270soft Forum

This mod has now been released - download it from the official scenarios page.

I'm having a go at doing a modification of the 2008 US scenario to include the UK (the idea being that the UK decided to join the US as the "51st state"). I am using the 2008 scenario as a starting point, then adding in the UK.

So far I've done the new map and created the new political units and am working on getting the percentages for each party and for the primaries done. I'll also be adding new endorsers for the UK, and a few new interviewers too.

As the UK's population is almost twice that of the largest (population-wise) state in the US, I thought that to join to whole thing in as one state would probably not be a good idea, especially as, voting as a whole, the UK would overwhelmingly back the Democrats. Thus I've broken the UK into five states - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, North England and South England. Although the former four (or at least Scotland, Wales and North England) will still probably vote overwhelmingly for the Democrats, I think that the Republicans may have a small chance in South England.

It will probably take me a few more days to complete, but in the meantime, I would welcome any suggestions/comments.

Here are a few endorsers you could consider:

Northern Ireland:

FM Peter Robinson (Centre-Right / Republican)

News Letter (Centre-Right)

The Irish News (Centre-Left)

Scotland:

FM Alex Salmond (Centre-Left / Democrats)

The Herald (Centre-Left)

The Scotsman (Centre or Centre-Right)

Wales:

FM Rhodri Morgan (Centre-Left / Democrats)

Western Mail (Centre-Left)

South:

Mayor Boris Johnson (Centre-Right / Republicans)

So what about UK candidates?

I suppose the Conservatives would become Republicans in this scenario, and Labour and the Liberal Democrats would become Democrats, right? If so, you could include some of them in both parties, such as Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and Nick Clegg running for the Democrats or David Cameron running for the Republicans.

Hmm... the difficulty with having candidates from the UK is the question of how they would fare in the American states. I wonder whether you would end up with the UK candidates battling over the UK states, but having no real success in the American states, meaning that the UK would be largely excluded from having any influence in choosing the presidential candidates. Any thoughts on this?

I'm thinking that if UK candidates were to be added then perhaps two/three each party would be appropriate (based on the relative population of the UK compared to the USA). Perhaps Gordon Brown and David Cameron are obvious candidates. What about Tony Blair? I should imagine that he would probably be one of the most popular British politicians in America? But then, given his record with George W. Bush, which side would he run for? Again, however, I think that it would be extremely difficult to evaluate what level of support these candidates would have in each of the American states.

The anti-statehood suggestion is interesting, but then I'm guessing that the vast majority of UK citizens would object to becoming the 51st state in real life. Would the anti-statehood candidate not simply sweep the election in the UK, making the addition of the UK relatively pointless? I think that if this scenario is going to work then it has to be assumed that (for the purposes of the scenario) opposition to the Union is not a major issue.

You could make it so the UK has a severe economic collaspe and get no help from the EU and the US bails them out in return for them being the 51st state though there are still many who object to the idea. And maybe make one or two of the UK primaries early so the UK canditates have a chance to get some mo.

• Upvote 1

OK, I've finished this scenario. I'd like to hear any suggestions/comments etc.

It's based on the standard 2008 scenario, but it adds five new states - Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, North England and South England (all with endorsers), and four new candidates - for the Democrats, Tony Blair and Ken Livingstone, and for the Republicans David Cameron and David Davis.

(Plus I've adjusted the Democrats Michigan and Florida delegates in the primaries to take account of the latest decision of the DNC).

I will leave it on here for a few days, and if I get any comments/suggestions worth implementing I will do a new version. I will then submit it to go on the official scenarios page.

Edit: Now available from the official scenarios page.

I'm not a UK expert but is it really that strongly Democratic? It may make it harder for the GOP to take it this time around. This Livingston felloe sounds like a nutter. And I think Camerons better suited as a Demo.

• Upvote 1
I'm not a UK expert but is it really that strongly Democratic? It may make it harder for the GOP to take it this time around. This Livingston felloe sounds like a nutter. And I think Camerons better suited as a Demo.

If you simply equate Labour to the Democrats and the Conservatives to the Republicans then no, Labour don't have the sort of majority that they have in the game: in South England at least, the Conservatives/Republicans would have a majority.

However, British politics is quite a lot to the left of US politics. No major political party in the UK would ever suggest anything other than that healthcare should be free for everyone. No major political party would ever suggest that guns should be legal in any way. All the major political parties are completely signed up to the idea that serious action needs to be taken to prevent climate change. I could go through almost all of the issues in the scenario and generally anything to the right of centre would be unthinkable or at least politically very unwise in the UK.

If people in the UK were thus given a choice between the Democrats and the Republicans I think that they would overwhelmingly vote for the Democrats, but perhaps begrudgingly, with many thinking that even the Democrats were unacceptably right-wing. It is of course very difficult to evaluate what percentage exactly of people would vote Democrat if the UK really did join the US as the "51st state", but I should imagine that it would quite easily be the most Democrat voting state in the US.

However, I have found an article in the Daily Telegraph (a UK newspaper) from only a few days ago where they did an opinion poll of British people to see how they would vote if they could in the US elections. 49% said they would vote for Barack Obama, and only 14% would vote John McCain (the poll was just between those two candidates, and the other 37% of people didn't express a preference). If we look at just those who expressed a preference, then, that comes out at 78% for Omaba - and that's across the whole of the UK - I presume it was more in the North/Scotland/Wales and slightly less in the South. Now of course it's a slightly different question "who do you want to be President of the US?" when the US is a different country to if the UK was part of the US, but whether the latter situation would help or hinder the Republicans I'm not sure.

As for whether David Cameron should be a Democrat, what I did was to pick two key members of the Conservative Party (one from each end of the spectrum - yes, Davis would be considered to be on the right of the party in the UK) and have them run for the Republicans. I did notice when I was doing it that Cameron actually comes out more left wing than Blair - but, yes, he really is the leader of the Conservative Party here in the UK. Since he became the leader, the Conservatives have moved to the left, and there is now little distinction between them and Labour. The Conservatives for example are very reluctant to promise to cut any taxes. I think I would have found it difficult to find two major politicians in the UK who would hold what may be regarded as "Republican views".

I do realise that the addition of the UK makes it a lot harder for the Republicans to win the election, but I think that that reflects reality - if the UK was given a vote in November, I think that reflects the way they would vote, and thus what would happen. Of course over time the Republicans especially would probably have to move to the left to accommodate the views of their new citizens. I did actually tweak a few of the positions of the candidates to the left to account for the fact that they would probably moderate their position to get support in the UK. However, with the situation in the scenario being that that the UK has only just joined, I thought that a major change in the party's positions would probably not yet have happened.

You are completely right about Ken Livingstone. Perhaps in the next version I could put some events in to make the game more accurately represent him. For example, he could compare a Jewish reporter to a concentration camp guard. Or get Hugo Chavez to offer to subsidise the country's bus service. Or invite Islamic scholar Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who believes homosexuals should be executed, suicide bombers are justified in blowing up innocent people and that the Jewish people should be destroyed, to endorse his campaign. Yet he was Mayor of London from 2000 - 2008. Perhaps that shows you something about British politics.

Just so you know this game deletes you if you become someone else's VP. As you know... a very common glitch. Is it fixable?

I haven't actually played this scenario as one of the main candidates: I played as one of the third party candidates and spacebarred through a few times so that I could see how it went all things being equal without my intervention. I don't know whether this is something that I can fix in my scenario - if anyone knows whether I can, please tell me.

It is be very easy to add Canada to this scenario as a 2.0 version!

Sorry, but that would fundamentally change the nature of the scenario: I want to keep it just the UK and the US. However, if you want to make your own scenario building on this one, then that is fine, as long as you credit me as creator of the UK part.