270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieRaygun04

2001 and 2005 New Jersey Elections

A few years ago I made two New Jersey scenarios for the original President Forever, and since then I've updated them for the new game with primary races and other improvements. Here are some screenshots of 2001. First, the Republican Primary:

nj01alq7.th.jpg

And the general election:

nj01btl5.th.jpg

And now the 2005 Republican primary:

nj05alk7.th.jpg

And the 2005 general election:

nj05bzp5.th.jpg

Both of these elections are uphill battles for the Republican side, with 2001 being nearly impossible (though I did win once as Schundler). If you'd like a copy of one or both, let me know in this thread and I'll e-mail them to you.

i would like a copy too! hcallega@yahoo.com

Also, im interested in making other state scenarios and i was wondering how u dealt with the electoral college issue?

I have e-mailed copies of both to each of you. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions or other comments. Enjoy!

Also, im interested in making other state scenarios and i was wondering how u dealt with the electoral college issue?

Good question. It was actually a bit of a strange process, but I was able to come up with a system that (in about 30 test runs of each scenario) has only resulted in a differene between the popular winner and the electoral winner once.

First, I divided the state into counties (this works well for New Jersey, since there are only 21. For a bigger state like Texas or California though, you might want to use congressional districts instead...unless you are really bored).

Then I went to the New Jersey Division of Elections website and looked at the 2001 election results. I took the number of votes cast in each county and divided it by 1,000. This number was what I used for the electoral votes for each county. I did the same for Democratic and Republican primary delegates.

Alternatively, you could just use the county population as your starting point rather than the number of votes cast, but I thought that using the latter better represented the electoral value of each county.

Hope that helps!

I have e-mailed copies of both to each of you. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions or other comments. Enjoy!

Good question. It was actually a bit of a strange process, but I was able to come up with a system that (in about 30 test runs of each scenario) has only resulted in a differene between the popular winner and the electoral winner once.

First, I divided the state into counties (this works well for New Jersey, since there are only 21. For a bigger state like Texas or California though, you might want to use congressional districts instead...unless you are really bored).

Then I went to the New Jersey Division of Elections website and looked at the 2001 election results. I took the number of votes cast in each county and divided it by 1,000. This number was what I used for the electoral votes for each county. I did the same for Democratic and Republican primary delegates.

Alternatively, you could just use the county population as your starting point rather than the number of votes cast, but I thought that using the latter better represented the electoral value of each county.

Hope that helps!

10gwimic@hawken.edu

thanks