270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abe Lincoln

Greatest Presidents in 2008

I'm making a scenario which will have the greatest presidents in history running for president in 2008. I'm looking for some advice for canidates individual positions, party positions, and any other advice possible. Here's what I'm thinking for canidates right now.

Federalist

• George Washington
  • John Adams

Democratic-Republican

• Thomas Jefferson
  • James Madison
  • James Monroe
  • John Quincy Adams

Whig

• William Henry Harrison
  • John Tyler

National Union

• Abraham Lincoln
  • Andrew Johnson

Democrat

• Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • John F. Kennedy
  • Harry Truman
  • Woodrow Wilson

Republican

• Theodore Roosevelt
  • Ulysses S. Grant
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Ronald Regan

I fully encourage the creation of this scenario, however I have a problem with classifying Harrison, Tyler and Johnson as 'the greatest presidents in history'. Harrison was around for a little over a month, and Tyler and Johnson, aside from being universally despised during their tenure, didn't accomplish anything that would merit the title of 'greatest'.

Abraham Lincoln was actually a Republican [ Or Whig ] it's hard to tell because the latter was the formers successor and it happened during his tenure. You really shouldn't add the National Union, cause it was more of a party designed just to give fervor to his campaign, - and was as you can tell also a party for the Union during the civil war. Since we don't have a civil war right now, it's inappropriate to add it.

Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore were both Whigs. John Quincy Adams switched to the Whig party when he served in the House.

I would suggest that you abandon party labels. The idea of a Republican today and the idea of a Republican 100 years ago was very different (there are still some people who will not vote Republican to this day because they blame Lincoln for the civil war). I think it may be more helpful to assign candidates based on the eras they served 1800-1850, 1850-1900, etc or the geographical regions they were from, as some designers have done in the past.