270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abe Lincoln

1860 Scenario

I've decided to start work on an 1860 scenario. I've got canidates but I'm still looking fo advice on issues and canidates position on these issues.

Republicans

• Abe Lincoln
  • Edward Bates
  • Salmon P. Chase
  • William H. Seward
  • Simon Cameron

Constituional Union

• John Bell
  • Sam Houston

Southern Democrat

• John Cabell Breckenridge

Northern Democrat

• Daniel S. Dickinson
  • Stephen A. Douglas
  • James Guthrie
  • Robert M.T. Hunter
  • Andrew Johnson
  • Joseph Lane
  • Horatio Seymour

One book I would recommend to find out more about the GOP side at the least is Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

If you can figure out how to model this within a primary system, you're a better person than me.

Alright here are the issues I worked out and if I have something wrong or if something shouldn't be listed, let me know...

Slavery(the candidate's feeling of it), Rights of Escaped Slaves, Missouri Compromise, Tariffs(on manufactured goods, Industrialism, Kansas-Nebraska Act, Right of Secession, Dred Scott Case(ie expansion into free states), John Brown/Harper's Ferry, Black Literacy, Black Suffrage, Military Funding, Southern Aristocracy, Transcontinental Railroad(should it have gone through south or north?), Relationships with European Powers, Manifest Destiny, and (Role of) Central Government.

My recomendation for the primary (for what it's worth) would be to set all of the dates as caucuses on the day of the convention. The number of delegates for each state can be found in CQ's book of political conventions. I can get that data for you, if you wish.

You know I've thought about that... but you could use the state party conventions... at least for the republicans. as for the democrats thats a bit trickier...

and I just got Team of Rival and it is amazing!

I'm really sorry about canceling this scenario too but I've been looking around and there is no where near enough data for this election. Sorry

Doing elections that far back would difficult. Dunno how the game could model the slower travel of the day, to say nothing of the difficulties in reaching California and Oregon before the transcontinental railroad was completed. It 1860 it took 4-5 days to get from New York to Chicago even if the only stops were for coal and water.