270soft Forum
Treasurer

Scenarios in the Planning Stages...

I think you should also make some alternative history scenarios.

I disagree. I think YOU should

I'll take these into consideration. GOPProgressive might be doing a New Zealand one. The only outside Europe election i have suggested for myself, is if the old Zimbabwe doesn't pop up, i would like to do a Zimbabwe-2008 version. I'll take the rest from others suggestions.

As far as the 4 numbered by elections are concerned have you any idea which you are going to do? Obviously Glasgow East or Glenrothes would be interesting, the Scottish side of the decline of NuLabour.

No, i wasn't sure which 4 i would be doing, but i will soon choose what they are. I was seriously considering the older by-elections already suggested, but i did consider doing Glasgow East myself, and now that there is a request for it, i probably will now. Gelnrothes i won't do, as i want the others to be older ones, for the sake of variety. ;)

Excellent choices. Thank you very much for all the work you are putting into all these, and starting a new era of innovation in UK scenario making. On that note, I've been thinking of doing some myself on a similar basis to some of your ones, ie the certain area of a general election. If you could help me map wise I could make some covering other areas, from the speed you are making these I take it creating a map doesn't take you very long...

I think you should also make some alternative history scenarios.

Here's some ideas for them.

1.Thatcher calls an election in 1984 after giving in to the minors.

2.Neil Kinnock, after winning in 1992, faces a tough test in 1997 aganist the young Conservative leader Michael Portillo.

3. Tony Benn, after winning a leadership election aganist Neil Kinnock, faces John Major's Conservatives in 1992.

4. Harold Wilson V Margaret Thatcher 1979.

It is a good idea!

Here my idea for some...canadian alternative history scenarios.

1. Joe Clark don't lose the budget vote but go in election 1 to 2 years after (1980-1981), the leave the time to Liberal to change leader and Clark go against any Liberal except Trudeau. The results of Quebec Referendum of 1980 stay the same or with a "no" with a less majority than reality was.

2. A 1974 election but with a reverse situation about 1972 election (a Progressive-Conservative slim win).

3. Joe Clark stay the leader of PC in 1980's. (a follow about the first idea and he win again)

4. A 1993 election without Bloc and with a Reform Party like the Credit Social in 70's. In this situation whether the Meech Lake Accord or the Charlottetown Accord Referendum pass. Mulroney pass for a hero for the resolution of constitutionnal issues but had the same scandal problem like real past. The Bloc can exist but, like the Reform, they don't have the same impact like the real 1993 election.

5. (I am a Quebecers! :P ) A 1985 provincial election without return of Robert Bourassa like Liberal Leader and, maybe, René Levesque stay leader of PQ. You can add a sovrenist "pur et dur" party with the hardliner who resign in 1983-1984 "Beau Risque" like Jacques Parizeau, Camille Laurain, Paul Marois (not tie with Pauline Marois, actual leader of PQ).

Comments!? It is just crazy idea! ;):P

Just to give you a heads-up, I'm about 65% of the way through designing a scenario of the UK 1992 election.

That'll be great, i might as well skip election'92, enabling to me to do both '74 elections. James bond72, i would say number 4 sounds most interesting, but i don't have a clue if i'll get around to doing Canadian scenario's, although there's still some provinces i would still like to see getting done.

How does GOP progressive plan to simulate the MMP system in New Zealand? Or is GOP Progressive going to do the FPP ones prior to 96?

I'll get back to you on that CCA.

Because i just love to talk, i'm going to give you a preview of what's in store in the 8 Council election scenario's. This is all about increasing the variety of council elections on offer, there's only been a handful out there.

Norwich City Council Election 2008 - This give you a chance to play as the Green Party in a very unfamiliar setting - winning seats and is the official opposition! They are second only to Labour. Lib Dems and Conservatives are far behind.

York Council election 2007 - York looks very much like a Tory town, but it is infact a left-leaning city. This is a Liberal Democrat/Labour marginal.

Blackpool Council election 2003 - A seaside town that was a formerly quite strong Tory area, but now Labour are in control. Not exactly a marginal, but it will be a tough challenge playing as the Tories. In the actual election, this was a very static council, only the Tories lost 2 seats, their hopes of a revival dashed. All other parties stayed static on seats.

Exeter Council Election 2008 - Here we go, a Lab/Con/LibDem marginal. All 3 parties within a seat of each other. Exeter is in the south west and usually votes Labour(general election) in recent times, while in an surrounding area with strong LibDem support.

Wyre Forest Council Election 2008 - Although a comfortable Conservative gained council in this election, It has an interesting setup. In 2nd place is an independent party who campaign for better health care, led by Richard Taylor, an independent MP. The actual name of the party is Independent Kidderminster Hospital and Health Concern. Not only that, but we have the Liberal party winning 6 seats, and amazingly, more popular than the Liberal Democrats and Labour.

Fife Council Election 2007 - A chance to see another Scottish council in action. This is a thrilling Lab/Libdem/SNP marginal.

Newcastle City Council Election 2004 - I wanted to do a council of a major city, and i decided on Newcastle because i didn't cover it in the Westminster election series, for the sake of variety. Only 2 parties have seats, where the Lib Dems are comfortably on 48, with Labour on 30.

Cambridge City Council Election 1984 - A more historical council to end with. Cambridge these days, is boringly solid Lib Dem, but back in 1984, any of the 3 main parties could take this, as there is only 14 seats. Labour lead on 7, the then SDP-Liberal Alliance have 4, and Conservatives on 3.

And that ends my overview. On the subject of what to do after the European scenario's, i'm tipping my hat to elections in the rest of the world. I realise, there is a definite lack of these scenario's if you haven't got the original P4E game. I was thinking of doing perhaps one from South America, Africa(which will be Zimbabwe, and perhaps the 2 Asian ones suggested. So 4 or 5 in total. After that series i'll maybe do a series of fictional scenario's, using the ones i have suggested in the Fictional Scenario idea thread, along with a completely fictional nation. In those respects, i have been thinking of doing a fictional Eastern European country, landlocked between Poland and Ukraine. called maybe "Kancholski"(very stereotypical i know lol). After that series of 5 or whatever, i'll become more randomised in what i do, as i feel i will have effectively "covered all bases" in my previous work.

I'm not one to give deadlines but, you'll be pleased to know Wales - 2007 is over 50% complete, and hopefully will be finished within 5 days. I hope you'll enjoy that one.

CCA, GOP Progressive isn't doing it anymore. I might pick it up, when i get to the non-European election scenario's i'm going to make, but i can't keep any promises.

About Wales, I'm curious to know how strong in the Plaid Cymru and in which regions?

Also, are they more pro-devolution and pro-Welsh culture and language than pro-independance for Wales?

Also, what's will be the turnout in your election?

• Upvote 1

The turnout will be 44% according to Wikipedia. Quite low then.

Plaid Cymru are strongest in central wales and to the west of central. They are strong to a lesser extent in north Wales. So, rural welsh-speaking communities are their best bet. They struggle in Labour dominated urban, south Wales, with no seats in Cardiff or Swansea, the 2 big cities, wheras the Lib Dems and Tories are getting seats(Cardiff). The more east you go, the less Welsh speakers and the border regions are stong unionists, with many English folk living in there. Plaid are able to get additional seats in the south, but when it comes to FPTP, nothing.

It's hard to say whether they are more pro-devolution than pro-independence. In the 2007 election manifesto, they do mention, yes they want an independent Wales, but their first objective is to upgrade the Assembly to a parliament, with the same powers as the Scottish one. It's hard to say because they won't talk alot about independence as it might scare many voters off, so it is better to let voters warm to the party first, and gradually devolve the Government. However, i would say they are more pro Welsh culture and pro-devolution, as the party was not formed in the interest of independence, that came later on. So the pro-Welsh culture and devolution is more ingrained in their roots/psyche.

Fictional NI scenario - ( NI party system much more similar to Scotland/Wales)

This is my next scenario. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a name for this? It's how Northern Ireland would vote if it had all the traditional British parties and one nationalist party. So Labour, Conservative, LibDem, Green, UKIP, BNP etc. The best i could think of was "Alternative Northern Ireland - Lab/Con/Lib/Nat" (Nat= Nationalist), any better names? There is no year in this, it's merely to showcase how they would perform.

Fictional NI scenario - ( NI party system much more similar to Scotland/Wales)

This is my next scenario. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a name for this? It's how Northern Ireland would vote if it had all the traditional British parties and one nationalist party. So Labour, Conservative, LibDem, Green, UKIP, BNP etc. The best i could think of was "Alternative Northern Ireland - Lab/Con/Lib/Nat" (Nat= Nationalist), any better names? There is no year in this, it's merely to showcase how they would perform.

Northern Ireland - Normalised.

from Wikipedia on North Down:

The constituency is the most propsperous in Northern Ireland and is widely considered to be the most similar to an English constituency. In part because of this the seat was the heartland of the Equal Citizenship campaign in the late 1980s which argued that political parties in Britain should organise and contest elections in Northern Ireland, in the hope that this would "normalise" the politics of the province.

Excellent, i'll use that as the title, and the source i can use to give a story background to it.

This is important announcement i'm making for the near future concerning my "to do list", but also much more. The fictional scenario's i've decided will be made sooner, than myself reaching the end of the present list. However, the release of my scenario's might become slower, but thats won't be because i'm slowing down oh no.

After the current batch of scenario's i'm making, and possibly Norwich 2008, i am wondering about forming a Scenario Creation team with other members (and future members!) specifically for the PMFE and CFE scenarios, and this would mean working on each others scenario's, one at a time but hopefully faster releases, depending on the number of people involved and how active they are. Now i don't know how much interest there would be for this, and how many would want to bother with somebody else's scenario, but i do know there are some team efforts going on already. If your willing, i would say it would be like a rotation process on who's scenario idea to do next, and the member who initially wanted to make the scenario, calls the shots. The problem with scenarios making on your own, especially large ones, it's not hard to do, but it's a daunting prospect, and it takes up so much time than you thought it would. However, with an ideal number of people (that would be a very optimistic number for this forum), you could work on another person's scenario and finish it, and then finish your own, in a much shorter time, you could do it yourself!

So i'm just feeling out for any interest here, before or if i make a thread for it. As i said, a team specifically for the PM + C scenarios, i wouldn't include PFE scenario's because A: I'm unaware of the PFE edit system and don't have Campaigns Forever, but more importantly B, the demand and popularity for PFE scenarios would just dominate the "to do" list. However, i would be willing to make maps for PFE scenario's, if i feel i have lightenend my workload, lol. So if you'd be comitted/generous enough to do other people's scenarios maybe most of the time, but get your own ones finished faster, join with me, starting probably after New Year, when i clear my workload. And 2 is always better than 1. Remember if we banged our heads together, we could finish 1 scenario a week or maybe 2, or 3? Who knows?

Ok, that'll be great. It won't come into effect until end December/January, so you guys have a good think about it.

Oh, and i'm pleased to say, i may be able to release Crewe & Nantwich By-election soon, but it's still less than half complete, lol. I think this will be only the second by-election scenario on any version. Hopefully i will have the gameplay spot on.