270soft Forum

1980 Beta Scenario

admin_270

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson has 0% in every state if you start him in the primaries. Is this intentional?

He only gained prominence as a Republican contender—if he had just decided to start a third party bid without running in the Republican primaries he would have gone nowhere.

Unfortunately the game cannot model a candidate choosing to drop out of their party's primaries and starting a third party bid (mostly because it is very rare).

EM,

That makes sense. The one thing I will say is that I wish the "other" candidates had at least one more crusader. I can't think of who they'd get, but I would expect that you'd get at least one other person beating the bushes for them. Moynihan and Bella Abzug would be reasonable for Carey; for Brown, some of the "nuts" that he started to attract would make sense (Jesse Jackson as a weak crusader, anyone?); as to Proxmire, I'm short on suggestions.

Another thing: why is the RNC a national endorser, but not the DNC?

Otherwise, this is a really nice scenario.

It may interest you to know that I have a new source stating that RNC had 77 million in 1980, and the DNC had 16 million.

However I'm not sure if putting that much extra money into the scenario would unbalance it—especially because both RNC & DNC were much more independent in 1980 than today.

EM,

That makes sense. The one thing I will say is that I wish the "other" candidates had at least one more crusader. I can't think of who they'd get, but I would expect that you'd get at least one other person beating the bushes for them. Moynihan and Bella Abzug would be reasonable for Carey; for Brown, some of the "nuts" that he started to attract would make sense (Jesse Jackson as a weak crusader, anyone?); as to Proxmire, I'm short on suggestions.

In 1980 Brown was pretty much at the leading edge of "New Democrats" (given that he accepted, and then championed Prop 13 limiting property tax in California)… but of course in 1980 kooks are more likely given his standing versus Carter & Kennedy.

I'd have to check to see if Moynihan would back Carey, but I could see Azbug.

As for Proximire… yeah, I have no idea.

I'm sure they would not give all the money they have to the person they endorse. Perhaps 7,000,000 for RNC plus all the other goodies [ momentum, footsoldiers ] and 2,500,000 for DNC with half the momentum of RNC. Still makes RNC more important, but also makes DNC important for primaries.

I'm sure they would not give all the money they have to the person they endorse. Perhaps 7,000,000 for RNC plus all the other goodies [ momentum, footsoldiers ] and 2,500,000 for DNC with half the momentum of RNC. Still makes RNC more important, but also makes DNC important for primaries.

Roughly speaking the Dems had 1/5 as much as money. So perhaps 2 million versus 9-10 million.

And, of course, the DNC wouldn't support anybody but Carter in the primaries so I imagine I'll reserve them both for the general (though, I suppose, you could steal the other side's campaign committee… assuming that Congress Forever has the campaign committees modelled they really need to be brought into President Forever).

That is very true. Although I think it'd be an exploit to do that, - I personally like my games to be as realistic as possible. Any way, 10,000,000 to 2,000,000 sounds good for money.

Also that's very true, - they would be better for the general election only.

Version 1.04

- AFL-CIO has their historical 11 million dollar campaign resources (technically it represents all of Labor's money in that election)

- Democratic National Committee added, with 4.6 million dollars - which is the portion of their 16 million they directly backed Carter with

- Republican National Committee now has 23 million dollars (i.e. 5 times the DNC to reflect the 77-16 million actual amount of money)

- DNC, RNC, AFL-CIO, NRA, and Teamsters upped in PIP cost in order to prevent the other side from stealing their resources

- Teamsters now back Reagan/Republican as historically

- Education Association added as Carter Endorser with the issue of Education

- Senator Dale Bumpers (D-AR) added as a Vice-Presidential option

- UAW added as Kennedy endorser

- In answer to thread question, Jerry Brown has 3 million dollars because that is his historical resources (though he only ended up spending 2 million)

- Howard Baker has new Crusader: Senator William Cohen (R-Maine)

- Governor Hugh Carey has new Crusader: Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-NY)

- Tsongas & Kennedy family eliminated, Joan Kennedy added to Kennedy (Carter relied on his Crusaders & Mondale, while Kennedy had to do more personal campaigning)

- Representative Dan Rostenkowski (D-IL) added as Endorser, as he represented the Daley machine

- Endorser Howard Baker, along with John Jacob Roberts & Ted Stevens (Howard Baker loyalists) eliminated for the primaries

- Kennedy's funds adjusted to historical 16 million

- Jerry Brown's issues updated

- Issues updated slightly (mentions wage/price controls more, mentions Kennedy's sort-of eventual support for balanced budgets; Military Spending turned into Military and mentions Draft registration - Kennedy against, Carter for)

- Total Party money adjusted to historical totals of 29.4 million for Democrats, 29.2 million for Republicans, and 17.6 million for John Anderson

You can download the latest version here.

The TheorySpark Team

- Democratic National Committee added, with 4.6 million dollars - which is the portion of their 16 million they directly backed Carter with

The 4.6 million represents the limitations of the FECA law, which allows 2 cents per voter adjusted for inflation (or something like that) to be directly used in support of a Presidential Committee's candidate. In this case I figured the Republicans had so much more money that they'd figure out a way around some of those legal restrictions.

- Total Party money adjusted to historical totals of 29.4 million for Democrats, 29.2 million for Republicans, and 17.6 million for John Anderson

That's how much they spent, but on second consideration I might give the Republicans 29.4 million because they could technically have spent the last 200 grand.

As for Anderson, the FEC gave him his money after the fact so I feel that what he spent represents a better figure than what he could technically have spent (since what he spent is pretty much all he could raise and get as a loan against his FEC money).

Archived