270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spleinmuncher

Israeli Elections Scenario

So, I have ventured out and decided to try Campaigns forever with a spiffy new Israeli scenario. I am pretty far into the scenario, having the regions, parties, and issues all worked out. I still need endorsers, events, and some minor touch-ups, but all looks pretty well so far!

I know from what I have read thus far that proportional representation is pretty hard to model in the American version of the game (which is why I plan to make a Chancellor Forever port sometime in the future). That being said, I have figured out a nifty way to implement at least partial proportional representation: play the entire game in the primaries. It may not be as exciting, but the basic idea is to make one party for the game (the second one is basically blank), and have all of the "candidates" be real-life parties. Its actually worked out pretty well, though I think I am getting some janky results because I set the undecideds to high...

Anyway, what I have planned/have done:

-15 distinct parties

-16 regions

-20 endorsers (all national, some foreign)

-10 or so random events

-anything else people suggest!

Here are some preliminary screenshots (I am NOT ready to beta test this yet!):

2292152479_f5bd81c4d0_o.jpg

Select your candidate...

2292938150_f67a32e510.jpg

The national situation a few weeks into the election

2292938324_5f104ed70c.jpg

Same election, a close-up view of the Yizre'el region, where the two Arab parties have their strongholds

2292938650_69324e76d9.jpg

A view of our parties on the political spectrum...

2292153673_5f8c3afb28.jpg

A close-up view of Be'er Shiva in the practice run where I played as the minor Shinui party

Feedback is appreciated!

What's YIM?

Its a program put on by the Presbyterian Church in Canada called Youth In Mission (YIM). I really don't know what it has to do with this board, but this is what I got when I googled YIM.

• Upvote 2

I'd also be glad to help, though unfortunately the game we need a whole new engine (a new game) to properly handle Israeli politics (proportional representation, coalition building, etc.).

@Arach: 15 in all, 3 major, maybe 4 or so medium sized, and the rest are basically either niche parties (like the Arab parties, which are only strong in certain regions) or just fringe versions of more mainstream counterparts (National Front being both an excellent and frightening example). Anyway, I have tried them all at least once, and all are quite fun to play.

@Sum1: I would generally have to agree with, though this game does simulate many parts of the system quite well - plus, the fickle nature of PE42008 perfectly reflects the fickle nature of Israeli politics :D . In all seriousness, while coalition building is obviously not a likely scenario, the game is still quite fun, with some very interesting results.

There are two ways I am considering doing it:

1) The way you see now, wherein each region has 1 delegate per every thousand voters the region would have assuming 60% turnout. The problem with this is 2-fold: first, it assumes 60% turnout, and second, the game is not built to portion out delegates based on %'s (15% and 18% both earn the same amount of delegates, probably good for district voting in US primaries, but proportional...not so much).

2) The second way, and the way I am probably going to do it, portions out 1200 delegates to the regions based on population, with every region having a 2% cutoff (like the real Israeli system). This one would be better at portioning out delegates, since there are far fewer of them, but the real threshold of 2% is national, not regional. However, the final delegate counts would be convenient in that you could basically convert them into Knesset seats right on the spot.

Problems I am currently having:

-Ganging up: all the parties almost ALWAYS attack the leading party (usually Likud or Kadima) basically exclusively, which of course catapults another party to the lead, which starts the cycle all over; its basically political musical chairs. I am guessing this is an AI issue, as my party relations changes do not have much affect. Being in the lead pretty much guarantees at best -5 momentum.

-Minor Party inflation: I guess this is also an engine issue, since it usually happens in the original scenarios as well. Basically, the minor parties (especially Green, Ale Yarok, and National) always make huge leaps to well within Knesset representation (I had the Greens get 11% one game, including 6% in the West Bank :o ). I have tried deflating their stats (and money) to all bounds of reason, but they still manage to come back...

Anyway, thanks for the offer of help, I'll definitely need it ;)

@Arach: 15 in all, 3 major, maybe 4 or so medium sized, and the rest are basically either niche parties (like the Arab parties, which are only strong in certain regions) or just fringe versions of more mainstream counterparts (National Front being both an excellent and frightening example). Anyway, I have tried them all at least once, and all are quite fun to play.

@Sum1: I would generally have to agree with, though this game does simulate many parts of the system quite well - plus, the fickle nature of PE42008 perfectly reflects the fickle nature of Israeli politics :D . In all seriousness, while coalition building is obviously not a likely scenario, the game is still quite fun, with some very interesting results.

There are two ways I am considering doing it:

1) The way you see now, wherein each region has 1 delegate per every thousand voters the region would have assuming 60% turnout. The problem with this is 2-fold: first, it assumes 60% turnout, and second, the game is not built to portion out delegates based on %'s (15% and 18% both earn the same amount of delegates, probably good for district voting in US primaries, but proportional...not so much).

2) The second way, and the way I am probably going to do it, portions out 1200 delegates to the regions based on population, with every region having a 2% cutoff (like the real Israeli system). This one would be better at portioning out delegates, since there are far fewer of them, but the real threshold of 2% is national, not regional. However, the final delegate counts would be convenient in that you could basically convert them into Knesset seats right on the spot.

Problems I am currently having:

-Ganging up: all the parties almost ALWAYS attack the leading party (usually Likud or Kadima) basically exclusively, which of course catapults another party to the lead, which starts the cycle all over; its basically political musical chairs. I am guessing this is an AI issue, as my party relations changes do not have much affect. Being in the lead pretty much guarantees at best -5 momentum.

-Minor Party inflation: I guess this is also an engine issue, since it usually happens in the original scenarios as well. Basically, the minor parties (especially Green, Ale Yarok, and National) always make huge leaps to well within Knesset representation (I had the Greens get 11% one game, including 6% in the West Bank :o ). I have tried deflating their stats (and money) to all bounds of reason, but they still manage to come back...

Anyway, thanks for the offer of help, I'll definitely need it ;)

Are you able to change the number of voters who are firmly alienated from those parties? That might work well to cap their support (the Arab parties, for example, barely mustered a third of the potential seats they could get from the whole Arab population, something that should be simulated). Also, I've noticed that giving candidates 0% support in scenarios makes it very tough for them to break out of that - it's something else you could try doing.

I agree, a good Israeli scenario is needed, and spleinmuncher did have a good system by which to run it, by just using the P4E+P2008 primaries engine (I suppose, though it was never actually said, a party dropping out and endorsing another could indicate coalition building). It might be neat to see someone take this up (as spleinmuncher seems to have been absent a while), though I've got quite a few planned projects of my own right now and a busy RL and likely won't have time at the moment, myself.