270soft Forum

After Gore: 2008

Many historians would call the 2004 presidential election as crazy as the one in 2000. On the Democratic side, Lieberman was dropped from the ticket due to controversial remarks regarding his support for an invasion of Iraq. He decided to challenge Gore for the nomination but was met with little support. He was joined in his challenge by Ohio congressman Dennis Kucinich, a one-issue candidate who supported single-payer healtcare, and the Rev. Al Sharpton, who criticized Gore for his lack of support for far-left policies. None of these candidates ever got close to Gore however. Gore would chose populist Senator John Edwards for VP.

On the Republican side, frontrunner John McCain stummbled early, as Colin Powell won several early primaries and caucusses. Conservative Fred Thompson also gained support outside of the south. Ultimately the Republican field became a battle between Thompson, Powell, and Rick Santorum. Powell received most of his support from grassroots supporters and the belief that the Republicans needed something different to defeat the 3rd-Way Democratic party. Thompson received his support from buisness and the republican party base in the south and west. Santorum gained his support from the Christian Right and Neoconservatives. Ultimately Thompson would edge out Powell due to his stronger fundraising backing. He would chose his strong ally, Sen. John McCain, for his VP.

In the general, it was a race between Gore, Thompson, and Lieberman (Lieberman chose NY mayor Michael Bloomberg to be his VP).

It was a close election, but Gore prevailed by winning all of his 2000 states, plus Nevada and Ohio, minus Florida. Lieberman only affected the race by making it closer in the pacific northwest and by swinging NH to Thompson.

In his second term Gore focused his efforts towards Universal Brodband, Universal Health Care, and confronting Global Warming. While he suceeded in passing more enviromental standards, he failed to socialize medacin or make the internet free. His precidency will be viewed as a mixed sucess, where he suceeded in pushing through moderate measures but where he failed at creating more liberal measures. Now it is time to elect a new president.

I would love some help with candidates, issues, and what states should be swing.

List of Candidates:

Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton-NY Pushing for a continuation of Gore's policies. Gore Ally

VP John Edwards-NC Supports a continuation of Gore's more liberal policies. Gore Ally

Fmr. VP Joe Lieberman-CT Wants to turn the Democrats into a true "Third-Way, Centrist Party". Gore Enemy.

Sen. Barack Obama-IL Supports more progressive policies. Gore neutral

Republicans

Sen. John McCain-AZ Wants to cut domestic spending and more aggresively confront Iran/Iraq

Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney-MA Running as a moderate who wants to "tweek" Gore's more moderate policies

Rep. Ron Paul-TX Running as a libertarian republican

Sen. Sam Brownback-KS Running as the Christian Rights Candidate

Sen. Chuck Hagel-NE Running as a staunch pro-millitary, fiscal conservative

Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee-AR Running as a southern, socially conservative populist

Independents

Mayor Mike Bloomberg-NY Running as a reformer

FYI, the senate is in the control of the Dems, 53-47, as it was 50-50 after 2004. Dems won in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee (Due to Gore's strong support of Harold Ford Jr.)

Sounds like a good idea. I do believe that Clinton would have an immense lead over the other candidates though because he is a skilled politician, far more than Lieberman or Obama. And I too like the West Wing.

Yeah. A three-way split between them would be good, with Clinton the favored, as she was this year, Lieberman in a close second, and Obama taking a lead in some swing primaries, including those he's done well in this year.

Now if only the GOP had someone as good as Vinick... :P

Yeah. A three-way split between them would be good, with Clinton the favored, as she was this year, Lieberman in a close second, and Obama taking a lead in some swing primaries, including those he's done well in this year.

Now if only the GOP had someone as good as Vinick... :P

The only Republican that would come close to Vinick would be Guiliani. They both have similar stances on many issues, they're both liberal-moderate republicans and they're both from solid Democratic states where they are very popular. Then there need to be traditional conservatives who are like Butler and Walken.

I'm glad this is getting a good response. As far as winnability for the GOP, it will be just as winnable as 2000 was. The GOP will be down a little, but lets remember that this 2008 is not the 2008 of real life. States like Montana, Virginia, NC, Colorado, NM, and Nevada will not be leaning Democrat in the same way they are today. The GOP is in a situation in this scenario where they have lost four straight elections to a different kind of Democrat. Clinton and Gore were hard to put into a corner as Social Democrats who lacked values. But in this election the true centrist (Lieberman) is not a front runner. Instead it is liberals like Hillary and Edwards who are front runners. As far as GOP candidates, Rudy will not be one, as in this cannon 9/11 did not occur and he would have faded out. McCain will be the frontrunner, as he can make a case that it has been southern conservatives like Bush and Thomspon who have failed the party. Then again Huckabee can state that his vesion of southern populism will also appeal across the country, as he is less economically conservative. And then there is always Romney, who can state that he is the new face of the GOP: a moderate, progress oriented Governor. What I really need help with is who else to add to the fields. Here is who I'm considering for each party:

DEMS

Mark Warner: If he doesn't run for the senate, he could run as a Clintonian Dem

Evan Bayh: He could run as a true Gore Dem

Joe Biden: He ran in 2008

Bill Richardson: Thrid way candidate with good experience

Russ Feingold: Stuanch Liberal/Progressive who has a McCarthy/McGovernness to him

Kucinich: Ran in 2008

GOP

Hunter: Ran in 08

George Allen: Didn't lose in this cannon, so he could be the next in the line of southern conservatives

Bloomberg: I believe that he would still be a Republican because Bush was never president

I need issue help, but i'm thinking that issues like Iran and Israel should dominate foreign policy rather than Iraq.

I too believe that much of the foreign policy would be focused around Israel and Iran. With regards to the candidates, Bloomberg probably would leave the Republican Party to become an Independent. He is a life long Democrat and he only joined the Republican Party to win the NYC mayoral primaries and become mayor. If anything he is a Democrat. If he were to run it would probably be as an Independent.

I'm glad this is getting a good response. As far as winnability for the GOP, it will be just as winnable as 2000 was. The GOP will be down a little, but lets remember that this 2008 is not the 2008 of real life. States like Montana, Virginia, NC, Colorado, NM, and Nevada will not be leaning Democrat in the same way they are today. The GOP is in a situation in this scenario where they have lost four straight elections to a different kind of Democrat. Clinton and Gore were hard to put into a corner as Social Democrats who lacked values. But in this election the true centrist (Lieberman) is not a front runner. Instead it is liberals like Hillary and Edwards who are front runners. As far as GOP candidates, Rudy will not be one, as in this cannon 9/11 did not occur and he would have faded out. McCain will be the frontrunner, as he can make a case that it has been southern conservatives like Bush and Thomspon who have failed the party. Then again Huckabee can state that his vesion of southern populism will also appeal across the country, as he is less economically conservative. And then there is always Romney, who can state that he is the new face of the GOP: a moderate, progress oriented Governor. What I really need help with is who else to add to the fields. Here is who I'm considering for each party:

DEMS

Mark Warner: If he doesn't run for the senate, he could run as a Clintonian Dem

Evan Bayh: He could run as a true Gore Dem

Joe Biden: He ran in 2008

Bill Richardson: Thrid way candidate with good experience

Russ Feingold: Stuanch Liberal/Progressive who has a McCarthy/McGovernness to him

Kucinich: Ran in 2008

GOP

Hunter: Ran in 08

George Allen: Didn't lose in this cannon, so he could be the next in the line of southern conservatives

Bloomberg: I believe that he would still be a Republican because Bush was never president

I need issue help, but i'm thinking that issues like Iran and Israel should dominate foreign policy rather than Iraq.

gop-

charlie crist

olympia snowe

rick perry

Good ideas for candidates

As far as who will be frontrunners for the GOP: McCain, Romney, Huckabee

McCain: West and Midwest

Romney: Northeast

Huckabee: South

The other candidates: Pataki, Hagel, Snowe, Crist, Perry

Pataki: Leading in New York, 2nd in New Jersey to McCain, 2nd in Connecticut to Romney

Hagel: Leading in: Wyoming, ND, SD, Nebraska, Kansas, and Montana

Snowe: Tied with Romney in Maine

Crist: Leading in Florida

Perry: 2nd in Texas to McCain

I was wondering if people felt that Lieberman or Thompson should be in this scenario

Dems

Frontrunners

Clinton: Leading in Northeast and West Coast, as well as Ohio and Michigan, possibly Florida and Texas

Edwards: Leading in the South and center west (Hagel's states)

Other Candidates

Obama: Leading in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin

Bayh: Leading in Indiana, 2nd in Pennsylvania to Clinton

Richardson: Leading in Arizona and New Mexico, 2nd to Clinton in Colorado

Biden: 2nd in Delaware

As far as the General Election i will be making a seperate post outlining what states the Dems and GOP will be leading in and what the swing states will be

General Election

Safe Dem

New York

Massachusetts

Rhodes Island

Connecticut

Vermont

Maine

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Minnesota

California

Hawaii

D.C.

Lean Dem

Michigan

Washington

Oregon

Wisconsin

New Jersey

Safe Rep

Texas

Alabama

Mississippi

Georgia

South Carolina

Utah

Kentucky

North Dakota

South Dakota

Montana

Wyoming

Kansas

Arizona

Alaska

Oklahoma

Nebraska

Lean Rep

North Carolina

Virginia

Colorado

Indiana

Nevada

Arkansas

Louisiana

Swing States

Pennsylvania

New Hampshire

Ohio

Florida

New Mexico

West Virginia

Tennessee

Iowa

Missouri

That brings the Electoral Vote total to 200 for the Republicans, 220 for the Dems, and 96 in the middle

This election is intended to be up for grabs, though certain candidates, like McCain and Romney for the Reps and Edwards and Richardson for the Dems bring other states into play. As you can see, the swing states are more like they were in the 1990s then they are today, as the Republican party is not viewed as incompetent and overly conservative, and the dems are not viewed as the reformers who can solve all the problems (As you can tell im being feceicous). Anyway, any comments would be much abliged!

If the 2004 GOP nomination went the way you are sugesting do you really think McCain would run again. I mean if he came close to beating bush in 2000 and then in 2004 didnt even finish in the top 3 for the nomination you really think at 71 he would run agian. I would think that Powell would most likely run due to the fact that he narrowly lossed the nomination in 04.

Would McCain have run again? Probably. If he was healthy and thought that he had any chance of getting the nom this time around, I think he'd be in the race.

Powell? I doubt it. He just doesn't seem that interested in running for elective office in the first place, so I think that the '04 election would have been enough for him to swear off of doing it again.