270soft Forum

United States presidential election, 1984

I requested a re-download on this comp. So as per recent interest, I will revive my attempt at this from before. Anyone interested in joining and helping me with this? I doubt I have enough time to do it all on my own.

United States presidential election, 1984

All right. I just recently bought campaigns forever and I've been doing some research. So I've decided to start on a 1984 US election scenario. I'd like any help possible, - if scenario veterans could give me some tips or if someone could post some issues they think are relevant, that would also be great. Feel free to post about stats as well. Anyone whom helps I'll be sure to add a thanks to.

Republican Party nomination

President Ronald Reagen of California

Former Governor Harold Stassen of Minnesota

RNHA chairman Ben Fernandez of California

Of course I'd make it nearly impossible to beat Reagen considering the historical results.

Ronald Reagan (inc.) - 6,484,987 (98.78%)

Unpledged delegates - 55,458 (0.85%)

Harold Stassen - 12,749 (0.19%)

Democratic Party nomination

Reubin O'D. Askew, former Governor of Florida

Alan M. Cranston, U.S. senator from California

John H. Glenn Jr., U.S. senator from Ohio

Gary W. Hart, U.S. senator from Colorado

Ernest F. "Fritz" Hollings, U.S. senator from South Carolina

The Rev. Jesse L. Jackson of Illinois

George S. McGovern, former U.S. senator from South Dakota and Democratic presidential nominee in 1972

Walter F. Mondale, former U.S. vice president and former U.S. senator from Minnesota

Mondale, Hart & Jackson the most viable candidates.

I'll also be adding Senators as endorsers.

Are you going to incorperate Reagans Highly successful ads like "Bear in the Woods" and "Morning in america''? Maybe as events?

And a post debate event could use Reagans "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." as another booster.

And a post debate event could use Reagans "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." as another booster.

Perhaps make it a 50% chance or something… Reagan's performance in the second debate was just as poor as the widely discussed first debate—but of course the second debate had that famous soundbite.

I know this can't currently be incorperated but I think debate prep should effect the chance of it happening but not in the way you would think. I read in his autobiography that he didn't think he woud have delivered the statement if he had prepared more since he probably would have already had a pre set repsonse not as good as what he came up with on the spur of the moment.

This is where i really wish that the p4e+p engine was much more detailed! Since you can only have a default Democratic "baseline", you cannot have it so that certain candidates poll better than others in the general election. For instance, polls showed that Gary Hart was actually in a dead heat with Reagan until he decided to be an idiot. Though i doubt that he would win (especially due to Reagan's broad base of support in the electoral college), it would still be interesting to see. And what about Glenn? He probably could have won a couple of midwestern states due to his union appeal? Anyway, this does sound like a very good scenario all things considered and if you want i can help with candidates and endorsers.

I still remember, at 8 years old, watching the '84 Democratic primaries debate with Mondale, Hart, and Jackson, as my father was watching it. Though I had no idea at the time who those men were or what they stood for, and can't recall what they said exactly, I do have the image clearly in my head.

At many rate, who'll be the space-bar party?

This is where i really wish that the p4e+p engine was much more detailed! Since you can only have a default Democratic "baseline", you cannot have it so that certain candidates poll better than others in the general election. For instance, polls showed that Gary Hart was actually in a dead heat with Reagan until he decided to be an idiot. Though i doubt that he would win (especially due to Reagan's broad base of support in the electoral college), it would still be interesting to see. And what about Glenn? He probably could have won a couple of midwestern states due to his union appeal? Anyway, this does sound like a very good scenario all things considered and if you want i can help with candidates and endorsers.

The event engine can model broad shifts of support (i.e.: If Hart Exists 1 September, +1000 momentum), and the upcoming version of President Forever is supposed to have per-state regional bonuses for leaders so you can model Glenn's strength in the Midwest.