270soft Forum

Scenario Idea

Since there are two new scenarios that unrealistically favor the democrats why don't we make a scenario that unrealistically favors the GOP. Here it is:

During the Carter years the 22nd amendment is repealed. In 1980 Ronald Reagan is elected bring in one of the greatest era in the countries history. Originally deciding not to run in 1988 under pressure from the base rus again and again. He is president until 2006 at 95 when he dies leaving his new VEEP George W. Bush as prseident for two years. The country has thrived for the past 28 years and the Reagan era is over. The GOP dominates congress and nearly all states are solid Republican but Bush has messed up. The economy has worsened since Reagan died and Bush has threatened to invade Iraq. Still though the GOP is heavily favored in '08. So any interst. Not very realistic but not many scenarios are. Anyone wanna help.

• Upvote 1

Since there are two new scenarios that unrealistically favor the democrats why don't we make a scenario that unrealistically favors the GOP. Here it is:

During the Carter years the 22nd amendment is repealed. In 1980 Ronald Reagan is elected bring in one of the greatest era in the countries history. Originally deciding not to run in 1988 under pressure from the base rus again and again. He is president until 2006 at 95 when he dies leaving his new VEEP George W. Bush as prseident for two years. The country has thrived for the past 28 years and the Reagan era is over. The GOP dominates congress and nearly all states are solid Republican but Bush has messed up. The economy has worsened since Reagan died and Bush has threatened to invade Iraq. Still though the GOP is heavily favored in '08. So any interst. Not very realistic but not many scenarios are. Anyone wanna help.

Bob Dole should be a candidate. Finally Bob's turn.

During the Carter years the 22nd amendment is repealed.

I think that might be the most unrealistic part: The LBJ->Nixon->Ford->Carter superfecta spurring America to get rid of Executive term limits. A mulligan amendment might have been more likely.

• Upvote 1

Not to be the bearer of bad news but any party that would control the White House for 26 years would probably have trouble getting re-elected. Since Reagan, a great president, died the popularity for Republicans would plummet and the popularity for Democrats would go up. I believe that the Republican incumbent should have to fight to win the White House.

By the way, Gore winning Texas is absolutely preposterous, the last Democrat that won Texas was Carter and we already know what a disaster he was. LBJ won Texas in 1964 and he was a great president.

Well I kind of agree there and it will be competitive. California will probably be in the red colum or a least leaning red since their boy was there for 26 years. The economy is still thriving though Bush hasn't helped. Its gonna be close but some swing states will be solid GOP.

• Upvote 1

By the way, Gore winning Texas is absolutely preposterous, the last Democrat that won Texas was Carter and we already know what a disaster he was. LBJ won Texas in 1964 and he was a great president.

Clinton lost Texas by only 3 points in 1992 and 5 points in 1996. Between 1960 and 1996 the Democrats won West Virginia 8 out of 10 times, usually by 10 points or more. Today it's considered a safe state for the GOP. Stranger things have happened than Texans voting for a Democrat.

Clinton lost Texas by only 3 points in 1992 and 5 points in 1996. Between 1960 and 1996 the Democrats won West Virginia 8 out of 10 times, usually by 10 points or more. Today it's considered a safe state for the GOP. Stranger things have happened than Texans voting for a Democrat.

True but Clinton still lost Texas, twice. For Democrats to win West Virginia makes more sense particularly because of the fact that both their senators and governor are Democrats. Today West Virginia is no longer a safe state for the GOP and every single Democratic president since 1916 has won West Virginia. President Clinton won the state twice and Senator Clinton polls higher in that state than Obama or McCain.

I would also add some liberal candidates too for the Democrats. My feeling is that after 26 years of conservatism, many Democrats would want a liberal democrat to counterbalance conservative effects.

candidates-

demos

bill clinton

john kerry

howard dean

jesse jackson

ted kennedy

reps

dubya

colin powell

bob dole

I think Mccain would be a good candiate too. Since they'res no 9/11 Rudy doesn't rise to fame. Maybe Huckabee he would still probably be governor. Pataki? Frist? Thompson? Also I'll cut one of the issues and make term limits one.

• Upvote 1

I think Mccain would be a good candiate too. Since they'res no 9/11 Rudy doesn't rise to fame. Maybe Huckabee he would still probably be governor. Pataki? Frist? Thompson? Also I'll cut one of the issues and make term limits one.

pataki

allen

idk about frist

If we split the difference and say Republicans regain the House in 1990?

Speaker- Robert Michel

House Majority Leader- Dick Armey

House Minority Leader- Tom Foley

Senate Majority Leader- Bob Dole

Senate Minority Leader- George Mitchell

Just to let everyone know I'm starting this on the weekend. I'm using the current US scenario as a base with issues changed around a little. For example Roe V Wade is overturned and Abortion is banned so the description for the left would have to be changed a little. I may make the issue centers a little more conservative.

• Upvote 1