of inflation have come to haunt Fords last two years in office. Will voters want a change in 1980 with a Democratic President, or will Vice President Dole win the election like Republicans have for the last twelve years?

You can download it here. http://rapidshare.com/files/132500284/Unit...cessor.zip.html

I really like these scenes, keep it up.

Dole should be stronger though, also what's the reasoning behind Reagan? Dole is a firm Conservative, and so the Conservatives would not need Reagan, - plus he would be the parties standard bearer.

Dole should be stronger though, also what's the reasoning behind Reagan? Dole is a firm Conservative, and so the Conservatives would not need Reagan, - plus he would be the parties standard bearer.

They were very different kinds of conservatives for starters, and Reagan was always the preferred choice of Republicans from 1968 onwards. (In 1968 delegates were simply nervous about Reagan's chances of winning the general with Goldwater so fresh, in 1976 Reagan had a couple big screw-ups and Ford used the power of the Presidency to hammer him down.)

So I consider it a) completely plausible Reagan would challenge Dole in 1980, and B) completely plausible that Reagan would win—Dole was a particularly poor campaigner, and incumbent VP is not incumbent President.

I really like these scenes, keep it up.

Dole should be stronger though, also what's the reasoning behind Reagan?

1. To make the game more competitive.

2. In the game, it is clear that high inflation is the biggest issue in the election. High inflation under President Ford has crippled Vice President Dole's chances of winning, so Reagan could challenge him.

3. Republicans have held the White House for twelve years. Voters would want a change by then. Dole is a boring politician who is seen to represent the status quo. Reagan is an exciting charismatic Governor.

You need to take a serious look at the Events in this one. I'm guessing you didn't edit the ones that were in the existing scenario.

There are several events where the momentum affects Carter, despite the fact he's not the incumbent President in this scenario. There are a couple where the Democratic Party is affected when it would be the Republicans actually taking the credit or blame.

Then there's the Reagan "Are You Better Off ... ?" event, which would actually be hitting Ford instead of an incumbent Democrat.

Fix those things and you should have a fairly solid scenario.