270soft Forum
HabsFan21

Canada 1993

Hey guys, back again, this time with a (nearly) complete rework of 1993. Map is Saskguys, as is the Campbell pic. I'm sick of emailing things, so just download it through this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/104635455/Canada_-_1993.zip.html

-I think the start is correct: Though the PCs were ahead in some polls, it was within the margin, and seen as a simple leader boost as Campbell's name was in the news for awhile. Historical results are fairly easy, however: Having Reform and the BQ mean that any fall as the Progressive Conservatives is one flat on your face. The only problem is the NDP does a bit better than they should, and the Nationals can gain speed.

-Events might be a bit screwy, ie seeing a Campbell event with Charest. I'm trying to fix it up now. World Series is in there because of the effect it had: It's hard to recover momentum when the headlines are hogged.

-Mulroney's Charisma is at 1 because he was the most hated man in Canada, despite current attempts at image revival: However, he can pull it off, if you get a little luck. Chretien's leadership, if all was right, would be 3.5 or so.

I'll enjoy hearing your feedback. Have fun.

I like it, although it is pretty easy, went 290/295 with 59% of the votes with the Liberals and probably couldve done even a bit better but a couple of the seats were within 1%. Campbell survived vs Hedy Fry too which annoyed me lol, whereas Charest lost by a lot and so did Elsie Wayne(20%+ for both of them). Other wins were Bernier as an independent(by like 30%), NDP won Saanich Gulf Islands and the BQ won 2 seats Bouchards and someone else's.

I guess since only 60% of the party's voters are committed, theres a lot of room for movement and I suppose that is true for 1993. The events almost didnt seem negative enough for the PCs sometimes either, considering they got so much bad press in reality, although i didnt pay attention to a lot of them.

The map is definitely better because of dividing some provinces into regions and its easier to campaign.

One other thing is that fundraising abilities are way too high i think, i had +6 or 7 momentum and was raising 450000 per day, which by the time i got up to 10 or 11 was like 600 or 700 thousand.

Thats very true. Another thing is that I always get a bunch of error messages at the start, but the game plays out ok. Though thats probably because I mistakenly copied it into the original 1993 scenario and it overwrote the game <_<

Thats very true. Another thing is that I always get a bunch of error messages at the start, but the game plays out ok. Though thats probably because I mistakenly copied it into the original 1993 scenario and it overwrote the game <_<

The problem can probably be solved by getting rid of the endorser file, as I didn't include one in the scenario and the old one has issues not related to the new one.

I didn't like endorsements being disabled for Bloq player.

I respect the effort to try and get player portraits from the right period, eg Charest. (There is a correct Campbell portrait in other scenarios)

I enjoyed the variation in the game that the different map brought.

The length of the campaign made the game too long (was it really as long as this?)

I agree that it was too easy to earn campaign funds.

Party relations file needs amending to get it to work.

I'm never sure what is the best way to define the starting position in historical scenarios. It always seems odd to start with the incumbent party way behind.

I would have liked to have seen the party goals done.

Initial impression is that the game is not biased against the PC enough to give game results close to the actual result more often than not.

Overall, a worthy effort that could be improved with minor tweaking.

I didn't like endorsements being disabled for Bloq player.

Well, I'll have to put some decent endorsements in first. In the process of working on it.

I respect the effort to try and get player portraits from the right period, eg Charest. (There is a correct Campbell portrait in other scenarios)

How is the one in the scenario not "correct"?

The length of the campaign made the game too long (was it really as long as this?)

According to the book I have, dissolved September 8th, election on the 25th of October.

I would have liked to have seen the party goals done.

There are: PC=Minority (Any victory would have done), Liberal majority, Reform opposition, Bloc 45 seats, NDP 10%/35 seats.

I'm never sure what is the best way to define the starting position in historical scenarios. It always seems odd to start with the incumbent party way behind.

Initial impression is that the game is not biased against the PC enough to give game results close to the actual result more often than not.

It's just that the PC campaign in real life was pretty awful, so the actual result is an extreme. I've had dry runs (Be the Nationals/NLP, and just spacebar through) where the Conservatives get 1-6 seats, so it is possible.

Enabling Bloq endorsements can simply be done by changing it from a regional to a national party.

The Campbell pic looks to me like it was taken at least 5 years later.

Party goals (which you quote) to me look incomplete with some goals being more detailed than others.

The challenge with playing any historical scenario is to see if a particular party ends up doing better or worse than they actually did. Any 1993 scenario will be less fun because it would be very difficult to have the PC perform worse than they actually did. Of all the Canada scenarios I have developed myself, the one I was least happy with was 1993 and i think this was the main reason.

I really enjoyed the scenario, OldPC. There were some unrealistic results happening in my game, like Reform winning a couple of seats in Toronto, but overall those things were minor and a problem with the game engine and not with the scenario itself. I think it would be great for a multiplayer game, since all 5 major parties are competitive, and even National has a shot at a seat.

I really enjoyed the scenario, OldPC. There were some unrealistic results happening in my game, like Reform winning a couple of seats in Toronto, but overall those things were minor and a problem with the game engine and not with the scenario itself. I think it would be great for a multiplayer game, since all 5 major parties are competitive, and even National has a shot at a seat.

Mel Hurtig wins his seat most of the time for the National Party, even when the Liberals won the other 25 in Alberta :huh:

or at least that is my experience.