270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
freebrtiger

bug with acitvities during primary season

why is it that candidates sometimes dont do the activities they are scheduled to do? does it have to do with limited cps? or is it an error since i didnt recognized this playing with older versions of the game?

sometimes when a candidate is for instance scheduled to improve his issue familarity or do barnstorming or sth. nothing happens but resting, which brings him new energy points but is making the game far less fun

I've seen the same thing in my primaries, and had wondered whether it was a bug or a feature. Campaigns are under-established in the primaries, and I thought that campaign events or issue/debate prep or campaign developing (yes, I've seen that go awry too) might fail due to that lack of organization. It's a fairly reasonable, if undocumented, possible effect of low campaign organization.

I haven't noticed any failed activities during a general election, but I may not have been paying attention as closely. (I'm poring over all my recaps during primaries now, to see whether some activity has misfired.)

So, can we get a ruling, and (if applicable) a fix? Much appreciated.

i agree, it could be a feature concerning barnstorming, campaign speeches etc.

but debating preparation and issue knowledge practising? you know, learning on the issues is something everyone of us could do by buing 10 newspapers or go to the library, i dont think that this should be in any way restricted as not the debate preparations. and on barnstorming, campaign speeches, etc: it would be ok that those could not be done sometime, but then please make it clear, before players have to plan the week for theyre candidates, so you can set priorities...

This is a bug in the game I've seen most often in the 2004 scenario. It doesn't happen every time, but usually happens in the Primaries when you have all of the candidates turned on. Sometime in November the activities just stop happening for a few weeks. You can still do everything that isn't an activity (foot soldiers, create/run ads, etc) but the other activities are stuck. For example I might schedule for the week barnstorming, issue research, debate prep, campaign development, and when the week complete none of the activities or only one of them complete. In these cases I have plenty of money and energy.

I notice it the most when I'm playing Powell in 2004. He goes into a coma for 2-4 weeks every time I play him. It happens with the Democrats in 2004 too, but not as often. I've played numerous games where the Democrats were fine.

I was thinking the game engine was having trouble managing the activities of the large number of computer players and turned off some of them (Graham, Braun). I'm not sure if that made a difference, but I don't see the bug as often when they're turned off.

I noticed this in other scenarios before updates to the program earlier this year. I don't think the 2004 Scenario has been updated the way the 2008 and others have been throughout the year.

It does get a little frustrating when you're playing Powell running a longshot campaign against Bush, on the verge of hitting "3" in establishment and headway in key states, and then getting stopped cold in December unable to do anything for several weeks.

There is your answer. Low establishment = Higher chance of activities not happening

I have to disagree.

I could see some activities not occuring occasionally, but not all of them not occuring for several consecutive weeks at a time. There's no way this is part of the games design. Also a "2" is not really a low establishment rating. It's the starting rating for pretty much all candidates in standard length campaigns.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

I've noticed in the primary season that when I scheduled more than one "develop campaign" sessions within one week that only the first one got done and the others got ignored

To clarify the problem, this is not a case of, for instance, a barnstorming event going poorly and there being no mention of it in the weekly log. The intended activity does not happen, and the candidate gains energy points for the rest he's taking during that day. (This softens the blow, but not by that much.)

Unlike Non-Voting-Cloggie, I can perform multiple "develop campaign" activities in one week. Not always, but usually, or at least more often than not. (I've learned not to develop my campaigns in the primaries, but that's a strategic matter.)

Glad to see this is being looked into, and also kinda glad it's not a feature. I'm having tough enough times winning in the primaries without this working against me.