270soft Forum

Is anyone doing 1984?

Is anyone currently working on the '84 US presidential election? I'm pretty sure it and '64 are all that aren't made/in beta/being worked on that I know of of the 1960 to present chain of US presidential scenarios that someone (I think Electric Monk) envisioned and that I too would like to see. I've got my hands full with '96, so I'm not volunteering, just wondering if anyone has or will soon take up '84 (and '64 for that matter).

I hope to see that come into fruition when you get your computer back. But why stop at 1960? I think we should aim for elections going back to 1948. That's the earliest election where the game doesn't need major tweaking, given before that there's no television (impairing the ad system), no fast passenger air travel (impeding the built-in ability of candidates to travel from one state to any other state in one turn), and the further back before '48, the harder to come by primary percentages and party and primary polls are. Thess seem to have been major factors in why Abe_Lincoln abandoned his attempt at a 1860 scenario sometime ago (I read the thread) and possibly among reasons an 1912 one was also abandoned (both would have been very interesting if they were made to work).

I hope to see that come into fruition when you get your computer back. But why stop at 1960? I think we should aim for elections going back to 1948. That's the earliest election where the game doesn't need major tweaking,

Actually the game breaks in pre-1972 scenarios because it doesn't model conventions nor boss run caucus-convention states (the not modelling conventions is a problem in '76 and '80 as well).

That's why 1968 is such a hack, and why I dread the official TheorySpark 1960 scenario.