270soft Forum

1980 Beta Scenario

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just finished my first playthorough. Great job theoryspark! I got the exact 1980 results as Reagan exept Minn went to me.

Worked for me... though it is not very well balanced. It accurately replicates the huge boost Carter received, yet fails to consider the fall in Carter support towards the end of the campaign when Americans grew impatient with Carter's strategy. Kennedy has almost zero chance of pulling off the nomination.

It worked for me. Sigh. Ok, I'll see if I can do anything on my end and if not I'll bug the Dev Team.

What helps is save games before the problem, that always lead to the problem. So if you turn on autosave after every turn, get the access violation error, re-load, and get it again—that's a keeper, and useful.

Worked for me... though it is not very well balanced. It accurately replicates the huge boost Carter received, yet fails to consider the fall in Carter support towards the end of the campaign when Americans grew impatient with Carter's strategy. Kennedy has almost zero chance of pulling off the nomination.

Mathematically, Kennedy did have about a zero percent chance of winning the nomination once he screwed up his entrance. His late surge never changed the math element. It is possible to win as Kennedy against Computer Carter although I'm dubious if a Human Kennedy could beat Human Carter.

Further a lot of Kennedy's late surge was a) knowing he couldn't win, he became a much better politician & B) knowing Carter couldn't lose, people who didn't want to have Kennedy to win could now vote against Carter as a protest move.

However I think possibly two events could be included to give Kennedy a better chance. One would be in December, and is "Kennedy Finds His Voice" or some such thing and represents a "what-if" scenario of him doing that and the second would be around New York (when Kennedy considered getting out in real life, but then he won) and a similar thing. Give the first 20% or so chance of working, and the second 40% or so. Would make Kennedy a little easier to play as, and perhaps trouble a human Carter player a touch.

Hi guys,

The problem is with the event "War! Soviets Invade ..." It's Event number 11, I believe. There is no Effect associated with this Event's Outcome. Add an Effect and the error should be fixed. We'll issue an updated scenario once we're able to.

Anthony Burgoyne

TheorySpark.com

Also, there's a goof: Virginia has only one delegate on the GOP side. That seems a little low to me.

Edit: And that seems to be a "placeholder" for dating Virginia's selection process. If worse comes to worse, I can always dig up the date of the GOP convention that year; some of my professors did work studying that convention (as I did work studying the one this year).

The bothersome thing is in at least one other event I was using a dummy outcome to avoid exactly that error.

I noticed a typo in the Right position on the Tehran Hostages. It says "get back the hostage" when it should be hostages. Center has a typo at negotiation, as does center-left.

Ouch. You'd think a professional writing minor (i.e. me) could spell… but you be wrong :).

Also, there's a goof: Virginia has only one delegate on the GOP side. That seems a little low to me.

Edit: And that seems to be a "placeholder" for dating Virginia's selection process. If worse comes to worse, I can always dig up the date of the GOP convention that year; some of my professors did work studying that convention (as I did work studying the one this year).

Based on my information Virginia, Colorado, and Washington state did not hold Presidential contests on the GOP side in 1980. Therefore 1 delegate and an immediate win by Reagan is required to apply the lock icon to the states at the opening of the scenario.

I know Virginia had a convention in '80 in early June, if nothing else to select delegates to the convention. That would've been the first weekend in June if I had to guess, but I'll ask. But there would have at least been a delegate selection contest, and VA did have a full slate at the convention as per one of CQ's publications.

I know Virginia had a convention in '80 in early June, if nothing else to select delegates to the convention. That would've been the first weekend in June if I had to guess, but I'll ask. But there would have at least been a delegate selection contest, and VA did have a full slate at the convention as per one of CQ's publications.

Was it contested? Or was it more like "Virginia needs to have a presence at the convention"? (Because you're right in that those states did attend the convention but I remain pretty sure that they not have competitive events.)

Version 1.01

- error with event outcome effect fixed

- Some additional outcomes added for other events: i.e. when Jimmy Carter takes a stand by cutting grain sales he does well personally, but the left side of

Foreign Policy drops in momentum as the public wants more hardline solutions. Issue Centres may now move as well, as the public shifts to wanting something done.

- typos pointed out in the thread fixed

The TheorySpark Team

EM,

If it was uncontested, it was because the primary was effectively already over and Reagan was the presumptive nominee by June. If there had still been a contest, there would have been a fight; I'll try to check the convention data, but I'm pretty sure there were supporters of both Reagan and others there.

FWIW, VA's convention system is the second-most studied in the nation (after Iowa). I'm at William and Mary, and I know the professors who did the old studies (and I'm doing the ones nowadays even though I'm still an undergraduate; it's now something of a pet project of mine).

If it was uncontested, it was because the primary was effectively already over and Reagan was the presumptive nominee by June. If there had still been a contest, there would have been a fight; I'll try to check the convention data, but I'm pretty sure there were supporters of both Reagan and others there.

Sure, if you have data on the Presidential part of the Virginia conventions I'll add it in.

From CQ's National Party Conventions 1831-2004:

Virginia: 51

Washington: 37

Colorado: 31

If you have any more delegate questions, just ask.

Thanks. Dates for those three contests?

To be honest I need delegate numbers for most Republican states (all but: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Illinois, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maine) as well as Democratic non-primary states. My source covered the Democratic primaries, and TIME / NYTimes gave me some Republican numbers. Everything else is roughed out based on previous/next years and knowing the total number of delegates.